Port Authority Unveils Visions for Cow Bay Development

[quote=“bthedog”]^ Well considering the majority of ANYTHING positive for Prince Rupert stems from PRPA (Ridley Expansion, Container Terminal Expansion, Pinnacle Pellet Terminal, huge donation to Shames Mtn, courting big business (Canpotex, LNG Terminal ect), Cow Bay Development), I would say we should be singing the PRPA’s praises.

Right now pretty much ALL of the eggs keeping this city alive are IN the PRPA’s basket.[/quote]

Prince Rupert put all their eggs in one basket before (the mill) and look how that worked for us.

This new Cow Bay Development looks great in theory, but where are they going to find all these forward thinking entrepreneurs to fill up all the shops !!! Half the storefronts in town seem empty, the mall isn’t exactly full nor is the existing atlin terminal. It is not easy in an economically depressed, isolated town with a dwindling population to start and maintain a business where most people are savvy online shoppers. Is this development just being used as another tourism draw with no real benefit to the locals? or just a way to deflect the hype surrounding the proposed pellet terminal.

Is this another White Elephant the port wants to build? It seems like they wanted to build a big shiny facade on the waterfront, just to cover the woefully neglected appearance of the rest of the city.

And besides, I like Cow Bay the way it is today. Any more significant alterations will further diminish it’s historic value.

[quote=“PLA”]Is this another White Elephant the port wants to build? It seems like they wanted to build a big shiny facade on the waterfront, just to cover the woefully neglected appearance of the rest of the city.

And besides, I like Cow Bay the way it is today. Any more significant alterations will further diminish it’s historic value.[/quote]

Ditto I still say who would rent the space? We have more than enough empty space d.t…

Maybe we need to start tearing down 3rd ave and move it to Cow Bay? Honestly like cow bay as it… and cruise ships are more or less finished…

[quote=“heartsick”]

[quote=“Crazy Train”]As someone who has lived here since the 60’s and spent over 30 years as a league bowler, trust me when I tell you that there was a drop in interest in bowling. There used to be 32 teams each night (7 and 9 o. Clock times on 16 lanes) and when it closed you’d be lucky to have eight teams a night. A smaller bowling alley is what is needed because it was not cost effective to maintain the current one. It wasn’t well insulated.

You want something different? Look no further than what the port authority is trying to do.[/quote]

i have to ask, “Are you a port authority employee?” I ask only because you have such trust that they will do right by Prince Rupert. I happen to agree with a number of others in this thread and feel that the Port Authority isn’t really looking out for the interests of the people in Prince Rupert, but the $$ they can generate for themselves. They’re basically closing down the west side of Prince Rupert while justifying it by proposing this plan for Cow Bay. Sure looks good on paper, but when might this project come to fruition?[/quote]

Unbelievable!!

No, I am not an employee of the Port Authority. I am a long-time resident who has witnessed a once thriving community come close to bankruptcy and become dilapidated after the main industries feeding this town, forestry and fishing, more or less collapsed. There was even a time in recent years where the grain elevator was in dire straits. Here we are now, on the cusp of a new beginning, and all that I hear about new development initiatives is negativity. Whether its Enbridge, train whistles, pellet plants, raw log exports or retail development, it’s all been bitching. Im not necessarily in favour of all proposed projects but can we not become excited about something? In two recent threads we discussed lay-offs within the Civic Center and some argued that we can’t afford our fire department. Yet, when developers give us a proposal to consider we whine and bitch about it.

The Port Authority is not our adversary, they are our best friend right now. They are also the first to know about development and what may be in the horizon. They are merely showing us a long-term plan on what they would like to do with Cow Bay and it excites me. It’s better news than we’ve received from Watson Island or the fisheries in years. What does it tell you when those who have the most insight into industrial development are planning this development in Cow Bay? Read between the lines. They’re not going to build these things to stay empty.

[quote=“PLA”]Is this another White Elephant the port wants to build? It seems like they wanted to build a big shiny facade on the waterfront, just to cover the woefully neglected appearance of the rest of the city.

And besides, I like Cow Bay the way it is today. Any more significant alterations will further diminish it’s historic value.[/quote]

I agree with you there! "if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it " And, I don’t believe we’re bitching and whining, we’re just realists. We are not a bunch of simple minded individuals who can be placated with the prospect of a shiny new toy in the probably distant future. Where are all these investors coming from to fill these proposed retail spaces in Cow Bay? We lost another store in the Mall as Salty Crab is packing up and moving on. Are there going to be more of the same, hoodie shops catering to tweens or the beautiful but somewhat expensive tourist trap stores? Cow Bay is an awesome little area but it has so many of these little boutique stores already. We need investors willing to give us something different so we aren’t flying down to the Lower Mainland or driving up to Terrace for our monthly fix. I don’t have any answers but I think most of us on this site have more imagination than the "big wigs’ at the Port seem to have!

