Port Authority Unveils Visions for Cow Bay Development

The Prince Rupert Port Authority unveiled visions yesterday at the Crest for a look into what Cow Bay could quite possibly look like in the next 10-15 years. To do so, they hired some of the top architects in Canada who have all won the Governor General’s Award. Take a look at it, it’s starting to look like Vancouver’s “Granville Street” except closer to the ocean! thenorthernview.com/news/151644035.html

That’s pretty awesome. You would what would be awesome and harbour themed? A massive wooden pier with businesses and stands etc. like in Seattle. When I was in Seattle I loved that pier

It really does look epic, but can’t help wonder where the money would come from?

New shops to be built on the parking lot? Where oh where, pray tell, are people going to park? Parking is already at a premium in Cow Bay.

This is awesome!! Rupert needs this, anyone know how likely this is to happen?

I think we should just close all of 3rd avenue. I counted at least 15 empty building pretty sad.

think a lot of that has to do with many people here don’t keep their money in town and business are strapped and can’t survive. I’d be shocked if many or any business in town are doing great.

I love Cowbay! I used to live in the area when I was a kid.
I don’t know what the blueprints look like that the Port Authority drew up for Cow Bay. I think Cowbay looks pretty good as iis present state. I’mm wondering if it Is going to end up along the lines of a ‘tourist trap’ area, in trying to contain cruise ship passangers to one in luring themm into spending their tourist dollars.
I used to think that in the 80s that the downtown area, there was no where to shop. Wow, look at it now!!! There are businesses hanging on for dear life. I suppose there are those that are doing well. I amm ammazed to see that people try to open new businesses in PR these days.
I would hope that the heart of downtown PR, doesn’t get lost in the shuffle of Cow Bay Development. Cities lose out when their downtown core is abandoned or neglected. You can already see the sad shape of stores that are vacant that once bustled with life.
Actually I amm astonished & heartened when I see new people comming to town to open legitimate businesses. Mmmy understanding in the past, is that you have to jump a lot of hoops & cut thru red tape b.s. to get some businesses started in PR.
Please remmember & visit your local mmerchants in the heart of downtown PR!!!
isabelydancer00

wow this should of been done by the port 7 yrs ago when they had a cruise ship industry…its gone and i believe unlikely to return.

who or what would occupy facilities like this?

its as likely as a bridge across the harbour…

[quote=“mcsash”]wow this should of been done by the port 7 yrs ago when they had a cruise ship industry…its gone and i believe unlikely to return.

who or what would occupy facilities like this?

its as likely as a bridge across the harbour…[/quote]

Someone finally read my mind… Why on earth do we need these facilities? I remember the “Up Lands Development” back when the ships were about to start coming and it never amounted to much… This is a huge waste of money all over again… Cruise Ships have been tried again and again and they just don’t work here. Cowbay is fine as is, it is now sustainable a huge development like this one is not … There are a vast number of empty store fronts down town and likely more to come, who indeed would occupy more retail space development in Rupert, what a joke!

Was I the only person who heard an unfortunate remark on the radio given by a Port spokesperson that Prince Rupert needs to attract “good people”? This was given as a rational for the new Cow Bay - Atlin plan. What does “good people” mean?

LOL@ attracting good people… guess he will continue to be stuck with the rest of us… That project is a red herring and I don’t care if it’s from one of the many non good people… :smile:

I’m surprised at the negativity around this project. Rupert needs investment and job creation and now is not the time to be doubting the business ideas behind this. We have a fairly new cruise ship terminal and reports from visitors have suggested that we need to make some changes to improve their experience. What should we do with this information? Ignore it? A significant investment has been made already and I believe that the prudent thing to do is to continue development of the area.

There is also a local market that will support this investment as well. Kitimat is booming and there was an announcement this week that Shell is planning to build an LNG plant that will create 5000+ construction jobs and will be the largest project ever in BC with a price tag of $12 billion. Cow Bay already attracts many people from Terrace and Kitimat and with the development happening up there we are bound to see more. Many Rupertites already head up to Terrace just to get away and will spend lots at WalMart and Canadian Tire. This development at Cow Bay will increase the draw to our community and may even help downtown retail as well.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]I’m surprised at the negativity around this project. Rupert needs investment and job creation and now is not the time to be doubting the business ideas behind this. We have a fairly new cruise ship terminal and reports from visitors have suggested that we need to make some changes to improve their experience. What should we do with this information? Ignore it? A significant investment has been made already and I believe that the prudent thing to do is to continue development of the area.

