Not everyone is happy with Ridley Terminals

Seems that there is a bit of a backlash from BC and Alberta coal producers over last weeks big announcement from Ridley Terminals.

Should Ridley give priority to BC and Alberta resource companies, or should it be an export terminal for the continent?

tumblerridgenews.com/story.php?id=206304

You cannot blame RTI for going after the deal they have with Arch Coal…clearly there was no indication from BC and Albert coal miners that their use of RTI would be increasing.

RTI needs to expand if it is to remain successful and take full advantage of the huge and growing demand for coal in Asian markets. Their deal with Arch Coal is only going to help them achieve funding to expand the terminal here in PR to double capacity, which will only be good for the city and its population (more jobs, higher tax revenues for the city, more spinoff jobs).

These coal miners from BC and Alberta should be happy that this deal will directly contribute to RTI expansion and ability to double its capacity…which in turn will only help these miners bottom lines (since they can obviously ship more of their coal from RTI).

RTI is probaly the success story of 2010 for Prince Rupert.

This was sent to me a week or so ago…did you know Dan Veniez was now writing for some paper in Vancouver? Not sure if my URL will be hotlinked…

vancouverobserver.com/blogs/ … hen-harper

Yup, was mentioned here last week. Look who's talking

Oh. My bad…missed that one.

I was reading the comments on the Observer (not realizing it was a Liberal love-in) because I thought there must be some lively discussion about some of Dan’s claims and it appears to be fairly one-sided; looks like a few people have dissented and were removed but the arguments against them still remain. I particularly liked the one post about “your local rag” referring to one of the northern papers, I assume as the following phrase mentions how fortunate we were to have had Dan oversee our “pathetic little mill”. Not sure which mill he oversaw was the most pathetic (Kitwanga? Terrace? Port Ed?) but it’s nice to know Vancouver folk have a firm grasp on reality where a company employing thousands can be dismissed so easily.

[quote=“Uncle Stumbly”]Oh. My bad…missed that one.

I was reading the comments on the Observer (not realizing it was a Liberal love-in) because I thought there must be some lively discussion about some of Dan’s claims and it appears to be fairly one-sided; looks like a few people have dissented and were removed but the arguments against them still remain. I particularly liked the one post about “your local rag” referring to one of the northern papers, I assume as the following phrase mentions how fortunate we were to have had Dan oversee our “pathetic little mill”. Not sure which mill he oversaw was the most pathetic (Kitwanga? Terrace? Port Ed?) but it’s nice to know Vancouver folk have a firm grasp on reality where a company employing thousands can be dismissed so easily.[/quote]

Vancouerites dismissing small town jobs? NEVER! :wink:

Interesting article by Mr. Veniez and his comments mirror what the late Mr. Tarr had to say about how RTI was run to subsidize the coal producers.

It will be very interesting to see whether the Harper Conservatives offer up RTI as yet another offering to their friends in big coal or whether they invest in increasing the value of this taxpayer asset and the prospects for the north coast.

Having said this, the Liberal were the ones willing to divest themselves of RTI for peanuts so it’s not only the HarperCons that look to empty the taxpayer’s pockets into the coffers of corporate Canada.

network.nationalpost.com/np/blog … -sale.aspx

More questions about how Ridley Terminals is being operated, this time from a Prince George based writer who has some concerns over the make up of Management at Ridley and their recent announcements, as well as his worries over any proposed privatization plans.

opinion250.com/blog/view/192 … rica%27%3f?

What Ridley has done by signing this deal with Arch Coal is IMO ingenious!

Not only does it basically almost secure certain expansion, but it has ignited a firestorm of support FOR it, with canadian mining companies essentially being handcuffed into lobbying the government to fast track expansion in order to free up capacity for their own endeavours.

Further more, with the new contract revenue RTI basically has almost nearly funded the entire expansion!!

Despite the panicking that is going on outside of Prince Rupert as a result of this deal, in the long run it is only going to benefit our coal terminal and the city.

Good job RTI!!

Well, say what you will about globalization and RTi’s interests being swayed to the USA side of things, they did something! Where were all these “BC and Alberta Coal Producers” a year ago, or now? Why has there been no guaranteed volume overflowing from our domestic coal producers? Please pardon my lack of commenting etiquette but: “Shit or get off the pot!”

Veniez’s “Privatizing the outfit” on the other hand. Hmm maybe first lets ask questions about his finances given the track record during his brief time on the board and his “consultation team” brought in from Vancouver. Mr. Veniez, we don’t want privatization.

US interests or not - RTi is providing a massive economic boost for this region alone.