Prince Rupert city Hall doom and gloom

Yeah, you’re right.

I guess I should say that I won’t vote for someone who won’t even take 10 seconds to answer a question.

Before I had children I was more active politically, I would get out the vote for my candidate.  Now with work and kids I don’t seem to have the time to get directly involved.  But, I will be voting in November and in May.  I think in this upcoming election people may just be angry enough to vote for a fresh start.
I won’t be voting for you, Herb.  It is time for a change.

I’d like the future of Citywest to be an election issue.  It really needs to be debated openly in our community.

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]
But when it comes to actually stepping up to the plate and running for city council. Everyone scarpers. [/quote]

In the last municipal election there were 17 people running for 6 council seats - we still only got two new councillors.

[quote=“MiG”]
The great thing about democracy is that it only takes 3 seconds or so to mark an X. No need to run for council just to participate. [/quote]

I agree with this statement - but want to add that there are other ways to participate in the democratic process. In fact, without ongoing daily participation of the populace - the system stops looking like democracy pretty quickly.

My favourite soap-box topic is that people tend to forget that by simply marking an “x” in a box, this does not automatically endow the elected person with all of the knowledge and wisdom to do their job well. They NEED us to tell them how we feel, what we want and - most importantly in this town - what we WILL NOT tolerate.

Hello Everyone:

Thought that I would jump in on this debate.  All of you have made some great comments, and all we can hope for is people this time around takes this election more serious than in the past - our futures rely on sound judgment from the people who represent us. 

I also agree that Citywest needs to be on the ballot (referendum question) that is.  I think it is time for the taxpayers in this community to make a decision on the future of a soon to be redundant telephone company.  It is becoming more obvious that we can no longer compete in the market place.

So all you potential candidates, dust off your signs and start your campaigning now…