Prince Rupert in the top ten

[quote]People in Vancouver spend .33 per cent – one-third of one per cent – of their total family income on public transit, according to a study by Pitney Bowes MapInfo, a global positioning systems provider.

Only Torontonians, at .46 per cent, and Montrealers, at .41 per cent, spend more.

Prince Rupert, the only other B.C. city that ranked in the Top 10, placed fifth, at .29 per cent.[/quote]

Woot :smile:

canada.com/theprovince/news/ … 725abcef82

I’m not sure how spending a large portion of one’s income on transit equates to a city being “green” or not, but I DO think that for a small town, Rupert has an awesome transit system.

It’s only one side of many.  If it’s measuring the percentage of someone’s income spent on public transit, it should take into account the income levels, right?

So if they make less money in Toronto, but a bus ride costs the same as in Vancouver, then Toronto wins?  Or if a bus ride costs twice as much in Toronto than Vancouver, then Toronto wins?

If people are poor, then the money they spend on public transit is a higher percentage. 

They do compare it to spending on gas, though.  And Vancouver does well there too, despite having really high gas costs.

What they should be measuring is transit riders per capita.

I think MIG hit the nail on the head by stating that what we should really find out is whats the per capita usage of transit.

And I have heard that Rupert’s ridership is amongst the highest in the Province.  So tell me this…why is Rupert stuck with the shittiest fleet in the province.
There is a 40yr old bus kickin around this town.  Maybe they could get collectors plates and pay only 25 bucks for insurance as opposed to spending thousands on real insurance.
Like the Subway tagger says “wake up rupert”

If Prince Rupert Transit increase the bus frequency from every 30 minutes to every 10 - 15 minutes, then most likely I would take transit here. Nevermind fare increases.

[quote]And I have heard that Rupert’s ridership is amongst the highest in the Province.  So tell me this…why is Rupert stuck with the shittiest fleet in the province.
There is a 40yr old bus kickin around this town.[/quote]

Man… and I thought they already retired those three GMC New Looks from revenue service.  :unamused:

Rupert got five to seven 8 year old low-floor cheap-on-fuel buses, and yet still I see those loud guzzling fishbowls (aside from being “shopping buses”) sometimes used on regular routes.

Translink already completely replaced the whole trolley fleet with accessible ones and now in the process of ridding 15+ year old high-floors with hybrid buses.

If you’re going to wait 25 minutes for a bus, you might as well walk.  You can get to almost anywhere in Rupert in a 20 minute walk.  Unless you have mobility problems or the weather is crappy, that is.

Meh, I don’t really mind the weather.

The last time I did walk to downtown it took me nearly 19 minutes.

Very easy walk too. [size=1](mostly downhill)[/size]

Ya, but then back home is up hill… haha

Lightsabers.

[attachments over a year old automatically deleted]