Our reputation continues to gain notice

Yikes from the pages of the Vancouver Sun, our employment prospects (or as it turns out lack of them) continue to draw attention…

vancouversun.com/jobs+here+C … story.html

If we can knock off Miramichi we can be No 1

Sadly it does nothing to increase the length of time one can collect EI. Then for many the only option is leave or go on welfare.

This is old news… EI is a chance to move on to the places on the best employment list…

This is really old news…
EI is a chance to move on to the places that are on the big available employment list. Rupert was good for a very long time and all good things come to and end… such is life… :smile:

Oh boy…

Not sure if you saw this list a couple months back when we were ranked the 163rd best place to live - out of 179. Which means if you are a glass is half empty kind of person we are the 16th worst place to live…

list.moneysense.ca/rankings/best … d1=a&sc1=0

No jobs in Prince Rupert that’s the problem isn’t it.

[quote=“enviroguy”]Oh boy…

Not sure if you saw this list a couple months back when we were ranked the 163rd best place to live - out of 179. Which means if you are a glass is half empty kind of person we are the 16th worst place to live…

list.moneysense.ca/rankings/best … d1=a&sc1=0

No jobs in Prince Rupert that’s the problem isn’t it.[/quote]

I’ve been in IT in Rupert for 11 Years with all kinds of experience in management and self-employement yet after four months I still don’t have a job. I may have to declare bankruptcy soon.

The Terrace photo is actually of New Aiyansh.

Yeah I see that… :smile:

Not that anybody who reads the Vancouver Sun would know the difference between New Aiyansh, Terrace, or Prince Rupert. They’re all “up there somewhere…”

vancouversun.com/Column+Nisg … story.html

They’re recycling their photos of “up there somewhere”

Edit: They’re pretty sloppy with the other photos as well. Matane QC is apparently recruiting for the US Secret Service? WTF? I doubt that photo is even in Canada. Also, I ate at Subway in Matane once.

On another note, the other #2 town is Bay Roberts, NL. I know some people who live there, but they work in St. John’s. What’s the methodology here? Some of the towns listed would probably be considered ‘bedroom’ communities or suburbs. The photo used for Bay Roberts is from somewhere in Los Angeles.

Edit #2: Ok, this is turning into a game of “where is this?”

Dolbeau-Mistassini, QC’s photo is actually from San Francisco: denverpost.com/frontpage/ci_15042683

Corner Brook, NL’s photo seems to be from Quebec, but not certain, could just be a generic stock photo:
ledevoir.com/economie/emploi … voir-moins
ledevoir.com/economie/actual … i-en-un-an
www2.macleans.ca/2009/04/13/forg … %80%9970s/

Amos QC’s photo is from Los Angeles as well: ibtimes.com/articles/88500/2 … s-jobs.htm
reuters.com/article/2010/12/ … 0020101201

Elliot Lake, ON’s photo seems to be American too: uniradioinforma.com/noticias … 41173.html

Campbellton, NB’s photo is also very likely American: edition.presstv.ir/detail/110620.html

New Glasgow, NS has also moved to the USA: examiner.com/democrat-in-los … use-senate
e24.no/mer-enn-40-000-faerre-nye … e/20020341

And Miramichi, NB’s photo is also from Los Angeles: salon.com/news/great_recessi … _economies

All I know is that I know that I love living here. I don’t need a news article or a report to tell me.

Yes simply stated and I whole heartedly agree… :smile:

There are jobs out there, not lots yet but things are happening.
I can’t believe people would rather stay on EI and complain about living here. Come on now, if you really want to work there are jobs and opportunity out there.
Maybe not your perfect job but there is work. Some people choose to be picky and if they can’t get their ideal job with great pay then they bemoan their situation and criticize.
Life is what you make of it, get yourself going or get to someplace that will have fulfillment for you. The clock is ticking.
Try to use your energy to move forward rather than constantly complaining and placing blame on Prince Rupert. Those of us that love it here are tired of hearing your criticism and constant negativity.

[quote=“BOW”]There are jobs out there, not lots yet but things are happening.
I can’t believe people would rather stay on EI and complain about living here. Come on now, if you really want to work there are jobs and opportunity out there.
Maybe not your perfect job but there is work. Some people choose to be picky and if they can’t get their ideal job with great pay then they bemoan their situation and criticize.
Life is what you make of it, get yourself going or get to someplace that will have fulfillment for you. The clock is ticking.
Try to use your energy to move forward rather than constantly complaining and placing blame on Prince Rupert. Those of us that love it here are tired of hearing your criticism and constant negativity.[/quote]

Truest word ever posted in this forum… As I stated early it’s not as it was here for employment but a good living is here if you make it that way… I get sick of the negative people as well who won’t just move on if that is the best thing for them… I for one love it here…

[quote=“jamesbrown”]

[quote=“BOW”]There are jobs out there, not lots yet but things are happening.
Try to use your energy to move forward rather than constantly complaining and placing blame on Prince Rupert. Those of us that love it here are tired of hearing your criticism and constant negativity.[/quote]

Truest word ever posted in this forum… As I stated early it’s not as it was here for employment but a good living is here if you make it that way… I get sick of the negative people as well who won’t just move on if that is the best thing for them… I for one love it here…[/quote]

I believe it would be beneficial for the last two commentors to uncouple “Not want to be here,” and “employment” from their unified inferences about employment negatively affecting “wanting to live in Prince Rupert.” Because one does not necessarily influence the other.

