Parties both call for an end to sign vandalism

(from the Prince Rupert Daily News)

Parties both call for an end to sign vandalism

tinyurl.com/d6xtw

[quote]Politics is making strange bedfellows on the North Coast as the B.C. Liberals and New Democrats join together to ask for the public’s assistance to stop the vandalism of election signs.

Election signs in Prince Rupert and along Highway 16 are taking a beating as vandals knock down, tear up and even burn campaign signs.[/quote]

the advertising to me seems kind of orwellian and bogus but at the same time thats not the way to react. if you’ve got that kind of time and energy why not do something proactive.

as a witness to the effects myself, i cannot see the rationale.

The fact that it is large scale just gives the parties another chance to get in the news and get attention.

How does that saying go? “any publicity is good publicity”

So its kinda back fired right?

I’m on my steps tonight, fixing my line on the weedeater. A car stops nearby. The driver gets out, runs and whacks a Belsey sign across the street. I yelled at him to stop it. He looks back and runs back to his car yelling “Sorry”. Then I did the unthinkable for a Gary Coons supporter: I went and fix the Belsey.
The thing is, even thought I feel Belsey’s supporters are wrong, I still respect the work of the volunteers who put time into preparing and putting up the signs.
I also saw a bigger Belsey sign broken across the park near the hospital. I felt like stoppin there too but I didn’t have any tools to fix it as the wood was broken.

Frankly, I am surprised it hasn’t been a bigger problem in past years.

The other day I stopped and joked with some Libs who’d surrounded five NDP signs by the High School with about 20 Liberal ones. The arrangement reminded me of Calvin & Hobbes making armies of marching snowmen or something. Next morning ALL the signs were gone but 1 NDP.
I never had sympathy for people who stole the signs, but a few summers back I noticed a lady who’d made neat little rows of plastic greenhouses over her tomato plants. Upon closer inspection I realized the frames were the metal frames from election signs!

NDP supporters remind me of Republicans. They’re so much different in many respects, but they don’t have any respect for the opponent. I never see broken NDP signs in town but Liberal signs are always getting bashed, kind of like how the NDP is always attempting to bash the Liberals.

What makes you think they are NDP supporter? Your ignorance? Let me make an assumption like you did:
The liberals want the NDP to look bad so they go around bashing their own signs and then complain to the media. Spin, spin spin.

Now prove me wrong!

So the torries supporters couldn’t have done it? Or the Green Party? Or the DRBC?

Or drunken teens who think “voting is stupid” or little old ladies with tomato plants?
Believe me, I’ve campaigned for both sides and no party can claim exclusive backing from the louts and the boors.

And a supporter can’t be linked to a party, jack-ass supports does not mean the party is a bunch of losers.

Is there a reward for turning the vandals in?

The RCMP might have something of the sort.

There were at least 5 huge signs and about 20 little ones either laying down broken, or uprooted from where they were supposed to be tonight. One huge sign by the skate park was knocked to bits.

I think it’s just idiotic kids with nothing better to do that’s behind most if not all of the destruction. I watched a kid the other day, walk from PRSS to the Civic and back hitting every bench, garbage can, sign and shed on the way by. He hit the lids off of 2 garbage cans, and booted in the door of the mens field shed… just because he was bored and he just happened to walk by them. Don’t kids have any common sense these days?

Oh my god… I just sounded old. Time to grab a geritol and go to bed.

[quote=“smartass”]There were at least 5 huge signs and about 20 little ones either laying down broken, or uprooted from where they were supposed to be tonight. One huge sign by the skate park was knocked to bits.

I think it’s just idiotic kids with nothing better to do that’s behind most if not all of the destruction. I watched a kid the other day, walk from PRSS to the Civic and back hitting every bench, garbage can, sign and shed on the way by. He hit the lids off of 2 garbage cans, and booted in the door of the mens field shed… just because he was bored and he just happened to walk by them. Don’t kids have any common sense these days?

Oh my god… I just sounded old. Time to grab a geritol and go to bed.[/quote]

And ? what did you do except watch this kid for some time Vandalizing property…

If someone is that pissed off/disturbed, it may not be a good idea to confront them.

bull crap …lol… u can still report it if to the police… unless your some kind of girly man…to watch and do nothing is stupid and makes you just as guilty.

better to be on the sidelines… then doing anything eh…

Well, I just drove by and watched as someone took down a BCFed sign and replaced it with a BCLiberal sign. He threw the BCFed sign into the bushes and whipped out a BCLiberal sign from his truck.

I wish I had my camera with me.

[quote=“MiG”]
I wish I had my camera with me.[/quote]

What?? I never thought this was possible!

[quote=“Astrothug”]bull crap …lol… u can still report it if to the police… unless your some kind of girly man…to watch and do nothing is stupid and makes you just as guilty.

better to be on the sidelines… then doing anything eh…[/quote]

Actually, I did call the cops, gave them his name, and told them where him and his buddies were headed. Don’t turn this around on me and make ME look like the idiot that was destructing public property.