Parking at fairview floats

Well,looks like “BIG BROTHER” is at it again!!Fences going up at old McMillian property and along rail line by BC Ferries.All the longer time parking is GONE.So,fishermen,people living at Dodge cove,Crippen cove and Oona River will only have parking along the highway,very little room.And no consultation with the users who by the way pay moorage,shop in PR etc.What kind of town have we become?Ocean fish,fenced off,water front,fenced off,now Fairview,FENCED off,what next?

Worst place to live in Canada!!!

What is the common denominator? It’s all private property. It’s also the cost of growth and expansion. With the construction of Pinnacle Pellet having started, Smit Marine and Diep Seafoods also have to be moved the old old Macmillan property. It only makes sense to secure these areas so they’re not fighting with vehicle and pedestrian traffic. Whose responsibility is it to provide Dodge Cove and Crippen Cove with parking? Perhaps the SQCRD should pick up a small piece of land for this purpose. As for the rest on the Harbour users, I’m sure that this is just a small growing pain and that there will be more parking space available as the project progresses.

I have friends that sit in rush hour traffic for hours a day that would disagree with you.

There are efforts ongoing to improve many things including waterfront usage and access, and our economy. Our long suffering town is finally showing signs of life but it is also dependent on the waterfront. Be patient, open your mind and relax. It’s all going to be ok.

Lets all complain about having no where to walk our dogs. Lets all complain about the noise. Lets all complain about loosing our view. Lets all complain about the smell. Lets all complain about not having anywhere to park. Lets all complain about the dust. Lets all complain about the weather. Lets all complain about having no job, living off of welfare, being unable to feed and clothe our children.

Too many fucking complainers!!!

I don’t think having an opinion is “complaining” and if it is then we are all guilty of it, human nature. Our town, it is sad that they keep taking away little enjoyments that we have. There is even chatter that they plan a cutoff to the last of the beach area at Kwinitza. you lower your expectations and your dreams when you live here and only the ones who can afford the crazy fares to leave once in awhile are the ones that condemn those of us who may vent. I have a friend who works at the port, always flying off to Van., off to PG to buy new vehicles, concerts in White Rock nd the US. Not much money spent in town by those who certainly have it. PR is not a great place to be unless you resign yourself to “it is what it is” and for our kids, I am fearful for their futures here.

There really is a very simple solution to all of those that find it almost unliveable here. MOVE!

Define OK?

While I can accept the notion of accepting change to stimulate growth and the fact that these fenced areas are private property and the owners can do as they wish I am starting to become a little disappointed with the city’s directions of late (bit of a thread wander-sorry).
Recently (if I’ve read the info right anyway…) the city’s actions to improve our offering has been;
-The elimination two recreational parks (Moose & Tennis courts) to build emrgency responce buildings that don’t meet the initial target they where aiming for (One building to reduce costs).
-Removing the tax exemptions on everyone (except them of coarse). I can think of several service clubs that are just hanging on and putting this extra pressure on them now will surely colapse them. I’m not a deeply religious man but to consider taxing church parking lots, really? Have we got to that point?

Reality:
We have a community that has:
-A known poor weather condition.
-A known high crime rate.
-We are 1 day travel time from the “world”.
-As a small community with a poor economy we have limited exposure to shopping, eateries, etc…
-What you do have available comes at a premium.

Add to this the city’s attempts to squeeze service clubs out of existance and industries various requirements to limit access and I can’t help but understand why people are mad.

We have a challenging climate to attract and retain the profesionals we need to succeed.
Most of these profesionals also have families, the job will keep them entertained- but what about the spouse and possibly children?
While I look past the issues I’ve identified and love it here, I’m an insider whose decision to stay was probably more birth related.
An outsider gets the pleasure of disecting our community with detachment and in a strong economy they are in the drivers seat to go where they choose.
Many do not consider us, others decide not to stay.

Rants about fences and lack of access are just a last straw for many people who have either enjoyed or want to enjoy a happier life for themselves and seem to be continually reminded that it may not be here anymore and this should not be a surprise.
Many outsiders have known it for years.
We need to do better…

[quote=“rupzuk”]Define OK?

While I can accept the notion of accepting change to stimulate growth and the fact that these fenced areas are private property and the owners can do as they wish I am starting to become a little disappointed with the city’s directions of late (bit of a thread wander-sorry).
Recently (if I’ve read the info right anyway…) the city’s actions to improve our offering has been;
-The elimination two recreational parks (Moose & Tennis courts) to build emrgency responce buildings that don’t meet the initial target they where aiming for (One building to reduce costs).
-Removing the tax exemptions on everyone (except them of coarse). I can think of several service clubs that are just hanging on and putting this extra pressure on them now will surely colapse them. I’m not a deeply religious man but to consider taxing church parking lots, really? Have we got to that point?

Reality:
We have a community that has:
-A known poor weather condition.
-A known high crime rate.
-We are 1 day travel time from the “world”.
-As a small community with a poor economy we have limited exposure to shopping, eateries, etc…
-What you do have available comes at a premium.

Add to this the city’s attempts to squeeze service clubs out of existance and industries various requirements to limit access and I can’t help but understand why people are mad.

We have a challenging climate to attract and retain the profesionals we need to succeed.
Most of these profesionals also have families, the job will keep them entertained- but what about the spouse and possibly children?
While I look past the issues I’ve identified and love it here, I’m an insider whose decision to stay was probably more birth related.
An outsider gets the pleasure of disecting our community with detachment and in a strong economy they are in the drivers seat to go where they choose.
Many do not consider us, others decide not to stay.

