Northern Health Pollutes Prince Rupert Harbour

Northern Health Pollutes Prince Rupert Harbour

What’s In That Crab you’re Eating?

Have you ever wondered where all the Prince Rupert Hospital waste goes? You know – the fecal matter, the blood, the surgery waste, the laundry waste, and all the germs and disease a Hospital collects.

Yes we agree with you that sometimes ignorance is bliss. But given the nature of hospital waste we thought we should find out how the Prince Rupert Hospital protects the citizens of Prince Rupert from this disease and pollution.

Guess what – it’s a straight flush from the Hospital to the Prince Rupert Harbour. No treatment, no added chemicals to kill the germs, no filtering of the waste – just a straight flush. If it can go down the toilet it goes straight to the Harbour.

The Northern Health hospital team relies on the crabs and tidal washing for pollution control. The tides are expected to wash away the liquid pollution and the crabs are expected to eat the solid waste. Maybe that is why they are so juicy and tasty.

On a more serious note we simply cannot believe that an organization that purports to cure the sick would dump the untreated waste from these same sick people into a local waterway. A waterway the residents use daily for leisure and food.

In a previous article we talked of how the local hospital management reduced the laundry hot water temperature in order to save money and fire some the staff. So now we can’t be sure if the bugs and disease are killed in the washing machines or are simply washed out to the harbour.

There is no testing of the hospital discharge – this costs money and Northern Health doesn’t really care. You know the saying: out of sight and out of mind.

And bye the way – guess who the local Environmental Health Inspectors works for. You’re right – Northern Health. Show me an inspector willing to report the Hospital for dumping waste in our water and I’ll show you an unemployed inspector. And another bye the way – there wasn’t even an inspector located in Prince Rupert for the last several years even though the position existed. Just goes to show where the Northern Health spending priorities are.

We really need to look at the actions of Northern Health and for our community the actions of the Prince Rupert Hospital. This is an organization that spends millions and millions of $’s every year and yet continue to dump its untreated waste into the Prince Rupert Harbour. Again we ask the question – What’s in that crab you’re eating?

Next article – Is Northern Health hiring 2nd class managers in their remote locations?

Wow. Someone’s a disgruntled employee (or is it former?).

The fact we have a combined sewer system…ie storm and sanitary in one line, is not considered best practice, and contravenenes , but given our infrastructure, and challenging soil/rock conditions I think we do ok. As far as I know Victoria still pumps sewage into the ocean as well… could be wrong, but they did up untlil a while back. I find the idea that the hospital stuff is going into the harbour, absolutely scarry. Like who knows what.

Cnst. Ferman,
If you are RCMP, First I find your comments normally straight forward, and to the point, except for the one on this topic. The concern about sewage is not the same as Raffles’ clients. And if you are a “Member” ,I’m afraid you’re echoing an attitude, of the RCMP members, that is becoming a great concern to the people of this Province.

The fact we have a combined sewer system…ie storm and sanitary in one line, is not considered best practice, and contravenenes , but given our infrastructure, and challenging soil/rock conditions I think we do ok. As far as I know Victoria still pumps sewage into the ocean as well… could be wrong, but they did up untlil a while back. I find the idea that the hospital stuff is going into the harbour, absolutely scarry. Like who knows what.

Cnst. Ferman,
If you are RCMP, First I find your comments normally straight forward, and to the point, except for the one on this topic. The concern about sewage is not the same as Raffles’ clients. And if you are a “Member” ,I’m afraid you’re echoing an attitude, of the RCMP members, that is becoming a great concern to the people of this Province.

Cnst. Ferman,

Give me a break… NH has it’s problems but the city is reasonable for the out dated sewage systems we have not them.

This is the stupidest post I ever saw on here

I was in Victoria last weekend and you can often smell the raw sewage in the harbour while on the beaches so Rupert is not alone

How is this strictly a Northern Health issue? Doesn’t the whole city of Prince Rupert flush untreated sewage into the ocean?

[quote=“jamesbrown”]Give me a break… NH has it’s problems but the city is reasonable for the out dated sewage systems we have not them.

I was in Victoria last weekend and you can often smell the raw sewage in the harbour while on the beaches so Rupert is not alone[/quote]

The feds have mandated municipalities to clean up their act… hence the infrastructure improvements to Hays Creek. Just because Victoria still does it, doesn’t mean it’s right

the simple fact is Prince Rupert’s raw sewage (including PRRH) still dumps directly into PR Harbour … and that needs to change

Its my understanding that the City is planning to develop sewer treatment capabilities. Also, supposedly a potential problem is tying in all of the existing sections of town into one treatment facility. There are several, maybe 7, outfalls and hooking them together could be challenging and expensive.

Another reason why we have to be open for business and welcome industrial development. We need the money to complete projects like this. Here are a couple of links on the issue.

earthjustice.blogspot.ca/2008/02 … t.html?m=1

atowncalledpodunk.blogspot.ca/20 … t.html?m=1

Regarding the original post…

hazwastebc.com/news/medical- … ss-canada/

[quote=“Head Dissident”]

[quote=“jamesbrown”]Give me a break… NH has it’s problems but the city is reasonable for the out dated sewage systems we have not them.

I was in Victoria last weekend and you can often smell the raw sewage in the harbour while on the beaches so Rupert is not alone[/quote]

The feds have mandated municipalities to clean up their act… hence the infrastructure improvements to Hays Creek. Just because Victoria still does it, doesn’t mean it’s right

the simple fact is Prince Rupert’s raw sewage (including PRRH) still dumps directly into PR Harbour … and that needs to change[/quote]

I never said it was right, the fact is Victoria has the money to make changes, we don’t. The feds need to step in and assist. Rupert is getting smaller every day and the home owner/ taxpayers have enough burdens…

Imagine if - all those years ago, Rupertites had voted to have a Sewage Treatment system… and not the PAC:

1 - The new Emergency Services Building would be where the Lestre Center is now…

2 - The hospital wouldn’t be pumping poop into the ocean.

3 - Our crab wouldn’t taste so good…

[quote=“AndrewMorgan444”]Imagine if - all those years ago, Rupertites had voted to have a Sewage Treatment system… and not the PAC:

1 - The new Emergency Services Building would be where the Lestre Center is now…

3 - Our crab wouldn’t taste so good…[/quote]

heh heh…

[quote=“AndrewMorgan444”]Imagine if - all those years ago, Rupertites had voted to have a Sewage Treatment system… and not the PAC:

3 - Our crab wouldn’t taste so good…[/quote]

They could have named the sewage plant after Lester.

princerupert.ca/page.php?id_ … d_page=263

The city has the plan in place to treat all of our waste. As always though, it’s a matter of money and priorities.