Premier committed to seeing Prince Rupert port expand

Premier Christy Clark talked about resource development during her tour of the Northwest and said that developing the regional ports would be a part of that strategy.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 58768.html

[quote=“TheNorthernView”]Premier Christy Clark talked about resource development during her tour of the Northwest and said that developing the regional ports would be a part of that strategy.
“We can get out of the way of economic growth here and hopefully people will start extracting more resources and creating more wealth, but we have to be able to enable it getting to market, so if Rupert is a bottleneck, we have to clear that up.”
bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 58768.html[/quote]

Can someone help me out with this statement? I was under the impression that Rupert is being recognized around the world as an efficient port. Why is the premier of our province is referring to our port as a bottleneck? Am I missing some issues with how the port is handling the flow of cargo that comes through our port?

Looks like just a poor choice of words? I hope the point that she was making is that if the port here needs expansion because it’s busy then the government is going to make it happen. That’s a hell of a word to use though.

[quote=“Speakuppr”]
“We can get out of the way of economic growth here and hopefully people will start extracting more resources and creating more wealth, but we have to be able to enable it getting to market, so if Rupert is a bottleneck, we have to clear that up.”

Can someone help me out with this statement? I was under the impression that Rupert is being recognized around the world as an efficient port. Why is the premier of our province is referring to our port as a bottleneck? Am I missing some issues with how the port is handling the flow of cargo that comes through our port?[/quote]

Also a bit odd that she talks about this as being a “regional port”. I thought the focus is international, both overseas and through rail ties to the eastern US etc. Is Port of Vancouver a “regional port”, and if not what makes one “regional” and the other something else?

I think that she is just confused and out of touch, just like she evidently thinks that all raw log exports originate from private land, which the government cannot do anything about, when in fact most log exports through here originate from provincial forest licences (not that there’s anything wrong with that), which the government does have control over.

You’d think that she would be given better briefing notes. I wonder what whatshisname, the leader of the NDP, has to say about these things?

[quote=“BTravenn”]

[quote=“Speakuppr”]

Can someone help me out with this statement? I was under the impression that Rupert is being recognized around the world as an efficient port. Why is the premier of our province is referring to our port as a bottleneck? Am I missing some issues with how the port is handling the flow of cargo that comes through our port?[/quote]

Also a bit odd that she talks about this as being a “regional port”. I thought the focus is international, both overseas and through rail ties to the eastern US etc. Is Port of Vancouver a “regional port”, and if not what makes one “regional” and the other something else?

I think that she is just confused and out of touch, just like she evidently thinks that all raw log exports originate from private land, which the government cannot do anything about, when in fact most log exports through here originate from provincial forest licences (not that there’s anything wrong with that), which the government does have control over.

You’d think that she would be given better briefing notes. I wonder what whatshisname, the leader of the NDP, has to say about these things?[/quote]

Good points BT… Calling this facility a “Regional” Port is counter productive to all of the work the Port has done to promote Prince Rupert as a “World Class” facility and as I have to agree that she and her advisors are very much out of touch with the North and Rural BC. It’s scarey to think that someone that has spent as much time in government and around the cabinet table has such a limited grasp of one of BC’s primary industries… Whether Dix has any better grasp remains to be seen.