Ok Prince Rupert, try not to panic this time

Highway was closed at 11 this morning, most likely remaining that way until the storm blows through the Terrace area…

drivebc.ca/majorEvents.jsp

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/ter … 76421.html

and things aren’t much better all the way through to Prince George and places north, south and east

opinion250.com/blog/view/836 … +dangerous

There won’t be much of a rush to fill up gas tanks, with the pre-pay stuff going on.

How annoying is it to fill up a tank at 7-11 Esso now?  I go in, give them my credit card and tell them I’m gonna fill it up.

“How much”

“I dunno, usually 35-40 bucks or so.  Here’s my credit card, I’ll be right back.”

“No, I can’t turn on the pump unless you give me a number first, and then you’ll have to pay before you pump.”

“I don’t know how much.  I want to fill the tank.”

“Sorry, but those are the rules.”

“So there’s no way to just fill up my tank without knowing to the penny how much it’s going to cost in advance?”

“I guess not.”

“Ok, no problem, I’ll go to one of the other gas stations that knows how to do a pre-auth for a fillup, or better yet, go to a gas station with pay-at-the pump.  See ya.”

Thats what i do :stuck_out_tongue:

Some gas stations will allow you to fill up if you give them your car keys, some wont.

Ack! Ack!
No gas can get thru, and even if it does they won’t let you buy it!!!
Ack! Ack!

I’ve been filling up with no problems at Chevron.  I just swipe my credit card and wait until it is gets authorized.  Then I select a grade and fill it up.  It asks if you want a receipt printed.  I key in yes.  Done. :smile:

Now, go try this at 7-11 :stuck_out_tongue:

I haven’t tried 7-11.  Chevron is working for me…don’t want to mess with success, heh-heh. :sunglasses:

True,

I’ve always wondered why gas isn’t like everything else at 7-11…
$2.99 a Litre: "convenience"
The kids still buy their chips at 7-11 for $3.99 when it 50 feet to the grocery store that sells them for $1.69 - $2.49

If they knew what they were doing, they’d do a “pre-authorization” on their credit card machine.  It’s not rocket science.  Restaurants do it all the time – they print out a bill for $50 (and pre-authorize it) and then bring it to you to sign it.  Then they bring it back to the machine and do the transaction for real (including tips and adjustments).

Lots of gas stations do this too, especially with debit. 

This is my 3rd attempt at 7-11 Esso in Rupert, though.  Three different attempts to fill up and three different people who didn’t know how to do it.  So I guess I won’t be going back.

As far as the Rupert 7-11 Esso is concerned, there will never be a fill-up transaction.  Period.  Ever.  Unless you can guess how much, to the penny, you’ll need.

I haven’t seen more than one car at a time at 7-11 in the last couple of weeks.  It used to be the busiest place in town, now the pumps are practically deserted.

You obviously haven’t been getting taquitos at 2:30am.

Do you have to estimate the number of taquitos you’re going to eat before you eat them?

as of 11:17PM TONIGHT  highway to terrace is still closed and there will be an update tommorrow morning at 8am .

drivebc.ca/majorevents 

this is the place for up to date news of the highways

Blowing snow, drifting snow and now an avalanche warning…

Update: 11 pm Saturday, February 9

Highway 16 Both Directions

Closed in both directions from Prince Rupert to Agate Creek Bridge (41.3 km) because of Limited Visibility with Blowing Snow and Drifting snow and High Avalanche Hazard. Next update at 7 am Feb 10. Updated on Sat Feb 9 at 7:55 pm. (ID# 59879)

Feb 09, 2008 07:55 PM

Closed in both directions from Rainbow Pass to 40 km west of Terrace (79.1 km) because of High Avalanche Hazard. Next update at 6:00 am Sun Feb 10. Updated on Sat Feb 9 at 7:53 pm. (ID# 59919)

Feb 09, 2008 07:53 PM

Closed in both directions from Agate Creek Bridge to Terrace (93.6 km) because of Limited Visibility with Blowing Snow and Drifting Snow and High Avalanche Hazard. Next update at 7 am Feb 10. Updated on Sat Feb 9 at 8:48 pm. (ID# 59873)

Feb 09, 2008 08:48 PM

Ah don’t ya worry, I’m heading out with my shovel as I write this…  :smiley:

Coquihalla has been closed for 2 days now too!
You have to NOT pay a toll and NOT drive an extra 1/2 hour heading South. The economy of Spuzzum would have doubled if there was anything left there!

Went to www.drivebc.ca and seems Highway 16 is still closed, unless they’re slow updating the site.

Not sure where your looking but the update came at around 3:45
The 'road" is open out of Dodge…