Port Edwards cat problem just got bigger

Fresh cougar tracks found in Port Edward following a deer. I am guessing that this is why all the stray cats are going missing.

'wish it would visit my neighborhood.

I’d so love to photograph a cougar. Wish there were a few hunters and dogs that could track it up a tree for me.

Leave your cat or dog outside in the backyard for a couple of days, maybe the cougar will find you!

lol where’s the like button.

that is I think not a cougar print you can tell by the fact the two forward claws can be seen, and the rear pad is shaped more like that of a canine.
here is a comparison to a cougar and wolf print
the prints in that photo that was taken in port ed, are very small for a adult cougar…

Cougar, perhaps, but most likely a wolf?

Either species will choose cats as a target for food. Also small dogs, rodents, whatever can be easy prey.

If anyone does get photo proof of the ‘cougar’ that would be wonderful, and rare.

Keep an eye on your pets though, keep them from being bait.

ya by the size i would say coyote… would be nice to see a photo of a big cat …

grey hair and photo guy, careful what you wish for, you don’t really want to see a mountain lion ‘up close and personal’ once you see how big they are, how fast they can move and the damage they do to prey, which is what you, your children and your pets are to them.
And Astro is right that is not a cougar print, deinitely canine, most likely wolf, as we do not have coyotes here on the coast yet. However there have been several recent cougar sightings in and around Port Ed, and Rupert is a mere short stroll away.

[quote=“chaos”]

grey hair and photo guy, careful what you wish for, you don’t really want to see a mountain lion ‘up close and personal’ once you see how big they are, how fast they can move and the damage they do to prey, which is what you, your children and your pets are to them.
And Astro is right that is not a cougar print, deinitely canine, most likely wolf, as we do not have coyotes here on the coast yet. However there have been several recent cougar sightings in and around Port Ed, and Rupert is a mere short stroll away.[/quote]

UMM yes there are coyotes, one of our local posters on HTMF has some great photos of Coyotes she has taken near the float planes. And then talk to the wildlife shelter about the coyotes and the den site close to town…

kaienislandwolves.com/?p=64
and this was in 2007…

'guess I should have put some context to that post. What I meant to say " 'wish I didn’t have such a cat problem in my neighborhood, maybe the cougar, or whatever it is, could come to my neighborhood and eat the cats, but not my children."

Sorry 'bout that.

[quote=“Astro”]

And Astro is right that is not a cougar print, deinitely canine, most likely wolf, as we do not have coyotes here on the coast yet. However there have been several recent cougar sightings in and around Port Ed, and Rupert is a mere short stroll away.
UMM yes there are coyotes, one of our local posters on HTMF has some great photos of Coyotes she has taken near the float planes. And then talk to the wildlife shelter about the coyotes and the den site close to town…

kaienislandwolves.com/?p=64
and this was in 2007…[/quote]

Hah, that’s my photo! I forgot I took that. :stuck_out_tongue:
It was cool to see that little guy up close. He was kind of skittish and after a few minutes of sniffing us from about a five foot distance while we were in our car, he took off.

So yes, Being the person who has seen the coyote, up close and personal, They definitely are here. :smiley:

Astro you are absolutely right, and I stand corrected, we do have coyotes, learn something every day, I guess there’s hope yet eh…
I was very certain of this, but just because I haven’t seen one doesn’t mean they aren’t here, I have lived here my entire life and have never knowingly seen one. Great photo Bubba.

Confirmed this with some other local experts, frequent sightings around the golf course area, ( but then I don’t golf ) apparently many people see them and think they are either domestic dogs or wolves, maybe I am one of these people? I have lived here my entire life and am a very active in the outdoors.
Cougars are by far a worse predator though, especially being sighted as frequently as they have been just recently.
Grey hair, I too had problems a few years ago with feral cats in the neighbourhood and tried to get some help of the city, spca, and others and was told at that time there was more than three thousand feral cats in this town, sounds CRAZY, but there was more than two dozen in the basement of the vacant house beside my parents, So it’s no surprise there are more and new predators being attracted.

So being the dummy I am I’m going to go looking for a cougar. I don’t have a gun. Would bear spray work on a cougar?

Sure, as a condiment, for you.
but seriously if you are actually looking for one, chances are you’ll never see it. They are still so few and far between around here and extremely elusive, it would be like walking around trying to get struck by lightening, or trying to win the lottery.
Any sightings are by pure chance. You could always try using bait for your photo op, in a secluded and open area, and a lifetime supply of patience.
Round up a bunch of those feral cats from around grey hair’s house, and put them in a big cage out in the middle of the golf course, then set up a blind nearby with your tele-photo lens. Oh yeah, and bring your bear spary, just in case.