Port and First Nations to build cultural pavilion

In a joint statement issued by Port of Prince Rupert CEO, Don Krusel, and the elected Chiefs of Lax Kw’alaams and Metlakatla communities, Gary Reece and Harold Leighton, all three agree, “A cultural pavilion in Prince Rupert could provide a dynamic and unique visitor experience that builds on the 10,000-year plus legacy of Tsimshian First Nations and could provide a portal to the rich and diverse cultural tourism opportunities Prince Rupert has to offer for visitors.”

opinion250.com/blog/view/193 … =143&st=10

Discuss

Nice to see a good news story and one that shows real leadership. I wish the port and bands great success with this and will look forward to seeing what these groups can achieve working together.

Hopefully the omission of any Prince Rupert involvment in this important and worthwhile initiative was an oversight in the press release or transciption of the story. If anyone knows more why Prince Rupert or it’s econmic or tourism assets are not reported to be part of this initiative, it woud be of interest.

Good point. Has appropriate consultation with other community members/partners taken place?

From my understanding, the communities, LaxKwalaams and Metlakatla, are currenty being consulted with. This project, is not past the concept stage, once the appropriate stage is reached in the internal discussion, past the concept of a “Cultural Centre” than other parties will be invited to get involved.

Ditto.

Communication with any possible related group, at the earliest stage of development, is a wise move.
It seems that this very issue, in recent history, was the source of some criticism for a few groups in the north.

Aw geez…“once the appropriate stage is reached in the internal discussion…” what does that mean? A joint announcement has already been made to build this pavilion and it’s STILL not the time to consult?
Show some respect.

[quote=“PinchLoaf”]

Aw geez…“once the appropriate stage is reached in the internal discussion…” what does that mean? A joint announcement has already been made to build this pavilion and it’s STILL not the time to consult?
Show some respect.[/quote]

Why don’t you show some respect, learn how to read and comprehend, and then make informed comments?

A public meeting is being held to get input from Prince Rupert residents and businesses on which will be taken into account for the project’s feasibility study.

Date: Tuesday 22 February 2011
Venue: The Islander Hall
150/6th Avenue West (opp. Library)
TIME: 1.00pm

We’ll be updating our story with more information on what this project is expected to be in a little bit, be sure to check back soon.
bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 94789.html

This sounds like a great project!!!

whoops

[quote=“TheNewsman”]

A public meeting is being held to get input from Prince Rupert residents and businesses on which will be taken into account for the project’s feasibility study.

Date: Tuesday 22 February 2011
Venue: The Islander Hall
150/6th Avenue West (opp. Library)
TIME: 1.00pm

We’ll be updating our story with more information on what this project is expected to be in a little bit, be sure to check back soon.
bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 94789.html[/quote]

Now that’s more like it. Thanks.

I think that this is a good idea! In the other threads the bitching and whining about the tourists on the cruise ships coming in and not spending money with nothing to do! This hopefully will bring them back…I am a glass half full kindA girl! Not sure if the comment was made on this thread or another about joining up the local musuem; but there is not enough space in that! there are so many artifacts and can be returned to the Tsimshians and can be showcased at this pavillon! I for one am glad to see that this is finally come about.

Yes this is a great idea and should be supported. A couple of thoughts;

Perhaps they could actually have a convenient place near the dock for tourists to get their passports stamped with a souvenier stamp of Prince Rupert. Perhaps the city, port and First Nations involved could come up with a stamp design that celebrates all of the cultures that make up our region. As for convenience, speaking with more than a few tourists, it was one of Prince Rupert’s best kept secrets that the only place they could get their passport stamped was at the Museum of Northern BC. By the time many returned to the ship… it was too late for them to get their passports stamped and they left dissapointed.

For public input on this… 1:00 in the afternoon is maybe better than no public input but for those of us that work during the day… kind of leaves us without a voice. So my recommendation would be if public consultation is part of the process… try to schedule a number of times when the majority of citizenery can attend. I’m truly sorry that I wasn’t able to be at the meeting. Judging from the article in the Northern News it appears that this group is on on the right track… the empty lot beside the terminal would be awesome for the passengers.

Judging from the lack of mention of the City or Prince Rupert or it’s agencies in the organizing committee, it appears that people concerned with economic development in the tourist sector have decided that the City is neither going to lead or follow so it is best that they stay out of the way… Kudos to the leaders from the Port Authority,Lax Kw’alaams and Metlakatla for working on this.

[quote=“Northern News”]While there isn’t much known about the project yet, the partners are looking at a possible location on the waterfront directly beside Northland Cruise Terminal.
And while White outlined keys to a successful cultural pavilion, which include truthful exhibits, varied content and the inclusion of weavers, carvers and dance groups, he said not all cultural pavilions find success and pointed to the Lillooett pavilion and the Haida Heritage Centre – both of which have won awards for their programs and projects, but both of which are struggling to maintain their level of service in light of lower than expected numbers.

“I’m not saying don’t go down this road, I am sending a warning that they can be tough to sustain financially,” he said. “You need to be clear about the concept and purpose, which is what we are doing now…And you need to understand the balance between culture and commerce.”

Although the pavilion may not be ready until 2013 at least, the organizing committee, including representatives from Lax Kw’alaams , Metlakatla and the Prince Rupert Port Authority, are also planning some events that could help leave cruise passengers with a more positive impression of Prince Rupert in 2011. [/quote]

My thoughts on the Information session, that is exactly what it was, an information session on the concept of a Cultural “pavillion” or “centre” or something similar.
Their message was clear, they are in a concept design and feasability phase of this project. Public consultation is a priority, and will be through out the process if it goes forward, the agencies and organization that were mentioned in the previous post are not on the organizing committee, because they are not partners. That is not to say they will not be invited to participate, contribute and add to the discussion, once it gets to that point.
Overall, everyone was supportive, and voiced much of the same concerns voiced here.