Paul Martin

[quote=“Anonymous”]

There’s a BC law. You’re a citizen of BC. You don’t think you need to follow the law in BC? rationalize it all you want, but you’re a tax cheat. Hope you’re the first one to complain about healthcare cutbacks.[/quote]

A BC law has no jurisdiction outside BC. Duh.

And I don’t complain about healthcare. I haven’t required healthcare in more than ten years.

It has jurisdiction in BC. You’re just trying to rationalize the fact that you’re a cheat. You live in BC and are therefore required to follow BC law.

Don’t waste your time, dude, you won’t convince him he’s wrong. He could shoplift the camera and claim that the shoplifting law doesn’t apply to him because he wasn’t caught.

Yes, it’s a law, yes he will get away with it. Doesn’t make it right, but so what? Would you steal if you knew that there was a 99% chance you’d get away with it?

Order the same camera from California, and all of a sudden you have to pay BC PST. Why is that?

No, I’m not. The purchase was not made in BC. No services were offered by the BC government to facilitate the purchase. BC has no legal right to charge money for something outside its borders and for which it has nothing to do with.

If anything, Ontario should have charged me tax. If it had, then I definitely would have bought it here instead.

[quote=“Anonymous”]

Order the same camera from California, and all of a sudden you have to pay BC PST. Why is that?[/quote]

That tax is being collected federally.

When I’m wrong I admit I’m wrong, but in this case I’m right.

Actually, he’s right.

If you order a taxable item from the USA, you pay both GST and PST on it, because it goes through customs and they can charge you. The first link the anonymous guy posted explains this.

There’s no customs check between provinces, though. If there were, you’d have a nice little invoice for BC PST along with your camera.

Buy a new car in Alberta, what’s the first thing that you need to pay when you register it in BC?

It’s just an enforcement issue – there’s no way for the BC government to enforce this law, since they have no idea you bought the camera. If they knew, you’d have to pay.

About what? You don’t believe you are legally required to pay BC PST on stuff purchased from outside of BC? If that’s the issue, then once again hoshq is wrong.

Now whether you do it or not is another issue.

But if you really want to “prove you are right” then drop by the government service center with your receipt and see what they say. Or just read the links the anonymous guy posted.

Ok, here you go:

rev.gov.bc.ca/ctb/publicatio … st_013.pdf

The Social Service Tax Act (PST) imposes tax on goods brought into the province from outside Canada by
residents of British Columbia. Under a federal-provincial agreement, Canada Customs and Revenue Agency
will collect the applicable tax on behalf of British Columbia on personal importations by British Columbia
residents. The tax applies only to goods that would normally be taxable if purchased in British Columbia.

and from

rev.gov.bc.ca/ctb/publicatio … st_043.pdf

Under the Social Service Tax Act, tax applies to the full purchase or lease price of goods brought into
British Columbia for use, as well as on some services provided outside the province. This bulletin outlines the
procedures for businesses and individuals to calculate and remit the tax payable on purchases or leases from
out-of-province suppliers.

You’re wrong on all counts again, Hoshq.

It’s a federal law, as well as a BC one.

You are legally obliged to pay BC PST.

You’re basically arguing that since you got away without paying, that the law doesn’t exist?

While we’re on the subject of the camera, when I woke up this morning, around 11am, the first thing I did was check the mail. There was indeed a parcel notice, stating that I could pick up the package after 1pm tomorrow. It was agonizing to see that, knowing the camera was in the city but that I would have to wait another 26 hours to get it.

[quote=“MiG”]You’re wrong on all counts again, Hoshq.

It’s a federal law, as well as a BC one.

You are legally obliged to pay BC PST.

You’re basically arguing that since you got away without paying, that the law doesn’t exist?[/quote]

Okay, you’re right, i should pay the tax.

Just drop down to 7-11 and they’ll have it around 3 or 4 pm on the same day, dude. I’ve never had to wait for a package, they will always have them on the same day.

No, don’t pay the tax, but don’t accuse somebody who makes a legal tax deduction of cheating taxes, when the opposite is true.

I did. They didn’t have it. I checked both the 711 and the mall (just before 5) just to be sure.

Read my last post. You might want to put that one in the quote thing.

Did the parcel notice say 7-11?

If so, it just means that they didn’t put it into the computer yet. Sometimes they do that around 6 or 7. They have all the packages the same day, right there in the store.

On occassion, when they’ve said “sorry, it’s not here” I’ve looked behind them, with my eagle eyes, and spotted the one with my name on it. “There it is!”

Heh, it helps if the girl with the long dark hair is working (Jenn?) – she’s pretty cooperative. In fact, I was in there one day, even before I received the parcel notice, and she said “hey there’s a package here for you.” … small towns.

Also, the 7-11 postal outlet is open late, like 11pm or something.

It specifically said the mall.

Oh, sucks. They’re not so cooperative, and they’ve lost packages on me before, even after I got the notice card.

Anyhow, tomorrow, Paul Martin (and probably Miles) in Terrace at 5:45pm, and all-candidates meeting in Rupert at 7:00pm. Which one do I go to? At one I’d have a potentially career-advancing photo opportunity, at the other I’d get to meet the three other candidates, hopefully helping me to better decide which one I want to vote for.

Go for the career opportunity. You can always ask your fellow news reporters for a retelling of the all candidates thing.

Apparently Paul was/will be there for 30-45 minutes, so theres no real point in going to see him speak for such a short time.