Ahem. Who says this kind of bullshit? The statement above is obviously a one-sided biased take on employment opportunities and persons seeking employment in Rupert which is also making good use of blanket assumptions of effected person’s collecting social services or employment insurance. Surely, you can appreciate that not everyone is on EI, nor Social Services and is still need of a good job that pays ALL the bills right? I mean, with the stringent EI qualifications I bet alot of people up here didn’t qualify for EI. I know I surely didn’t.

Of course every person has to move forward that is a given. Reading that statement from my perspective I am inferring that you are suggesting that if a Rupertite were not able to secure employment in their field “they should be happy making 1/4 of what their skill level is, in something they just don’t find engaging” and “be happy I live in Prince Rupert.

Let’s not even get started on the hiring and firing practices in Prince Rupert industry as of late. That would be the silver bullet, the case-in-point the haymaker…the proverbial nail in the rebuttal coffin.

Perhaps consider for a moment, that people in Prince Rupert publicly relay the negative aspects of this kind in conversation [and maybe on forums?] in the hopes that other Rupertites have solutions or want to seek solutions to an issue that many Rupertites find a clear and concise issue in Prince Rupert: decent paying jobs.

Amen to all of your observations above Mr/Mrs. Meep.

Ahem. Who says this kind of bullshit? The statement above is obviously a one-sided biased take on employment opportunities and persons seeking employment in Rupert which is also making

Perhaps consider for a moment, that people in Prince Rupert publicly relay the negative aspects of this kind in conversation [and maybe on forums?] in the hopes that other Rupertites have solutions or want to seek solutions to an issue that many Rupertites find a clear and concise issue in Prince Rupert: decent paying jobs.

Seems Meep Meep can’t find a job he likes and wants everyone else to come up with some answers to his problems. Maybe he should move to the land of "Everyone does my thinking for me!"
First suggestion should be for Meep Meep to stop trying to letters on a public blog site. Nobody’s going to hire a ranting sour puss that has a gift for run on sentences I’m afraid… meep meep…zooom!

[quote=“BOW”]Ahem. Who says this kind of bullshit? The statement above is obviously a one-sided biased take on employment opportunities and persons seeking employment in Rupert which is also making

Perhaps consider for a moment, that people in Prince Rupert publicly relay the negative aspects of this kind in conversation [and maybe on forums?] in the hopes that other Rupertites have solutions or want to seek solutions to an issue that many Rupertites find a clear and concise issue in Prince Rupert: decent paying jobs.[/quote]

[quote]Seems Meep Meep can’t find a job he likes and wants everyone else to come up with some answers to his problems. Maybe he should move to the land of "Everyone does my thinking for me!"
First suggestion should be for Meep Meep to stop trying to letters on a public blog site. Nobody’s going to hire a ranting sour puss that has a gift for run on sentences I’m afraid… meep meep…zooom![/quote]

Childish and unoriginal. I rely on nobody, thank you very much. I’m not ranting, I’m airing a few thoughts and a perspective which happens to be “mine.”

Because you can’t handle a word or two from this thing commonly known as “reality” - is not my problem. “Trying to letters” as you so astutely stated I am taking to mean “Trying to write letters” which well, isn’t the case. Please refer to my first paragraph. It’s the internet. Nobody really cares about anything that is said here until someone hits a sore note or makes a comment contradicting another person’s opinion.

Thanks for the sour puss name calling by the way. That was the highlight of my night. Again, childish and unoriginal not to mention overly combative for someone who jumped all over my original post regarding how Rupert’s economy has affected me as of late.

Well these guys are more concerned about the wrong photos being on the list than about talking about the real issues. Guys, the economy sucks here! It’s not negativity it’s the truth! It doesn’t mean I don’t like Rupert. It just means that the economy sucks. If all you want is good news then go to Disneyland. But this is the real world, where people need money and jobs to live.

You know if you aren’t a teacher or in health care your livelihood is tied to the strength of the economy so this kind of thing matters.

…and no I don’t care if they use the wrong photo on the site.

Prince Rupert is based on who you know, not what you know. People that hire at the BIG jobs in Rupert already pick out whom they are going to hire before the job’s are posted or before resumes have been submitted. Besides that you think about how poorly our children are being educated in this town it’s no wonder why some people don’t have the common sense to hire accordingly. I see this style of hiring daily and it is very sickening to watch and no one can say anything. So with Prince Rupert nearly at the bottom of the list we have no one to blame, but the dishonest people that hold the power to hire someone, based off their education and not their looks or relationship to that person

Prince Rupert is based on who you know, not what you know. People that hire at the BIG jobs in Rupert already pick out whom they are going to hire before the job’s are posted or before resumes have been submitted. Besides that you think about how poorly our children are being educated in this town it’s no wonder why some people don’t have the common sense to hire accordingly. I see this style of hiring daily and it is very sickening to watch and no one can say anything. So with Prince Rupert nearly at the bottom of the list we have no one to blame, but the dishonest people that hold the power to hire someone, based off their education and not their looks or relationship to that person