Not much room for conversation at city council Monday night

Well biased or not, I agree with you. Both Anna and Gina are first term councillors going up against someone who’s been in City Hall for a good portion of his adult life both in senior staff and elected positions. The mayor has the gavel at these meetings and like it or not, wields a great deal of power. Jack has shown that he is quite adept at using procedures to shut down debate and close off City Hall from public scrutiny. If any of the councillors attempted to correct him, according to Council procedures Emperor Jack may have quite easily found grounds for them to be tossed out…

princerupert.ca/admin/editor … edures.pdf

1. Improper Conduct
    (1) No member or person attending the meeting may interrupt a member who is speaking, except that a Councillor may raise a point of order.
    (2) No member or person attending the meeting may cause a disturbance, disrupt or in any manner delay the conduct of business at a meeting.
    (3) No member or person permitted or invited to speak on any matter coming before the Council or a committee may use rude or offensive language or, by tone or manner of speaking, express a point of view or opinion or make a allegation which, directly or indirectly, reflects upon the public conduct or private character of any person.

As troubling as it is to see this bully behaviour used on a senior citizen that has done much for Prince Rupert, sometimes the best way to deal with a public bully is to let them kick ass/ make an ass of themselves so the voters can see the Emperor’s clothes. I also suspect Jean Martin is mentally a whole lot tougher than the Emperor Jack.

The question his bizarre public behaviour poses is whether he is behaving this way as he deals with the ongoing Watson Island saga? If so, it’s no wonder the City has been unable to resolve the many issues they face.

I would really like to know if at any time after the Council meeting, if any of our Councillors took the initiative to apologize to Mrs. Martin themselves. I wish there was a way to find that out because if not then they are just as rude and disrespectful as the Mayor himself. There should be no “gag order” on their own time. If no one from Council contacted her, then any respect and hope I may have had for any of them at all is gone.

[quote=“Speakuppr”]

Well biased or not, I agree with you. Both Anna and Gina are first term councillors going up against someone who’s been in City Hall for a good portion of his adult life both in senior staff and elected positions. The mayor has the gavel at these meetings and like it or not, wields a great deal of power. Jack has shown that he is quite adept at using procedures to shut down debate and close off City Hall from public scrutiny. If any of the councillors attempted to correct him, according to Council procedures Emperor Jack may have quite easily found grounds for them to be tossed out…

princerupert.ca/admin/editor … edures.pdf

1. Improper Conduct
    (1) No member or person attending the meeting may interrupt a member who is speaking, except that a Councillor may raise a point of order.
    (2) No member or person attending the meeting may cause a disturbance, disrupt or in any manner delay the conduct of business at a meeting.
    (3) No member or person permitted or invited to speak on any matter coming before the Council or a committee may use rude or offensive language or, by tone or manner of speaking, express a point of view or opinion or make a allegation which, directly or indirectly, reflects upon the public conduct or private character of any person.

As troubling as it is to see this bully behaviour used on a senior citizen that has done much for Prince Rupert, sometimes the best way to deal with a public bully is to let them kick ass/ make an ass of themselves so the voters can see the Emperor’s clothes. I also suspect Jean Martin is mentally a whole lot tougher than the Emperor Jack.

The question his bizarre public behaviour poses is whether he is behaving this way as he deals with the ongoing Watson Island saga? If so, it’s no wonder the City has been unable to resolve the many issues they face.[/quote]

Well he might have the “power” to do so, but really it would be a rather foolish use of it in this instance. I suspect that section is more in place to re-direct debate should it get run off the rails by combative councillors or those making presentations.

Simply asking that the person at the microphone be allowed to finish her sentence, probably would not be cause for such a use of executive privilege.

It’s pointless to speak out, especially with a person that responds like our mayor did to Martin. You know why? Because I see his mentality now - overbearing and unethical. People like him maintain “the appearance” of fairness, honesty, ethics and a general public presence but the reality behind the doors and during the everyday operations they plot, look for dirt or find a way to simply make the folks that are asking the hard questions “gone.”

Ashley, Gina…they’re at the whim of the Mayor’s public pressure or subject to his pettiness. It’s not wonder why nothing gets done here.

Codybear or Cobybear , you seem to be very much against His Worship , I think maybe you should ask for a sitdown with him and Ajaye at the same time. You can make them straight , get their shit together. But be careful because I heard His Worship is a lady’s man of sorts and I am sure the must be someone on here that may agree or maybe not. You asked the question about did any City Council member take time to speak with Mrs. Martin well I do not believe they would annouce it on here because His Worship probably has this covered by someone like Ajaye or one of his henchmen. I do not believe they would wish for it to be known if they did or not because His Worship’s gag order scares them .

[quote=“Justin Case”]

Codybear or Cobybear , you seem to be very much against His Worship , I think maybe you should ask for a sitdown with him and Ajaye at the same time. You can make them straight , get their shit together. But be careful because I heard His Worship is a lady’s man of sorts and I am sure the must be someone on here that may agree or maybe not. You asked the question about did any City Council member take time to speak with Mrs. Martin well I do not believe they would annouce it on here because His Worship probably has this covered by someone like Ajaye or one of his henchmen. I do not believe they would wish for it to be known if they did or not because His Worship’s gag order scares them .[/quote]

That is VERY funny JC but I don’t desire a “sit-down” with either of those two as I am sure the very sight of either would bring out the dormant violence in me and I would knock one or both up the side of the head! You are right that they would probably not announce on this site if they had spoken to Mrs.Martin after the meeting but I have to assume, and I know that is wrong, that they have not. Odd that Anna comes on board immediately after our "resident idiot "ajaye makes his stupid comment but not a peep after the rudeness to Mrs.Martin. There is no need to hide when you are out of Council. It takes a big person, a compassionate and caring person to admit that what happened that night was uncalled for. I guess it only is a concern if it is a stupid comment regarding you personally ! What can the Emperor do after all, fire you, so what’s the negative about that?

codybear i hear your a cute do want big fat kiss?

Codybear,

Firstly, when someone refers to me in an inaccurate, or misleading way, I will respond to their comments. I, like anyone else, have a right to do so. This doesn’t mean I am only concerned about things that affect me personally.

Secondly, I am not hiding. I absolutely support Mrs. Martin and her efforts on behalf of recycling in the community and I have told her so on more than one occasion. It takes a very passionate and dedicated person to continue giving of her own personal time coming to meeting after meeting to advocate for what they believe in, whether it be recycling or any other topic. I believe this of everyone who brings forward their concerns to council. It is the right of every person in Prince Rupert to have their concerns heard. And, just so you know, I have talked with Mrs. Martin regarding what happened.

Thirdly, when faced with a situation wherein I don’t agree with, or have a problem with something someone does, I prefer, at first, to talk with them about the situation privately to discuss the matter. If the situation doesn’t remedy itself then I take further action. Admittedly, there are sometimes other solutions that occur to me afterwards, however, I prefer not to escalate matters further without taking these kinds of steps.

I agree that when things like this happen it certainly doesn’t help people to feel comfortable coming forward to council and I intend to do everything I can to ensure situations like this don’t happen in the future.

Thank you Anna for your response and it was very considerate of you to speak with Mrs.Martin. Of all the Councillors you and one other were the ones I felt would have gone that extra mile in this situation. Again, much appreciated.

[quote=“AnnaA”]

Codybear,

Firstly, when someone refers to me in an inaccurate, or misleading way, I will respond to their comments. I, like anyone else, have a right to do so. This doesn’t mean I am only concerned about things that affect me personally.

Secondly, I am not hiding. I absolutely support Mrs. Martin and her efforts on behalf of recycling in the community and I have told her so on more than one occasion. It takes a very passionate and dedicated person to continue giving of her own personal time coming to meeting after meeting to advocate for what they believe in, whether it be recycling or any other topic. I believe this of everyone who brings forward their concerns to council. It is the right of every person in Prince Rupert to have their concerns heard. And, just so you know, I have talked with Mrs. Martin regarding what happened.

Thirdly, when faced with a situation wherein I don’t agree with, or have a problem with something someone does, I prefer, at first, to talk with them about the situation privately to discuss the matter. If the situation doesn’t remedy itself then I take further action. Admittedly, there are sometimes other solutions that occur to me afterwards, however, I prefer not to escalate matters further without taking these kinds of steps.

I agree that when things like this happen it certainly doesn’t help people to feel comfortable coming forward to council and I intend to do everything I can to ensure situations like this don’t happen in the future.[/quote]

Thank You Anna for speaking to Mrs. Martin. I am sure you appropriately made good of the bad situation. I am happy to see your part of this board and we have an opportunity to speakout to you. Have a good weekend.

Just got a crappy soggy newspaper in the mail…and read an article by monica lamb yorski.(a reporter true and blue she aint)…abouty water metering.

Folks this is
the wettest city in the country and we impose water fees on commercial business???..now those business types want equity and want resident to pay for water???

Firstly commercial enterprise shouldnt be charged for water…secondly it sickens me that business “leader” want to push of some of the burden of home owners.

Never heard of anything so frickin ridiculous…

No wonder the tax base is dwindling…