There is also a local market that will support this investment as well. Kitimat is booming and there was an announcement this week that Shell is planning to build an LNG plant that will create 5000+ construction jobs and will be the largest project ever in BC with a price tag of $12 billion. Cow Bay already attracts many people from Terrace and Kitimat and with the development happening up there we are bound to see more. Many Rupertites already head up to Terrace just to get away and will spend lots at WalMart and Canadian Tire. This development at Cow Bay will increase the draw to our community and may even help downtown retail as well.[/quote]

Spoken like a true believer.

Often selling your soul and your future for gold just doesn’t pan out — especially for the rest of us.

[quote=“Soggy”]

Often selling your soul and your future for gold just doesn’t pan out — especially for the rest of us.[/quote]

Spoken like a true cynic.

No one is selling their soul. It’s just development and trying to capitalize on a unique opportunity that we have. Be patient and have some faith in those that get paid to make these decisions. It all about the betterment of our community and also know that this type of investment will not happen without expectations of profit and growth. It’s a good opportunity for our community to grow. I dont know about you but I’m tired of the doom and gloom that surrounded the community with the closure of the pulp mill, saw mill and slowing of the fishing industry. We have to re-invent ourselves and this project is a step in the right direction.

Great to see Sketchup being used, its a great program.
My 2 cents from the cheap seats:
-People don’t like walking in the rain.
-people prefer parking close to where they spend the money.
-I don’t see anything on the other side of the bridge.
-Where is a marina that can cater to visiting pleasure craft (ie: people with money & time)?
-It’s great that they plan, and development in every sector is a good thing.
-3rd Ave. is not the port’s problem; personally I liked it more when the light was gone. I think one way traffic and diagonal parking would be good too.
-The only thing that will put stores anywhere in this town is a population with disposable income- and that takes all kinds of investment dollars, so quit saying no.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

[quote=“Soggy”]

Often selling your soul and your future for gold just doesn’t pan out — especially for the rest of us.[/quote]

No one is selling their soul. It’s just development and trying to capitalize on a unique opportunity that we have. Be patient and have some faith in those that get paid to make these decisions. It all about the betterment of our community and also know that this type of investment will not happen without expectations of profit and growth. It’s a good opportunity for our community to grow. I dont know about you but I’m tired of the doom and gloom that surrounded the community with the closure of the pulp mill, saw mill and slowing of the fishing industry. We have to re-invent ourselves and this project is a step in the right direction.[/quote]

Reinvent sure: but $10. McD’s jobs that retail creates is not worth the trouble… The port was suppose to save us… :smile:

[quote=“jamesbrown”]

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

No one is selling their soul. It’s just development and trying to capitalize on a unique opportunity that we have. Be patient and have some faith in those that get paid to make these decisions. It all about the betterment of our community and also know that this type of investment will not happen without expectations of profit and growth. It’s a good opportunity for our community to grow. I dont know about you but I’m tired of the doom and gloom that surrounded the community with the closure of the pulp mill, saw mill and slowing of the fishing industry. We have to re-invent ourselves and this project is a step in the right direction.

Reinvent sure: but $10. McD’s jobs that retail creates is not worth the trouble… The port was suppose to save us… :smile:[/quote]

Industrial jobs that pay good wages result in increased retail opportunities and jobs. Business owners will prosper and there will be options for people to work at someplace other that McD’s or Walmart. We can sit by and wait for nothing but industry or we can develop all available markets including retail while catering to tourists and har some of those high wage earners spend money at home.

So do we all sit back and watch the Port Authority, continue to make all these calls or predictions while they continue to block off the areas where people were able to walk freely. In the meantime what projects are coming from our city council , what building are going to be painted this year ? Yeah it is nice to see individuals who are lucky to be on the right board and making big buck but it certainly has not contributed to the community. I still have fears regarding the social problems which are still not being addressed.

Personally I think many people have the wrong idea about this. From what I’ve heard, this will be completely funded by Port Authority, and its a great step in the right direction, if we’re going to start repairing Rupert, why not start with the front lines? I think the tourism industry is not out of Prince Rupert. I was a tourist ambassador the day the cruise ship was here, and I received NOTHING but great comments about the locals and how we made it a great experience for them! Many also said that out of all the places they stopped, Rupert had been their favourite experience so far.