Old BBS

Does anyone remember that ol BBS we had in Rupert around 1995/96 era?
What ever happened to that. I know it is useless to bring back but that was when I had a very slow modem. Slower than 14.4. That was a sad era. :cry:

The one I used to frequent back then was the Junkyard BBS, I have no idea who ran it. There were a few others in town that I knew ofā€¦ one called Titanic, and another one operated by a bunch of SAR guys.

When you first sign up, you were aloud a few kb for download per day. OLD SCHOOL.

pyramid was one, I used to visit them for games all the time but thats all I remember. Well, that and the fact it took an hour or two to download 100K

Hmmā€¦that brings back memoriesā€¦I ran Junkyard BBS. From Dec '93 till the end of Feb '97, when my daughter was born.

I still have it backed up on a couple of QIC-80 tapes, though that tape drive is long gone.

WildCat! BBS software, Novell Lite 1.1, 2 dialup nodes, 4 computer w/4 CD drives and 6 HDā€™s ranging in size from 120Meg to 500Meg.

I must say though I ran with ARCnet cards when I went multi-nodeā€¦man did they suckā€¦I remember the day I migrated that whole mess to ethernet. Ran better but I did not like Novell Lite much.

Was the first to bring in Internet email to Rupert that I know ofā€¦I think that was the beginning of '95, before Kaien internet and Citytel started their internet. jybbs.com was the domain.

There were others over the years, Titanic, the SAR BBS run by William Trowell and Mike Ringer. There was another but cant recall the name of itā€¦oh yeaā€¦ IMac. Stood for I make all cracksā€¦I know that fellow, heā€™s still around town.

Yea BBSā€™s were a big part for a long time. Dialed into my first one in '85 at a blazing 300bps. :smile:

There is a big DVD set released a month or so ago detailing the history of BBSā€™ing and interviews with some of the people that ran themā€¦I remember a few of those names and dialed into their BBSā€™s at one time or another.

VMS

I remember you now. You sent out a message to everyone that you were closing down. Than the internet Xploded around here. You are the benchmark around here, not Mr. Gates. :smiley:

I was introduced to your BBS by M. Duncan. I was wondering what the hell email was back then. :laughing:

Good day.

I feel left out :frowning: Whatā€™s BBS?

Iā€™m not sure, but Iā€™m thinking Bulletin Board System.

yep it is a Bulletin Board. that is all we had b-4 the good ol internet kicked in.

Hey Doc Loveless, welcome back home. Yahooooooooo! :smiley:
Ganhada is here also.

Oh man, I feel old now, thanks Landon.

I grew up in St. Johnā€™s, at the peak of the BBS movement there. Started at 300 baud! Even ran a BBS myself for a while. I think at one point there might have been 20 or 30 BBSes going at the same time, some with multiple lines and eventually some with fidonet connections.

Cool stuff.

[quote=ā€œVMSā€]Hmmā€¦that brings back memoriesā€¦I ran Junkyard BBS. From Dec '93 till the end of Feb '97, when my daughter was born.

I still have it backed up on a couple of QIC-80 tapes, though that tape drive is long gone.

WildCat! BBS software, Novell Lite 1.1, 2 dialup nodes, 4 computer w/4 CD drives and 6 HDā€™s ranging in size from 120Meg to 500Meg.

I must say though I ran with ARCnet cards when I went multi-nodeā€¦man did they suckā€¦I remember the day I migrated that whole mess to ethernet. Ran better but I did not like Novell Lite much.

Was the first to bring in Internet email to Rupert that I know ofā€¦I think that was the beginning of '95, before Kaien internet and Citytel started their internet. jybbs.com was the domain.

There were others over the years, Titanic, the SAR BBS run by William Trowell and Mike Ringer. There was another but cant recall the name of itā€¦oh yeaā€¦ IMac. Stood for I make all cracksā€¦I know that fellow, heā€™s still around town.

Yea BBSā€™s were a big part for a long time. Dialed into my first one in '85 at a blazing 300bps. :smile:

There is a big DVD set released a month or so ago detailing the history of BBSā€™ing and interviews with some of the people that ran themā€¦I remember a few of those names and dialed into their BBSā€™s at one time or another.[/quote]

I donā€™t think that Iā€™ve ever met you, but you were a crucial component of my upbringing.

was that the one with usurper or whatever it was on it?

Glad Iā€™m not the only one who remembersā€¦ that, and L.O.R.D.

Sorry MiG :wink:

I didnā€™t really start using any form of networking until dial-up was available in Prince Rupert. My first modem was a 28.8 USR External, which I still haveā€¦ I must have missed all the fun stuff.

Back then the internet = pr0n to me, even at that age :wink: scary isnā€™t it?

Anyway, moving onā€¦

Waves to VMS now that he knows who he is

I started Pyramid BBS after I discovered them though the Junkyard. God those were good times. I couldnā€™t afford an extra phone line in those days so thats when we moved it to the SAR building and ran it from there. Junkyard was really the pioneer for them for Rupert. I started mine because I wanted to understand how they work internally.

Mike

Didnt know there was some of you folks hanging out hereā€¦Yea had a few door games. Usurper and LORD were two of them. I cant even remember the others nowā€¦

Kinda makes me want to put together a box and restore it all from tape if I could find a Colorado Jumbo tape drive.

There is software out there to attach a Wildcat bbs to the internet via telnetā€¦that would be a laugh.

I hate to be the guy that resurrects a dead thread, but,

Did someone say BBS?

ooh! I still have my Commodore 64 and 300baud modem somewhereā€¦
If anyone resurrects a BBS be sure to call it Lazarus!

Heh hehā€¦ we used to wire up unused numbers in the C.O. and hide modems so they looked like they belonged to someones data port. If yer super was in on it theyā€™d last for yearsā€¦

I know this thread is archaic.

As far as I know we started the first regular BBS in town called the Great White North back in 1986. It ran off GBBS on our Apple //s. We were the local Apple ] group.

It was pretty silly but we traded a lot of stuff and made some good friends.

We shut it down and let inky run with his iMac. Oh, and iMac back then stood for IBM/Mac.

yā€™nowā€¦some of these accoutns look suspiciously familiarā€¦

[quote=ā€œLucky Dayā€]I know this thread is archaic.

As far as I know we started the first regular BBS in town called the Great White North back in 1986. It ran off GBBS on our Apple //s. We were the local Apple ] group.

It was pretty silly but we traded a lot of stuff and made some good friends.

We shut it down and let inky run with his iMac. Oh, and iMac back then stood for IBM/Mac.

yā€™nowā€¦some of these accoutns look suspiciously familiarā€¦[/quote]

I think I recall you guysā€¦I might have even called in a few times. And no I dont think iMac stood for thatā€¦I believe it stood for: I make all cracks.

I ran one for a while tooā€¦Junkyard BBS.