Please Mum back in Rupert

I was at the mall today and noticed that a Please Mum is opening in the old Carlton Cards spot. Pretty exciting to see something new opening! Unfortunately, my children are now too big for Please Mum apparel!

Oh, I forgot to mention that they are looking for sales associates if any body out there is looking for a job.

Did a store by that name just shutdown within the last couple of years ?

When I first moved to Rupert about 3.5 years ago, somebody told me that the Adlan Kids location (which most recently occupied by Belak Bambinoos) had once been a Please Mum. Can anybody confirm this?

Yes, Please Mum was previously in the spot where Adlan and Belak were as well.

Please Mum is slated to open next Friday, Nov 19, as long as they can hire enough staff.

To apply, send your resume to claudec@pleasemum.com or you can drop it off at the Rupert Square admin office.

I am glad we have a new business coming in but honestly it’s as excting as watching paint dry…
I continue to do almost all my shopping out of town… We have Overwaitea/ Safeway/Shoppers/ Home Hardware, outside of that there is not much, Zellers is a mess the mall is getting worse every year… As much as I stay positive about my community otherwise, the shopping here is for the birds…

This town cannot support a store like that. If it could, the old one wouldn’t have closed.

That sort of store caters to the mid to high end clientele, people with excess cash to spend beyond the bare necessities. I have seen so many local stores open and then close within a year or two. All of them have made the same mistake, selling a specialized or higher end product, out of touch with the economic reality in this town.

Those of us who can afford frivolous luxuries can also afford a plane ticket to Vancouver to go shopping.

I think this store will work again, I know one of the biggest complaints I have heard from people around town here is that there is NO WHERE to buy baby-toddler sized clothing (outside of the very limited selection at Zellers or Fields) so this were certainly address that issue.

Also, perhaps the reason why Adlan Kids sold back the franchise is to avoid paying the often high priced royalties/franchise fees and decided to sell back the franchise and go it alone with out the backing of a franchise brand name.

The Adlan location had no choice in the matter. They were one of the last to be bought back. Please Mum should do pretty well here. Where else can you buy much for kids clothing? They have a great quality and great sales! I still shop online through Please Mum in Vancouver because I have never bought I stronger pair of jeans for my children for 20.00

[quote=“gum”]This town cannot support a store like that. If it could, the old one wouldn’t have closed.

That sort of store caters to the mid to high end clientele, people with excess cash to spend beyond the bare necessities. I have seen so many local stores open and then close within a year or two. All of them have made the same mistake, selling a specialized or higher end product, out of touch with the economic reality in this town.

Those of us who can afford frivolous luxuries can also afford a plane ticket to Vancouver to go shopping.[/quote]

I think that Please Mum clothing is actually pretty reasonably priced – comparable to Zellers prices, in fact.

It might just be a rumor, but I heard that this isn’t a permanent store. It’s just being set up from Dec to Feb.

[quote=“gum”]This town cannot support a store like that. If it could, the old one wouldn’t have closed.

Those of us who can afford frivolous luxuries can also afford a plane ticket to Vancouver to go shopping.[/quote]

The old one didn’t close due to financial reasons, it was the owners decision to change job careers. As for “mid to high end clientele” you obviously haven’t been in a Please Mum store in the last several years. Their prices are equivalent, if not lower, than places like Zellers and Walmart! Just take a look at the prices online! Please Mum will do VERY well in Prince Rupert and keep some shoppers here in town as well as bring other people here to shop. I knew many people who traveled from other communities to shop at our old Please Mum store.

Please mum has good value for the clothes they sell . hopefully the new owners will be more successful than the last

If the mall gave them a good deal on rent then their prices should be a little lower than when they were on third ave. The mall has been pushing hard, beginning reno’s and soliciting national business to “get 'em in there (national chains)” for a while.

The prices will be the same in every please mum store - regardless of location. If a pair of pants is regularly $20 in vancouver, it’ll be $20 here.

Checked out the store yesterday. It is a Please Mum “Outlet Store” and apparently have only signed on with the mall for 3 months. Really good prices on prices on mostly summer stuff but said they were getting winter stock later this week. Didn’t have debit machine yet so cash only for now. Quite a few shoppers while we were there. Hope they do well and stay for the long run. Time will tell.

I was in there this past weekend, seems like there is a lot of merchandise for some VERY cheap prices (sale on sale on sale type of prices). They do advertise that they are an outlet store and are open on a trial in the mall (until end of Feb). If sales are good through the holiday season and into the new year they will become a more permanent fixture (as per my discussion with one of the associates working). No debit machine, but associate said it would be arriving soon.

The store was PACKED when we were in there on the weekend.

Yeah I was under the impression at first that Please Mum was expensive… However, looking @ some of the prices online & in the outlet in our mall… Whew great prices on awesome clothing for the infants.

I bought 2 complete outfits that are amazing for only like $70!