Over 1000 people turn out to protest Enbridge

globaltvbc.com/over+1000+peo … story.html

[quote]First Nations and residents of a community on British Columbia’s North Coast are protesting a proposed pipeline which would carry crude oil from Alberta to the west coast for tanker shipment to places like China.

The “No Oil Tankers” rally kicked off Saturday morning in a Prince Rupert, B.C. park and wound its way to a civic centre where First Nations leaders were scheduled to speak and musicians like Bif Naked were expected to perform.

Read it on Global News: Global BC | Over 1,000 people turn out in Prince Rupert to protest Enbridge pipeline.[/quote]

CBC says “hundreds”: cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c … rally.html

[quote]More than 600 protesters have taken to the streets of Prince Rupert, B.C., to oppose Enbridge’s proposed Northern Gateway pipeline from Alberta’s oilsands to Kitimat, a port on the northern B.C. coast.

The super-sized rally is being hosted by the Hartley Bay First Nation, a tiny village at the end of the Douglas Channel — the main access point for tankers arriving at the planned Enbridge terminal in Kitimat.[/quote]

REAL democracy. Not that crap our governments try to sell overseas.

It’s good to see people in the streets giving the finger to the corporate overlords who think they own us.

x

Agreed.

The unity that is being created from this is awe inspiring. Feuding 1st nations putting their differences behind them and focusing on a common fight. People from all different cultures standing arm in arm. I’m not sure if Harper and Oliver have any idea how strong the people of northern B.C are becoming. This pipeline will happen over my dead body, and I know I’m not the only one to feel this way!

[quote=“DHCollins”]REAL democracy. Not that crap our governments try to sell overseas.

It’s good to see people in the streets giving the finger to the corporate overlords who think they own us.

x[/quote]

I could not agree more. I cannot assume to ever speak for anyone else but as far as I am concerned we are not just saying NO, but to be very, very clear, just FUCK RIGHT OFF! This is no more crude than the oil they are trying to pump down our throats.

While I support the people against this pipeline, I struggle with everyone’s and my own hypocrity. I’m against this pipeline almost entirely because of the potential for an environmental disaster. Like everyone else though, I consume oil based goods at a staggering rate. Fuel, consumer goods, etc… Native groups who are against this consume massive amounts of fuel for the boats they use to fish the very area’s they want to protect. I struggle with our NIMBY stance on this whole thing. It’s ok to consume oil based products, just so long as the oil doesn’t ruin OUR back yard. Let some other country/state/province take the risk.

We’re all a bunch of hypocrites.

[quote=“chaos”]

[quote=“DHCollins”]REAL democracy. Not that crap our governments try to sell overseas.

x[/quote]

I could not agree more. I cannot assume to ever speak for anyone else but as far as I am concerned we are not just saying NO, but to be very, very clear, just FUCK RIGHT OFF! This is no more crude than the oil they are trying to pump down our throats.[/quote]

well said… couldn’t agree more!

[quote=“CrazyMike”]While I support the people against this pipeline, I struggle with everyone’s and my own hypocrity. I’m against this pipeline almost entirely because of the potential for an environmental disaster. Like everyone else though, I consume oil based goods at a staggering rate. Fuel, consumer goods, etc… Native groups who are against this consume massive amounts of fuel for the boats they use to fish the very area’s they want to protect. I struggle with our NIMBY stance on this whole thing. It’s ok to consume oil based products, just so long as the oil doesn’t ruin OUR back yard. Let some other country/state/province take the risk.

We’re all a bunch of hypocrites.[/quote]

I had the same feelings about this, but as I thought more about it and informed myself on the issues I came to realise that there are alternatives to sending crude oil overseas. We can create alot more jobs and wealth from this resource if we refine it in Canada. We recieve very little benifit from exporting all our raw resources.

[quote=“CrazyMike”]While I support the people against this pipeline, I struggle with everyone’s and my own hypocrity. I’m against this pipeline almost entirely because of the potential for an environmental disaster. Like everyone else though, I consume oil based goods at a staggering rate. Fuel, consumer goods, etc… Native groups who are against this consume massive amounts of fuel for the boats they use to fish the very area’s they want to protect. I struggle with our NIMBY stance on this whole thing. It’s ok to consume oil based products, just so long as the oil doesn’t ruin OUR back yard. Let some other country/state/province take the risk.

We’re all a bunch of hypocrites.[/quote]

No hypocrisy here this is not about our ‘staggering’ consumption of fuel, we have more than enough oil here to meet our needs. This is about risking our environment and our health so someone else can have a better bottom line. Fuck enbridge.

If they were refining the oil in canada and exporting refined fuel I and many other people would likely not have an issue. The plan they have now is stupid on two levels; One they are pumping raw oil through pristine environment and two we are losing out on the REAL jobs by not refining it here in order to make some oil execs billions of dollars.

Agreed, not all of us, but I certainly consume more than my ‘fair share’ as well. We are all looking and thinking about energy alternatives and I believe the source that may save us is right beneath our feet in the form of Geo-Thermal energy.

I am fully against Enbridge , but to hear everyone actually believing they can do anything to stop it is just crazy . These people rule the world , do you think that a couple little towns are going to stop them???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwnV7FIUsSs)

x