Pinnacle wood pellet terminal

[quote=“midge”]If people think that this is a “Graham/Beach/Water St issue”, you need to give your heads a shake… That’s a bad attitude, for one, and it’s completely ignorant of the complexity of issues surrounding Pinnacle Pellet and their site, for another. Yes, having 7 x 200 ft silos in front of my house will spoil my view, and that’s a real bummer, but let us put that aside for a moment… What really aggravates me about this thread, is the misguided attitude that myself and my neighbours deserve to see our neighbourhood turned into an industrial wasteland because we CHOSE to live in a “traditionally” industrial neighbourhood… huh??

My husband and I bought our house about 10 years ago, right about the time that the pulp mill was going TU… We must have looked for over a year, at about 70-80 (maybe more!) houses, before we found this beautiful 5 bedroom house on lower Graham Avenue… WOW! The owner was a mill employee and he had another mortgage as well as this one, so he sold us this house cheap (hmm, now I know why)… What fools we were, buying a beautiful house, lots of bedrooms for the kids, a school nearby, an ocean view, and inexpensive to boot… yes, we were told that the Port owned the land across the lane. Did we (or I, I guess I should say) know that the land was designated “light industrial”? No, I did not… I had never even heard the term “light industrial” until last week… Moreover, I didn’t really care! All I cared about was that, I got a cheap house on the waterfront… yay me!

But all that is beside the point.

What really bothers me is the opinion of some, that my kids health and well being, and my neighbours kids health and well being don’t really matter as much as the rest of the children in Prince Rupert, because we bought cheap houses on the waterfront… We deserve to see the value of our homes plummet by at least 60%, leaving us with absolutely NO resale value, because we were arrogant enough to buy adjacent to port land… I guess we should just shut up and take our lumps… thank you very much for your support… That’s a very dangerous attitude to have… I sure hope I’m around to see the day when you need someone at your back ‘btthedog’, because, rest assured, It won’t be me… I’m gonna sell my house cheap and get the hell out of town!!

Any takers???[/quote]

It’s unfortunate that your view will be compromised but as my friend JC pointed out to you, there is a rail yard right in front of your property. There’s also a warehouse, dock, a tug operation, and components of the fishing industry. It’s a waterfront industrial area in a port community that is on the rebound. These types of issues occur all the time in many other areas but we’re not used to growth anymore. I have family in Surrey who just lost the view from their condo because of a high rise development. I also can appreciate the issue surrounding property values but more jobs and industry will still improve the market for you. Still a great location.

I can’t believe anyone wants to see this on our waterfront, have you seen the pictures? It’s a monstrosity and will be visible from many more neighborhoods than just graham and water streets, Borden,summit, and the service park area will have a great view too. I urge everyone who cares to show a picture of this horrendous thing to everyone they know. Years after they have figured out that it’s impossible to keep the pellets dry and are long since shut down we will still be looking at this thing. This is NOT light industry, put it in Ridley!!!

how high do you think the old grain elevator silos were? and back then when rupert was booming no one on graham avenue houses lost value because of the silos right across from them. They were still in demand. But all those concerns are serious for the current house owners about pollution, sight lines, value and so on. no one can predict how much house values will decline because of the pellet plant, but the company can reassure or not, the other legitimate questions the owners have

[quote=“midge”]If people think that this is a “Graham/Beach/Water St issue”, you need to give your heads a shake… That’s a bad attitude, for one, and it’s completely ignorant of the complexity of issues surrounding Pinnacle Pellet and their site, for another. Yes, having 7 x 200 ft silos in front of my house will spoil my view, and that’s a real bummer, but let us put that aside for a moment… What really aggravates me about this thread, is the misguided attitude that myself and my neighbours deserve to see our neighbourhood turned into an industrial wasteland because we CHOSE to live in a “traditionally” industrial neighbourhood… huh??

My husband and I bought our house about 10 years ago, right about the time that the pulp mill was going TU… We must have looked for over a year, at about 70-80 (maybe more!) houses, before we found this beautiful 5 bedroom house on lower Graham Avenue… WOW! The owner was a mill employee and he had another mortgage as well as this one, so he sold us this house cheap (hmm, now I know why)… What fools we were, buying a beautiful house, lots of bedrooms for the kids, a school nearby, an ocean view, and inexpensive to boot… yes, we were told that the Port owned the land across the lane. Did we (or I, I guess I should say) know that the land was designated “light industrial”? No, I did not… I had never even heard the term “light industrial” until last week… Moreover, I didn’t really care! All I cared about was that, I got a cheap house on the waterfront… yay me!

But all that is beside the point.

