Prince Rupert All Candidates Forum

Tyler Nesbitt seems like such an innocent. I love the optimism, but think he would find Ottawa a cruel place.

I think he would be just fine. Can’t get any worse than the guy who is there already.

In 11 years, he has really done nothing for this region besides blow continual hot air.

Yeah vote for Nesbitt there might be a couple more jobs in Rupert shoving the rest of the riding’s raw logs onto ships to Japan.

We are shipping a lot of lumber. We have a mini lumber yard at the old Lindsay’s Storage lot.

hmm so lets see what Nathan has done for our area , Alaska Ferry terminal cancelled thanks to nathan, $18million in jobs and material gone,LNG called a manufacturer so they pay and have write downs according to the Manufacturing sector, Nathan calls that a subsidy, even though no money is being handed to them, but yet Nathan and his leader would give financial aid to the auto sector AGAIN, in a heartbeat, yep Nathan really wants jobs in his riding, I hope alot of NDPers vote green this time around at least they are honest about their stance to resource extraction.

Still on about the ferry terminal are we? Pissed cuz hes not anti-Canadian like you are, eh? Have you found even one politician from any party, federal or provincial that supported your position on that? Of course not, cuz you alone just can’t understand the basic concept.
Pissed his party supports 30,000 auto jobs and claiming it’s at your expense… and you say we haven’t handed over ENOUGH of the farm for LNG, cuz you can’t grasp the idea of market economics that they don’t build shit if they’re not gonna get the price for the product.
Well get this straight, Harper didn’t support a ferry terminal built with American only steel and Harper is promising $1 billion to the auto industry and Harper SOLD the GM shares and lost $3.5 billion so he could make a phoney surplus.
You’re completely screwed guy. nobody supports you. You better just stay home on election day.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Still on about the ferry terminal are we? Pissed cuz hes not anti-Canadian like you are, eh? Have you found even one politician from any party, federal or provincial that supported your position on that? Of course not, cuz you alone just can’t understand the basic concept.
Pissed his party supports 30,000 auto jobs and claiming it’s at your expense… and you say we haven’t handed over ENOUGH of the farm for LNG, cuz you can’t grasp the idea of market economics that they don’t build shit if they’re not gonna get the price for the product.
Well get this straight, Harper didn’t support a ferry terminal built with American only steel and Harper is promising $1 billion to the auto industry and Harper SOLD the GM shares and lost $3.5 billion so he could make a phoney surplus.
You’re completely screwed guy. nobody supports you. You better just stay home on election day.[/quote]

We get that you don’t like Harper, but lets put the cards on the table in the Northwest, forget about the rest of the country for the moment. Has this region suffered under the Conservatives ? Would it be any different with the other 2 parties? Are the promises made by all 3 parties realistic or just trying to bribe the voters? Are any of the promises beneficial or detrimental to our region? I personally don’t believe our region has suffered under the Conservatives.

When Mike Scott and Andy Burton were the MPs of their days, it seems only Terrace benefited from their tenure.

Meanwhile, Rupert was left to suffer.

[quote=“Gracies Mom”]

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Still on about the ferry terminal are we? Pissed cuz hes not anti-Canadian like you are, eh? Have you found even one politician from any party, federal or provincial that supported your position on that? Of course not, cuz you alone just can’t understand the basic concept.
You’re completely screwed guy. nobody[/quote]

supports you. You better just stay home on election day.

We get that you don’t like Harper, but lets put the cards on the table in the Northwest, forget about the rest of the country for the moment. Has this region suffered under the Conservatives ? Would it be any different with the other 2 parties? Are the promises made by all 3 parties realistic or just trying to bribe the voters? Are any of the promises beneficial or detrimental to our region? I personally don’t believe our region has suffered under the Conservatives.[/quote]

Take a drive to Prince George someday and simply note the number of sawmills that aren’t there anymore. Who signed a softwood agreement imposing a tariff on OUR lumber? Harper in his first week of taking an office. Yeah the guy touting “Free Trade”. Punished your riding.
Secondly, look at the number of pro-Enbridge signs. See any at all along the way? WHO is supporting the pipeline? The Conservatives!

Think we could use some infrastructure along that route? Doctors? Nurses? Hospitals? Services for seniors. mental health? Then the conservatives aren’t the ones to support?