Rants about fences and lack of access are just a last straw for many people who have either enjoyed or want to enjoy a happier life for themselves and seem to be continually reminded that it may not be here anymore and this should not be a surprise.
Many outsiders have known it for years.
We need to do better…[/quote]

I have two points…

1. It seems to me that the City is being responsible in considering the Moose Tot/Tennis court area for a new emergency building. It’s already owned, will require little site prep and is centrally located. There is no reason that Moose Tot or the Tennis courts couldn’t end up occupying the current RCMP or fire station locations. A tough situation for our elected officials as they try to save the city money and satisfy the needs of everyone involved.

2. I agree with the tax exemption issues and how it will impact service clubs, churches, etc., and I don’t like it either. But the development that many are complaining about will provide some economic stability and end up easing the burden of the current tax base.

I agree that we do need to do better. All of this is a step in that direction. It won’t happen overnight. Lets no fret over what we can’t change. Lets put our efforts in the things that we can and become active in the eastern waterfront planning. Lets be open and give the decision-makers ideas instead of contempt.

Perhaps my message was unclear, I do that…
My real itch with the tennis courts/Moose Tot is they are not attaining the obvious primary goal- one building.
If your going to waste what was, at least meet the goal.
So why didn’t they propose to eliminate the section of 6th Ave. between the two properties to make one lot?
It makes a whole load more sense and I can’t see why isn’t feasable- they’ve done similar things before in the name of progress.

As for your second point, I’m pro development all the way. My opinion was a lot of the complaints against it is due to many influences - not all from industry.
The straw on the camels back concept…
The city seems to have an appetite to take away the few escapes left, It’s obvious they have no resources to build on what we have (although by the efforts on 9th ave one would never know) but what are they expecting to gain by destroying what is?
Do they really think that taxing groups out of existance is in anyones best interest?
Would groups such as the Moose, golf coarse, curling club, Rod & Gun, etc… survive if held to the taxation blade of this city?

The fences are just an obvious- in your face- result.
Everyone (to some degree) wants industry to succeed here.
We have offered no future to a whole generation of Rupetites and are just now at the brink of offering opportunity to stay.
But what are we staying for?
The port has a job to do and so far they are doing a bang up job. Jobs are being created, people are working. This is great.
The city has a job to do too; unfortunately they have put themselves in a bit of a pickle and they just don’t have a clue on how to get out of it (I’m not suggesting it would be easy or painless).
I believe they are contributing far more to breaking the camels back than the port or a few fences.
My 2 cents, YMMV.

Speaking of waterfront, stumbled upon this poster on the city website. Maybe this will be the chance for anybody who have concerns about future waterfront recreational access.

Possibly, SQCRD had tried to promote a trail through there not all that long ago.
Several shortfalls saw its demise
Cost of maintenance was one and having trail directly behind an active rifle range was another that I know of.
I also would imagine a long hiking trail wouldn’t silence the folks who are used to a 2 second drive to their spot of choice.
Perhaps the city has other plans for it now…

[quote=“rupzuk”]Possibly, SQCRD had tried to promote a trail through there not all that long ago.
Several shortfalls saw its demise
Cost of maintenance was one and having trail directly behind an active rifle range was another that I know of.
I also would imagine a long hiking trail wouldn’t silence the folks who are used to a 2 second drive to their spot of choice.
Perhaps the city has other plans for it now…[/quote]

I’d be interested in seeing the Rod and Gun Club relocated. Off island would be good.

Also, everything is in close proximity here. If that area is developed there is an existing transit service that goes right by there. The development of that area is much more appealing to me than sitting on a rocky beach beside an active rail yard.

All private property…I still fail to see the issue here.

I just want to throw out there that squeezing the non-profits in town does NOT profit economic stability for the city whatsover. It’s a posturing effort to make it seem like the administration is willing to cut spending. But the fact of the matter is, the savings is roughly $4000/year for an organization with a $33 million dollar annual budget. Drop in the bucket? I think so.
Considering their staffing and benefit costs have increased literally 297% in the last 6 years, that $4000 will pay 1 persons salary for a month.

How many millions did the City spend to buy a cable company?

How many millions did the City write off because of Citywest’s cellular ‘strategy’?

Hate to sound like a broken record, but everyone seems so intent on big political battles over thousands of dollars. But nobody ever wants to acknowledge the elephant in the room. Not even the so-called ‘right-wingers’ who you would think would be against a government-owned and government-subsidized company competing with private enterprise.

[quote=“Green Bastard”]Lets all complain about having no where to walk our dogs. Lets all complain about the noise. Lets all complain about loosing our view. Lets all complain about the smell. Lets all complain about not having anywhere to park. Lets all complain about the dust. Lets all complain about the weather. Lets all complain about having no job, living off of welfare, being unable to feed and clothe our children.

Too many fucking complainers!!![/quote]

You didn’t even mention City West?!?!?

You’re so right Mig. Peoples’ feathers get ruffled over issues like a few thousand dollars of expenses for our politicians to travel and do their jobs, or for $500 for the sugar shack festival, or the $4000 for non-profit tax exemptions.

The thing is, there are multiple elephants in the room that nobody is talking about!
Citywest is a great example…municipal government has no business owning a telecommunications corporation, especially considering it provides regional services.
What about skyrocketing general administration costs? Increasing salaries and benefits for less and less services? Decreasing quality of public facilities with increasing tax rates?

People seem to have become complacent and just expect this sort of thing I guess. We need some renewal and vision in leadership.