What really bothers me is the opinion of some, that my kids health and well being, and my neighbours kids health and well being don’t really matter as much as the rest of the children in Prince Rupert, because we bought cheap houses on the waterfront… We deserve to see the value of our homes plummet by at least 60%, leaving us with absolutely NO resale value, because we were arrogant enough to buy adjacent to port land… I guess we should just shut up and take our lumps… thank you very much for your support… That’s a very dangerous attitude to have… I sure hope I’m around to see the day when you need someone at your back ‘btthedog’, because, rest assured, It won’t be me… I’m gonna sell my house cheap and get the hell out of town!!

Any takers???[/quote]

Hey, I feel your pain and disappointment. While not precisely on issue, we bought a house too (not on the waterfront), but in what we thought was a quiet neighborhood with crown land behind us. As soon as people started leaving the area for other areas, their houses became dilapitated rentals and party houses. The junk in the yards of homes is deplorable. Multiple broken down boats, cars and other crap. Not sure which is worse - living in a town (& neighborhood) that appears straight out of “hoarders” (and worrying about rats potentially packing disease) or looking at silo’s and worrying about one’s health. Somehow there has to be a compromise in all this - industry and residential – it comes down to respect. Perhaps the City of PR needs to create a department that works as a liason between the Port and the citizens affected by industry on the waterfront, and at the same time works towards cleaning this town up … it’s been let go for too long and now we are all paying the price in one form or another. Bylaw’s enforces pretty much squat from what we see. They threaten to clean up messes and bill the homeowner, but never do. Our town looks like a slum and if there are silos blocking views … that is so unfortunate especially because it’s kind of a saving grace - our magnificent views. If you look at the lower mainland waterfront, they have the same issues and most of the waterfront land is taken up by industry. Fairly recently, some North Shore residents with views fought (I believe it was Campotex, but don’t quote me) for similar reasons. My understanding is that the residents won. What North & West Van have done over the years is provide waterfront walkways with train tracks right next to them. The walkways follow the beach line and they have a retaining wall with a fence separating the train tracks. It’s a compromise but keeps most people happy. Perhaps if the City had a dedicated ‘growth liason department’, they could work with the Port to create compromises and while not optimum when one’s view is at stake, they may come up with an acceptable compromise. Of course, all this costs money … therein lies a problem. Perhaps the growth liason department needs to be a board of interested volunteers making recommendations to council and the Port. It sure is a dance.

Pinnacle Pellet is back in town tonight at the Lester Center at 7 pm. They will be making a presentation and then allowing the public 3 minutes each to speak. Here’s some things to think about from the Waterfront Committee.

What is the Future of our Waterfront?
Would you like to have a more aesthetically pleasing waterfront with beach access that is safe and developed for community use? Do you want to continue to be able to go for a walk, ride a bike or attend waterfront events during Seafest?

Are you concerned about tourism in our community? Do you think visitors to our city are surprised when there is no waterfront park?

Did you know that the area adjacent to Kwinitsa station where 40 years ago in 1972 a waterfront fire occurred, is still fenced off, contaminated, and littered with jagged rocks, broken pilings and rebar?

Did you know that people are already experiencing delays of up to an hour getting on and off the Airport ferry, BC Ferries and the Alaska ferry? And that there have already been letters of complaint sent to CN Rail because of these delays?

Are you aware that train traffic is projected to increase 5 fold with the development of Phase 2 of the Prince Rupert Container port? And that the pellet shipping terminal will add to the rail congestion?

Are you concerned about the potential for gas and dust emissions? Are you worried about the potential for explosions and fires such as those experienced at other Pinnacle pellet producing facilities?

Are you concerned that the loss of taxes from the depreciated values of the homes that are adjacent to the railway and the pellet terminal will be made up by increases in other areas of the city?

Did you know that each of the 7 proposed Pellet Shipping Terminal silos will be nearly as tall as the Highliner and that the terminal will only bring 10 new jobs? Is that a reasonable trade-off?

The Port is holding a public meeting on Monday, June 18 at the Lester Centre from 7-9 pm where you will be able to express your opinions and ask questions.

Would you like to see a comprehensive plan to develop our waterfront for more residential, community and recreational use for the people of Prince Rupert?

We need to think of the future of our community for our children and our own quality of life
The Prince Rupert Waterfront Committee
– Citizens for an accessible, beautiful, vibrant waterfront. Visit:www.pelletfreeneighborhood.wordpress.com for more information

why do ppl think the public has a right to the waterfront? it is owned by the port and cn, anybody that does walk around down there is trespassing unless you stay near the old train station, if CN wanted to they could put up a fence and close the waterfront off for good. Get real ppl, we have a working waterfront and will always have a working waterfront, until the mid eighties the waterfront was always busy with trains and so forth, most ppl just got used to it being dead for so long they think it is a public right to be there. Ppl objecting to the pellet plant might have legitimate concerns but access to the waterfront is not one of them.

I agree with you Jabber63 and its not like we don’t have access to the water front. We have more than there use to be many years ago when there was more industry going on. There are lots of places that have industry on the water front and that have public access too.

[quote=“justhereforthesun”]Pinnacle Pellet is back in town tonight at the Lester Center at 7 pm. They will be making a presentation and then allowing the public 3 minutes each to speak. Here’s some things to think about from the Waterfront Committee.

What is the Future of our Waterfront?
Would you like to have a more aesthetically pleasing waterfront with beach access that is safe and developed for community use? Do you want to continue to be able to go for a walk, ride a bike or attend waterfront events during Seafest?

Are you concerned about tourism in our community? Do you think visitors to our city are surprised when there is no waterfront park?

Did you know that the area adjacent to Kwinitsa station where 40 years ago in 1972 a waterfront fire occurred, is still fenced off, contaminated, and littered with jagged rocks, broken pilings and rebar?

Did you know that people are already experiencing delays of up to an hour getting on and off the Airport ferry, BC Ferries and the Alaska ferry? And that there have already been letters of complaint sent to CN Rail because of these delays?

Are you aware that train traffic is projected to increase 5 fold with the development of Phase 2 of the Prince Rupert Container port? And that the pellet shipping terminal will add to the rail congestion?

Are you concerned about the potential for gas and dust emissions? Are you worried about the potential for explosions and fires such as those experienced at other Pinnacle pellet producing facilities?

Are you concerned that the loss of taxes from the depreciated values of the homes that are adjacent to the railway and the pellet terminal will be made up by increases in other areas of the city?

Did you know that each of the 7 proposed Pellet Shipping Terminal silos will be nearly as tall as the Highliner and that the terminal will only bring 10 new jobs? Is that a reasonable trade-off?

The Port is holding a public meeting on Monday, June 18 at the Lester Centre from 7-9 pm where you will be able to express your opinions and ask questions.

Would you like to see a comprehensive plan to develop our waterfront for more residential, community and recreational use for the people of Prince Rupert?

We need to think of the future of our community for our children and our own quality of life
The Prince Rupert Waterfront Committee
– Citizens for an accessible, beautiful, vibrant waterfront. Visit:www.pelletfreeneighborhood.wordpress.com for more information[/quote]

You ask a lot of questions about what we would like to see or want and I’ll tell you what I’d like to see. I’d like to see my property taxes go down. I’d like to see a prosperous community once again - one that will allow out children to stay in their home communities because there are jobs and the ability for them to prosper. I’d like to see the community become excited again about where it’s heading rather than dwell on negativity. I’d like to see the community take advantage of its unique position on the west coast of North America to allow ourselves and those who rely on the industries in other communities to prosper.

The waterfront has always been the key to Prince Rupert’s economy. We’re not going to be growing crops, drilling for oil, or mining in our community. We ship and receive here, that’s what we do. The port has already indicated that they are aware of the social issues and have identified the need for recreational space. Relax… It’s going to be ok.

Yeah, I’d never buy a house in that area for this reason, would hate to spend all that money and then lose a ton of value and make resale even hard when it’s already hard in the first place in this town. I don’t know who will be spending the near and over $400,000 for a home on Graham Ave now, or over $500,000 for a home on Water st. that’s going to be a tough loss for those people cause they won’t get anything near that price now.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

The waterfront has always been the key to Prince Rupert’s economy. We’re not going to be growing crops, drilling for oil, or mining in our community. We ship and receive here, that’s what we do. The port has already indicated that they are aware of the social issues and have identified the need for recreational space. Relax… It’s going to be ok.[/quote]

isn’t their plan 15 years away hahah lets develop and take away all the water front from the people of Rupert and in 15 years from now we’ll throw them a bone.

Rupert real estate is over priced in some neighbourhoods at the the best of times, but If anyone has valued their house at 500,000 dollars ON WATER STREET??? Then they have either delusions of grandeur or have caught boomtown fever!

20-25 ships a year, sounds to me like they would be leaving the bulk of the pellets laying around until large loads can go out = dust.

[quote=“brah”]

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

The waterfront has always been the key to Prince Rupert’s economy. We’re not going to be growing crops, drilling for oil, or mining in our community. We ship and receive here, that’s what we do. The port has already indicated that they are aware of the social issues and have identified the need for recreational space. Relax… It’s going to be ok.[/quote]

isn’t their plan 15 years away hahah lets develop and take away all the water front from the people of Rupert and in 15 years from now we’ll throw them a bone.[/quote]

The area you speak of is not a recreational area. It is an industrial area with an existing wharf, warehouse, seafood operation, tugboat company and rail yard. There is no park or sandy beach being taken away.

I’ve been pondering this issue this morning and have an analogy that I’d like to share. If you think of our country as one large business entity then we are the shipping and receiving department. We can’t ship and receive without access to the outer edges which translates into using the waterfront. If you think of shipping and receiving in a warehouse it has to be located strategically in order to efficiently move product in and out. It wouldnt make sense to clog up the outer edges with lunch rooms and offices, for example, and these could be located in other areas. Does it make business sense to put a recreational area in the middle of an industrial area? No! Especially in an expanding and growing business environment. Just my thoughts.

Anyone bitching about this is a fool, the area has always been industrial and frankly should remain that way, its a polluted mess. While it has been used for many years as a recreational area it is certainly not one and was never meant to be one.

If the citizens of Prince Rupert wish to have a waterfront recreational area perhaps they should lobby their city council to provide one and perhaps if the community was more business friendly you could actually afford to build it.

If you were a big enough sucker to pay big bucks for a house next to a designated industrial area then while I feel for you, you should have known better and when it comes time to purchase your next home you will know better. I would be upset too but not with the city, or the pellet terminal, I’d be upset with myself and possibly my realtor if they neglected to inform me.

[quote=“jesus”]Anyone bitching about this is a fool, the area has always been industrial and frankly should remain that way, its a polluted mess. While it has been used for many years as a recreational area it is certainly not one and was never meant to be one.

If the citizens of Prince Rupert wish to have a waterfront recreational area perhaps they should lobby their city council to provide one and perhaps if the community was more business friendly you could actually afford to build it.

If you were a big enough sucker to pay big bucks for a house next to a designated industrial area then while I feel for you, you should have known better and when it comes time to purchase your next home you will know better. I would be upset too but not with the city, or the pellet terminal, I’d be upset with myself and possibly my realtor if they neglected to inform me.[/quote]

not that I disagree with you at all but it’ll be a shame if Ruperts arguable nicest residential area ends up in a massive down turn from industrial and our only water from access becomes cut off to the public just like Ridley was. Quality of life for it’s residents needs to be consider and I doubt developing our only water front into industrial would help this, although it is an industrial zone losing it or building a wood pellet plant that stacks up as high as the highlander should be a concern for everyone in town, Rupert can be a depressing place to live for many and this really wouldn’t help the city’s image.

[quote=“brah”]

[quote=“jesus”]Anyone bitching about this is a fool, the area has always been industrial and frankly should remain that way, its a polluted mess. While it has been used for many years as a recreational area it is certainly not one and was never meant to be one.

If you were a big enough sucker to pay big bucks for a house next to a designated industrial area then while I feel for you, you should have known better and when it comes time to purchase your next home you will know better. I would be upset too but not with the city, or the pellet terminal, I’d be upset with myself and possibly my realtor if they neglected to inform me.[/quote]

not that I disagree with you at all but it’ll be a shame if Ruperts arguable nicest residential area ends up in a massive down turn from industrial and our only water from access becomes cut off to the public just like Ridley was. Quality of life for it’s residents needs to be consider and I doubt developing our only water front into industrial would help this, although it is an industrial zone losing it or building a wood pellet plant that stacks up as high as the highlander should be a concern for everyone in town, Rupert can be a depressing place to live for many and this really wouldn’t help the city’s image.[/quote]

I agree it is kind of a shame however there is plenty of waterfront around prince rupert that can be turned into a park. Sure it wouldnt be conveniently downtown and maybe the waterfront downtown could be “saved” by some sort of land swap deal with CN but it will cost the city money, money they don’t have.

There is a misconception with the value of Water St property. The land is very cheep compared to Graham and Atlin. If you do some searching that house that is $500,000 is sitting on land that is assessed at $45,500. Compared to Graham and Atlin land values of $125000 and up that is a steel. Id say if there is not going to be any industrial development in front of them then there assessments on the land should sky rocket. If they continue with the pellet plant than they are within line of there current land assessed values.

Its not like we don’t have access to our waterfront and we are not going to lose what is already considered park…Kwinitsa Station down to Atlin Terminal. We would probably have more if the city had the money to fix the trail systems. I’m tired of paying higher taxes, we have to pay over $300 more than last year. My road is crap and not going to be fixed any time soon. We need more tax revenue from bukqsiness not residential.

Laws are only words written on paper, words that change on societiety’s whim and are interpreted differently daily by politicians, lawyers, judges, and law enforcement. Anyone who believes that all laws should always be obeyed would have made a fine slave catcher. Anyone who believes that all laws are applied equally despite race, religion,or economic status is a fool. JohnJ. Miller And Hope to Die. What are we willing to do to stop the insanity ? This corporation is stealing our very well being . For a few extra million they could put it on Ridley, and the money they are saving will come out of our pockets in the form of increased taxes, depreciation of property, increased medical expenses, fire protection only to name a few. This plant is explosive,dusty and an incredibley just invasive, it’s time to stop this now before it goes any further, I think a protest at the port corp is a good place to start, maybe we could get some publicity, help, something !