Power failure

What ya need is a HUGE 2kva UPS : O )

We have a UPS, unfortunately, it doesn’t cover the network connections and the PLnet routers outside of the building. So the server is probably up, but not connected.

oh didn’t know that the routers were out side of the rack / building.

Heh, when the power is out in that whole part of town, you can keep your server up, but can’t get it to connect to other people.

wouldn’t it be best to have all the router’s and server’s on UPs’s. ?

I don’t think you get it – I don’t control all the routers on the internet, so not much I can do about it if one of them is down. Yes, our stuff is still up, but the stuff that it connects to isn’t up.

I see…

The god damn power outage caused a drive failure in my server :frowning: figures uptime of 190 days then bam when i head outta town it dies.

Should have had a UPS’’

gee ya think? maybe if i didnt have better things to spend my money on like education, rent and food I would have.

So I came back and found out that when the power came back, my servers didn’t. The big rackmount UPS cooked itself, and a friend took it out. Said the batteries were swollen and misshapen and hot.
New ones come tomorrow…

Your’ ups back back up and running ?

It’s nutz… we’ve had so many blown HDDs, motherboards and fried hubs come in since the power outage that our UPS is sitting on the floor ready to mount. It’s so heavy it takes 2 to rack mount it.
Every time there’s a blackout we get 6 - 12 killed comps within 3 days, and hear of lots of fried TVs and microwave ovens. Hydro never pays for them.
I never heard of this probelm in the city, but here people (like me) even have surge bars for our coffee pots!

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]It’s nutz… we’ve had so many blown HDDs, motherboards and fried hubs come in since the power outage that our UPS is sitting on the floor ready to mount. It’s so heavy it takes 2 to rack mount it.
Every time there’s a blackout we get 6 - 12 killed comps within 3 days, and hear of lots of fried TVs and microwave ovens. Hydro never pays for them.
I never heard of this probelm in the city, but here people (like me) even have surge bars for our coffee pots![/quote]

How come there are enough power outages there to make you need a surge bar for your coffee pot? Are they working on things or does Hydro just suck?

Hydro just spent $2 million on an ‘upgrade’ and we have weird things going on more often. All the UPS beep for a few seconds several times a day at least once a week.
Today I came home and my DLink wireless just stopped transmitting. This is the 2nd one in a month, the other isn’t back from being RMA’d yet!
What a load of BS…

-coffee pots electricals would just blow out every couple months. I lived in town once before and used 4 in 9 months. Then when I moved to Sowchea Bay where the power was worse I put a surge on it and used 3 coffee makers over 12 years.
I’ve been back in town 3 years and I’m on my 4th pot. Even with surge bars, the town water has so much mineral content they plug in 3 months. Even CLR only gives you an extra month or so of life…

So, it like, totally sucks there hey?

only if your talking about the hydro, the town water or the complete lack of single women over 35 :laughing: