Northwest weather woes

Heavy rain on B.C.'s North Coast has triggered mudslides and flooding, closing several routes and cutting off two remote communities on Wednesday morning.

cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c … ml?cmp=rss

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/ter … 71798.html

cftktv.com/News/Story.aspx?ID=1533844

cftktv.com/News/Story.aspx?ID=1533634

You’re getting a classic pineapple express. A long stream of moisture with it’s root in the warm South Pacific.

It tends to nose further south into the US as winter approaches.

ssec.wisc.edu/data/geo/index … thod=flash

x

Prince Rupert has received over 120mm of Rain in 24 hrs and almost 194.5 mm since Monday. An additional 70mm is expected to fall throughout Wednesday, Wednesday night and into Thursday morning before this storm system finally starts moving again.

That amount is likely from the airport on Digby, I am sure is 150+ in town for the last 24 hours and 200-250 since Monday.

Is there weather monitoring equipment at City Hall?

If so, I believe that is the source of the information provided at weather.princerupert.ca/

[quote=“Eso”]Is there weather monitoring equipment at City Hall?

If so, I believe that is the source of the information provided at weather.princerupert.ca/[/quote]

That’s so cool. I didn’t know that before. Guess what, average rain in September is 244 mm, but we have 293.6 mm rain so far in September!

Based on the fact that we already have almost 300mm of rain in September, chances are we are going to break a rainfall record this month for sure.

We are also 300mm over the annual average and we still have 3 3/4 months to go, all traditionally the rainest months of the year.

The city will probably break the annual rainfall record as well this year.

When it rains at over 20mm per/h at times, there is no doubt that we will break some sort of rain records lol.

The flooding has closed the Nisga’a Highway West of Gitwinksihlkw, so Greenville and Gingolx aren’t accessible by road.

Moose don’t seem to have a problem with the flood, though.

http://www.nisgaa.bc.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/road-to-gingolx-150x150.jpg http://www.nisgaa.bc.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/moose-in-the-mist-150x150.jpg http://www.nisgaa.bc.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/moose-in-the-mist-3-150x150.jpg

They could use a wee bit of help in Stewart

cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c … ml?cmp=rss

Jeez, and in the Fort we’re finally getting summer three months late!
Been hot and muggy all week, matter of fact Thursday must have been the hottest day of the summer. The breakers tripped at the TV site for the first time since last summer.

[quote=“search”]

[quote=“Eso”]Is there weather monitoring equipment at City Hall?

If so, I believe that is the source of the information provided at weather.princerupert.ca/[/quote]

That’s so cool. I didn’t know that before. Guess what, average rain in September is 244 mm, but we have 293.6 mm rain so far in September![/quote]

Guess the year end for rain must be sept 30th or something like that because it shows annual rainfall for the year at only 250mm.
It showed almost 3000mm on sept 7th, so bang on 10 feet of rain.

Airport webcams, metcam.navcanada.ca/hb/playe … 146&lang=e

x

Hurricane force wind warning in effect.
Wind south 25 knots increasing to 30 to 40 early this afternoon and to 45 to 55 early this evening. Wind increasing to south 55 to 65 late this evening then diminishing to west 25 to 35 after midnight. Wind diminishing to west 15 to 25 Wednesday evening.

Must say this is the nicest sept/oct I can recall.

Hell’s yeah the weather has been faboulous