Prince Rupert Harbour

Just doing a bit of reading on the early days of Rupert.
Any body know if Prince Rupert harbour had a name before the town was established?

it was called “Harbour where we smoked and dried fish”.

Clean… :smiley:

That is a very interesting question, but I see there are still some with a sense of humor… so how about Fishing Grounds. I do know that plenty of tribes met here and I am sure they traded with each other. I still find it amazing that some came all the way from the Charlottes to trade and take home slaves, or is that another Prince Rumor?

If memory serves me correctly the sea foam generated from the churning of butze rapids was known as Kaien

Lima Harbour. What do I win?

Origin Notes and History
Prince Rupert Harbour adopted in the 7th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 30 June 1908. Confirmed 8 July 1954 on 103J/8.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC’s Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Identified as Lima Harbour on GTP’s “Map of Lima Harbour and Tsimpsean Peninsula” by Fred Ritchie, PLS, DLS, 1905. “Our Company desires to discontinue the use of the names Lima Harbour and Tuck’s Inlet, and to substitute therefor ‘Prince Rupert Harbour’.” (8 February 1907 letter from D. Tate, GTPR Legal Department, to minister of the Interior, Ottawa, with accompanying GTPR blueprint #1946).
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC’s Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Extends from Lima Point (Digby Island) to Tuck Point (Tsimpsean Peninsula); the northern entrance to Prince Rupert Harbour is via Venn Passage between Grindstone and deStein Points.

env.gov.bc.ca/bcgn-bin/bcg10?name=27594

Thanks! Great information and research!

Dex , you are so fas on your feet , how do you do it ? I ham amaz abot that. your mama mus be proud for dat.

I was so bright when I was a kid, my mom called me sunny!!!  :stuck_out_tongue: