PayPal Scam/Attack/SPAM?!

So my mother forwards me an email she received in her inbox today, assuming it belongs to me… The letter looks official and says it’s from service@paypal.com… I’m not sure what to think about it.

[quote=“email”]Subject: New email address added to your PayPal account !

You have added something@something.else as a new email address for
your PayPal account.

If you did not authorize this change or if you need assistance
with your account, please contact PayPal customer service at:

paypal.com/us/wf/f=ap_email

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot
be answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose
the “Help” link in the header of any page.

PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD

NEVER give your password to anyone and ONLY log in at
paypal.com/. Protect yourself against fraudulent websites
by opening a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Netscape)
and typing in the PayPal URL every time you log in to your account.

PayPal Email ID PPXX2

[/quote]

I call Mom to wish a Happy Thanksgiving, and ask about what she forwarded to me, explaining I have my own PayPal account, and that this e-mail must be to her. She doesn’t have a PayPal account, so I assume I created one using her e-mail address long long ago. I try a lost password retrieval at paypal.com using her e-mail address and then the one that this email stated as added to her account. Neither were found… So I’m guessing it’s just some SPAM or some crap trick. Is there a way to see if this letter is legitimate without calling PayPal? I think I’ll call them anyway.

Any thoughts? MiG? The thought of a hi-jacked PayPal account belonging to myself is a little scary. No debit, or credit cards would have been added to the account if it exists/existed…

( I edited the info in the RED text if you didn’t figure that out )

Classic Phishing.

We’ve started using ClamAV on our e-mail servers, and it’s now blocking the well known phishing attacks.

Check this:

millersmiles.co.uk/report/1317

and

antiphishing.org/phishing_ar … aypal.html

Lots of examples of this. Don’t click any of the links.

Thanks, I’m checking them out.

-edit. Ah Ha!

In the letter itself, the link actually takes you to “http://210.113.93.102/super/index.php

Bastards!

So no worries then, just some ass out phishing. Thanks!

I have received many a fake e-mail from people passing themselves off as PayPal, trying to get financial account information. One thing I was told by PayPal support is that any correspondence from them will start with ‘Dear ,’. Most of the fake e-mails start with ‘Dear PayPal User,’.

Something to look out for.

Yeah, I get the PayPal phish spam regularly.

Me too. Gotta love phishy spam.

Mike

I get them too, and I’ve never used PayPal in my life. Hell, I don’t even have a credit card!

You should get a credit card. You need to build up a credit history to get loans and mortgages. That doesn’t mean that you need to carry a balance on the card. Just use them for everything and remember to pay them off each month.

[quote=“Dave”]

You should get a credit card. You need to build up a credit history to get loans and mortgages. That doesn’t mean that you need to carry a balance on the card. Just use them for everything and remember to pay them off each month.[/quote]

I tried that once, but I ended up using it too much and ended up using it too much and being unable to pay it off.

It’s a bit like being an alcoholic who avoids bars so he won’t be tempted to drink. When you realize you have a problem managing something, the best solution is to take it out of the equation.

Does anyone know of a card that’s relatively easy to get, and will have a super low balance transfer interest rate? I have a $4500 balance on a card I really want to get rid of. The 18% interest isn’t much fun anymore.

I never really understood interest on credit cards… People buy stuff and don’t pay their VISA bill? Anyway, the annual interest on my card is 18.5%, which isn’t an issue for me. Plus, there isn’t any annual fees… If you’re looking for one with less, like 8% less, the CIBC VISA Selectis only 10.5%…

But yeah, I’m certainly not one to lecture about buying things you don’t need, or spending money that you should be saving, but really now… pay your bills, or don’t use your credit cards!!! Banks make enough off of us as it is!

Check your bank’s website. Stuff like Air Miles are cool to have, so look around for options like that if they tickle your fancy. I wish there were some sort of perks for using my card… I use it for EVERYTHING.

Easiest way to get a better rate – go to another bank and tell them you want to transfer a balance. Banks love competition, and will give you good terms if it means stealing a customer from another bank.

Remember, they are competing to win you over. You are the customer, you are the one giving them money.

Just remember to read to the fine print. Some banks only allow you to transfer part of your balance. In the end, it is always best to keep up to date with your credit cards and to pay them off each month. Oh, cards with fees tend to have lower rates, but not by much.

What’s better… going to a local bank, or trying it online through a national bank?

Well, it depends. If you have a great credit score, try an online bank. But if you need to be evaluated on other items as well as your credit score, go local. At least this has been my experience.