Want your grandkids (or kids) to be criminals for smoking a joint?
Would you vote or swear in as a citizen topless? Then the niqab issue is just someone else’s view of modesty.
Think that they shouldn’t open your mail or tap your phone or plant ‘bugs’ in your house without a warrant, but snooping on your email and Facebook posts is okay?
Think we shouldn’t have let the Vietnamese in or the Hungarians because 'they might have been communists?
Think it’s okay for a corporate boardroom in Singapore or Zurich should make the rules for business, but you’re not allowed to democratically?
Think that the ground magically absorbs spilled oil, or gay people need to be cured on your nickel, that the Highways of Tears ‘was their own fault’, or that Climate Change is bullshit when you can see it in your own riding over the last 2 decades?
Buy into the BS that a riding needs to be punished for not electing a candidate from the ruling party instead of encouraged by positive policies to change?
Then they have LOTS of Conservative candidates to make you happy.

But the biggest bullshit is the 'economic argument. Has this riding got better or worse over the last ten years? No one can say it;s got better! You’re saying it hasn’t.
I’m saying WTF does that have to do with your MP, you think anyone sits in gov’t thinking of ways to screw over one particular riding? They make policy for the entire country, and if this area didn’t benefit other areas didn’t either. The policy’s no effing good.
And what’s the main reason its no good? Cuz commodities suck right now, and a certain PM and Premier have tossed all the eggs into that one basket. Worse, they’ve kissed away most secondary manufacturing and processing with their trade agreements as they did so.
You really, really don’t like Nathan Cullen? Then if you want to get out of the same damned loop the Tories and Liberals have stuck this country in for the last 50 years you can always vote Green. At least their policies aren’t just the same old shit in a recyclable brow bag.

Hey “herbie” have you been to Rupert lately. Our port is doing extremely well and its going to get better. 15 years ago my husband and others had to go to Vancouver to work. Now you have workers making well over $100k a year. We don’t just import, nor do we just export logs. We are getting lumber from PG, Vanderhoof, Houston and Terrace. There are new pellet plants being built. There is a facility planned at the Industrial Park near the airport in Terrace to stuff alfalfa from Saskatchewan into containers that are then shipped out of Rupert. The northwest benefits from the direct and indirect jobs from our port. All this being done without Nathan Cullen.

lets see container port money put in by Federal Liberal Government and Provincial Liberal Government, who takes credit hmmmmm lets see Nathan Cullen does, LNG proposals for our riding and the northwest who isn’t really for it because of GHG, hmmmmmm lets seee ms Rice and Nathan Cullen, so if these NDP’ers are against JOBS that will benefit not just his riding but the northwest why in hell would you vote for him?, i’m not saying vote liberal or conservative i’m telling NDPers that want jobs that are well paying then don’t vote for someone that is against all the projects proposed for this area, oh wait that is why Dix and company didn’t form government and that is why Mulcair and company are going to go back to 3rd party status

oh and Herbie hate to say this but an MP and MLA duties are to represent their ridings, the leader of the party is supposed to represent the country, and as for this anti canadian remark plz if the Alaska ferry steel was put to open bidding I would wager the steel would have come from China like most steel in this province not canadian steel as you would assume.

What it really comes down to is that a vote for Harper is a vote for Nickelback.

More seriously, Harper has a $127 billion deficit (at least Chretian and Martin, occasional jackasses though they were, managed surpluses cbc.ca/news/multimedia/canad … -1.3042571 ). And before you whine about the global recession of 2008, Harper had already turned it to a deficit before that hit. If you want to support the Conservative cause, I think the best thing to do is turf Harper so they can have someone who’s not bad at managing a country in charge.

Me, personally? I’m just pissed about C-51. I mean, this is a bill so bad that our own Christy Clark thinks it’s a bad idea. ( theglobeandmail.com/news/pol … e25410893/ ) Welp, that limits the options, doesn’t it?

This riding goes all the way to Fort St. James, and if you do go out and look you’ll see shuttered businesses, declining populations and little improvement. How do you expect to seriously grow to a port with a 2 lane highway and single track rail? Reduced bus service even! You’ll go through several towns that don’t even get highspeed Internet at home in this day and age.
They’re pouring cement for a co-gen plant here, but another mill closed… that’s where they get the waste from!
Where’s the promised federal money for the bug kill relief? They stopped handing it out years ago, it’s part of that phoney surplus!
Business decisions are made by business and it’s your democratic right to elect gov’ts that set the rules. So they don’t close a mill, sell off the wood rights and have 100 people unemployed and the mill owners multimillionaires for walking away. So they invest in safety and not blow up their workers. So they don’t take the money given back when they signed the Softwood agreement to close mills here, buy ones in the USA and ship raw logs to those mills.
Conservatives don’t interfere with business decisions - that’s their philosophy. If you want to have any say over how business works, you can’t support them. Cutting off your nose to spite your face as Gran used to say.
As for LNG just wait. The price of gas is going to turn around, that’s the factor not politicians.

My whole point being: they had 10 years, they didn’t do ‘good enough’ in my books, its time to throw them out. If the new guy doesn’t do good enough in the next round, throw them out. Like diapers
Its all you get to do.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]This riding goes all the way to Fort St. James, and if you do go out and look you’ll see shuttered businesses, declining populations and little improvement. How do you expect to seriously grow to a port with a 2 lane highway and single track rail? Reduced bus service even! You’ll go through several towns that don’t even get highspeed Internet at home in this day and age.
They’re pouring cement for a co-gen plant here, but another mill closed… that’s where they get the waste from!
Where’s the promised federal money for the bug kill relief? They stopped handing it out years ago, it’s part of that phoney surplus!
Business decisions are made by business and it’s your democratic right to elect gov’ts that set the rules. So they don’t close a mill, sell off the wood rights and have 100 people unemployed and the mill owners multimillionaires for walking away. So they invest in safety and not blow up their workers. So they don’t take the money given back when they signed the Softwood agreement to close mills here, buy ones in the USA and ship raw logs to those mills.
Conservatives don’t interfere with business decisions - that’s their philosophy. If you want to have any say over how business works, you can’t support them. Cutting off your nose to spite your face as Gran used to say.
As for LNG just wait. The price of gas is going to turn around, that’s the factor not politicians.[/quote]

I can tell you don’t follow the goings on here in Rupert when it comes to our Port. Fairview is an extremely busy container terminal with one of the best reputations in the world when it comes to productivity. Phase 2 is being constructed now and DP World I have heard is talking Phase 3. We don’t have the work force in Rupert to handle the future workload, and when the time comes for hiring they will have to look outside town. We don’t need LNG, but it would be good for our infrastructure with added taxes and benefits. Sure this riding is large, but my main concern is for the immediate surrounding areas, just like I’m sure you are for yours. I would like to see a representative in this region who will actually be a member of the next elected government and that won’t be Nathan Cullen and the NDP. Mulcair is sliding fast in Quebec, and he needs that province. Most of the other provinces are split or heavily leaning Liberal or Conservative.

of course business decides how to spend it’s money, but when a business, LNG, wants to move into a certain area then maybe that area’s MP, MLA, can be supportive of it instead of saying, calling it a Manufacturer is a subsidy, I think our MP needs to look up what subsidy means, and going to your point on the bailout of the auto sector, actually only 2 auto companies, the others didn’t need it, how did that work out? how many workers at gm have lost their jobs since the 5 years of no layoffs expired? a few thousand or so. ALL parties have a fetish for this dieing sector in Canada. As for Free trade agreements why do you think Mexico is getting those auto plants? because they have trade agreements with over 50 countries, no import duties for their products. Yes free trade agreements hurt certain industries but they also help other industries, is the trade off worth it, depends if you lose your job or get a job

No you stubborn bugger, Mexico is getting the auto jobs because they pay their workers SHIT and if you campaign for a union YOU’LL DISAPPEAR from the face of the Earth. And YOU are being asked to ‘compete’ with that. And in Thailand, they’ll friggin kill each other to make $8 a day building cars.
As for making a rule that LNG ‘is manufacturing’ that’s total newspeak bullshit made up to hand away more concessions and nothing but. Fortis doesn’t manufacture the gas that comes to my house, its not even like refining oil FFS.
If you’re the type of guy who’ll sell your car for far less than its worth because you’re desperate, shit yeah, even I’ll buy it off you. But the way you’re ranting and raving for even more concessions makes you look desperate. And you don’t let the buyer know you’re desperate unless you’re a fool. And as a whole, the province is not in a position of desperation at all, Go to Vancouver and try to buy a house you’ll see how desperate the majority of BCs people are to sell what’s theirs.

Herbie CBC did a story on Mexico and guess what they are getting even asian car manufacturers for export to Europe, why? because they have free trade deal with Europe while japan china ect. Don’t, and what concessions is LNG getting? an export tax that is too low? I defy you to show me another resource that has an export tax? don’t bother NONE, being called a manufacturer so they pay those taxes and have quicker write downs? oh boy that is so major NOT, the government will more then make it up with higher royalties coming in from pumping out the natural gas for export to asia.

oh and if you think lower wages helps to get industrial jobs like car manufacturing how do you explain that Germany one of the highest wages around has a strong manufacturing base? opps was that your head exploding.

Oh so DO tell us all about Mexico’s tax laws now.
Desperate, desperate… collect no export tax, collect no corporate tax, collect no municipal tax and hand out out some grants too. Grow rich taxing only the workers… uh huh.