Pizza Hut Closed

Rupert has a Subway, just not a renovated one.

^^^ I don’t even…

Oddly enough you’ll mostly find them in small farming communities were A&W doesn’t exist. Went to one in Manning, AB, all day breakfast and coffee frappes are pretty good.

Always wondered about A&W, they were around a LONG time before the other franchises. One across the street from our high school in the late 60s, I grew up cruising the Rubberchew in Roadrunners, Hemicudas, Javelins, Boss 302s… of course I was stuck with a totally uncool Hillman Minx.
I even remember going to the one near Lougheed & Gilmore in Granpa’s boat sized 59 Pontiac.

It’s rarely mentioned when discussing franchises on the Net. Didn’t catch on in the USA or what?

There was also a rare treat: KFC that was only in Penticton at first. The only place you could get Dr. Pepper too. When the first McD’s opened it had 19c burgers. The local drive-in (God knows what it was called) dropped theirs to 15c. There was also a Harvey’s on Kingsway and one in Surrey right across the Patullo bridge. Both gone, now the only Harvey’s I know of is in YVR.
Pizza Hut folded in Prince George in the early 90s, just came back a couple years ago. The new kid on the block in PG is Mr.Mikes, took over the failed East Side Mario’s. The old Mr Mikes faded away back in the 80s, they used to be everywhere.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Always wondered about A&W, they were around a LONG time before the other franchises. One across the street from our high school in the late 60s, I grew up cruising the Rubberchew in Roadrunners, Hemicudas, Javelins, Boss 302s… of course I was stuck with a totally uncool Hillman Minx.
I even remember going to the one near Lougheed & Gilmore in Granpa’s boat sized 59 Pontiac.

It’s rarely mentioned when discussing franchises on the Net. Didn’t catch on in the USA or what?

[/quote]

A &W is an American franchise.

A&W was an American franchise. The Canadian arm was sold off in the 70s, and has had no connection (other than the name and image) to the American one since then.

Hey Herbie ! Thats pretty funny you mentioning a Hillman Minx . That was my first car 1960 Hillman Minx . Still had a crank to start it if the battery went dead.

Times they are A changin. My first car was a 1956 Austin Caimbridge, four on the tree, 6 cyl.with overdrive…it had crank too I hope Pizza Hut gets back on their feet.

Times they are A changin. My first car was a 1956 Austin Caimbridge, four on the tree, 6 cyl.with overdrive…it had crank too I hope Pizza Hut gets back on their feet.

Jesus christ, how old are you people? is someone gonna come in here next and say ‘my first car was a horse’ ?

Old…very old. :smile:

Nope, but a high-school buddy went to A&W on his horse a couple times.
In the Pre-Cambrian era when Eatons, Woodwards and Pimps & Queers were around and Woolworth’s was called the five-and-dime store.

[quote=“hitest”]

Old…very old. :smile:[/quote]

Oh please, if you are that old you wouldnt be removing them with force.

[quote=“jesus”]

Old…very old. :smile:

Oh please, if you are that old you wouldnt be removing them with force.[/quote]

I stand corrected…usually I shake my cane at them and glare malevolently. :smile:

I see they are removing teh coolers and other equipment already, guess that ship is sunk ! Now they can fill that spot with A&W lol