[quote=“codybear933”]

I agree with you there! "if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it " And, I don’t believe we’re bitching and whining, we’re just realists. We are not a bunch of simple minded individuals who can be placated with the prospect of a shiny new toy in the probably distant future. Where are all these investors coming from to fill these proposed retail spaces in Cow Bay? We lost another store in the Mall as Salty Crab is packing up and moving on. Are there going to be more of the same, hoodie shops catering to tweens or the beautiful but somewhat expensive tourist trap stores? Cow Bay is an awesome little area but it has so many of these little boutique stores already. We need investors willing to give us something different so we aren’t flying down to the Lower Mainland or driving up to Terrace for our monthly fix. I don’t have any answers but I think most of us on this site have more imagination than the "big wigs’ at the Port seem to have![/quote]

Imagination? Have you looked at the Port 2020 plan? It talks about potash, LNG and sulphur. Look at what they have presented to the public before you pass judgement. You want investors willing to give something different? How do you know that this won’t be different? You dont have any answers yet you can identify problems like diminishing historic values of Cow Bay? Give your head a shake. Tell me something historic in their plan that will be altered? Tell me how you’re better qualified to decide the future of Cow Bay than these “big wigs”. Please enlighten me.

Yawn…

See Pyongyang, North Korea.

Adding bling to Cow Bay makes the area look ridiculous and artificial, and spending money on a facade doesn’t instantly make Rupert as a whole look good.

[quote=“PLA”]

Yawn…

See Pyongyang, North Korea.

Adding bling to Cow Bay makes the area look ridiculous and artificial, and spending money on a facade doesn’t instantly make Rupert as a whole look good.[/quote]

Yawn yourself.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

i have to ask, “Are you a port authority employee?” I ask only because you have such trust that they will do right by Prince Rupert. I happen to agree with a number of others in this thread and feel that the Port Authority isn’t really looking out for the interests of the people in Prince Rupert, but the $$ they can generate for themselves. They’re basically closing down the west side of Prince Rupert while justifying it by proposing this plan for Cow Bay. Sure looks good on paper, but when might this project come to fruition?

Unbelievable!!

No, I am not an employee of the Port Authority. I am a long-time resident who has witnessed a once thriving community come close to bankruptcy and become dilapidated after the main industries feeding this town, forestry and fishing, more or less collapsed. There was even a time in recent years where the grain elevator was in dire straits. Here we are now, on the cusp of a new beginning, and all that I hear about new development initiatives is negativity. Whether its Enbridge, train whistles, pellet plants, raw log exports or retail development, it’s all been bitching. Im not necessarily in favour of all proposed projects but can we not become excited about something? In two recent threads we discussed lay-offs within the Civic Center and some argued that we can’t afford our fire department. Yet, when developers give us a proposal to consider we whine and bitch about it.

The Port Authority is not our adversary, they are our best friend right now. They are also the first to know about development and what may be in the horizon. They are merely showing us a long-term plan on what they would like to do with Cow Bay and it excites me. It’s better news than we’ve received from Watson Island or the fisheries in years. What does it tell you when those who have the most insight into industrial development are planning this development in Cow Bay? Read between the lines. They’re not going to build these things to stay empty.[/quote]

Relax Crazy Train!!!

I’m a long time resident as well and have seen how allowing one entity dictate what happens can do. Many years ago the pulp mill was the one industry that Prince Rupert counted on and when it shut down so did the city as you well know. We are starting to grow again but need to be wise with how we proceed. We can’t accept a business proposal out of desparation and to the detriment of the City. We need to do our due diligence and ensure that it will be benificial to the majority. The port authority is an entity somewhat like the mill in that we have become dependant on it to save our town. The port should share the information in regard to upcoming industrial development with the city so that our city councillors and the people would be better prepared to create more that just industrial areas within the city. We are more that jusn industry!! The port authorities vision for Cow Bay is pretty but really does take away from the downtown core. we should be building that up again which then would benefit all, tourists and locals alike.

You are right on the money!
We should be embracing and supporting these positive changes. Good things will come of it, of that I’m sure.

Right on the money!! We need to stop dwelling & embrace change and the potential to move ahead and perhaps grow a very lucrative tourism industry.

[quote=“bthedog”]^ Well considering the majority of ANYTHING positive for Prince Rupert stems from PRPA (Ridley Expansion, Container Terminal Expansion, Pinnacle Pellet Terminal, huge donation to Shames Mtn, courting big business (Canpotex, LNG Terminal ect), Cow Bay Development), I would say we should be singing the PRPA’s praises.

Right now pretty much ALL of the eggs keeping this city alive are IN the PRPA’s basket.[/quote]

Yup! The PRPA deserves credit for what they are trying to create.

[quote=“jamesbrown”]

Ditto I still say who would rent the space? We have more than enough empty space d.t…

Maybe we need to start tearing down 3rd ave and move it to Cow Bay? Honestly like cow bay as it… and cruise ships are more or less finished…[/quote]

People will flock to the water front and Cow Bay before going downtown, especially on a sunny day. It will work. Maybe turn 3rd Ave into a park? Being cheeky but when the sun shines or even when it doesn’t, there is always someone on the waterfront and in Cow Bay.