North Coast voters strongly oppose the HST in referendum

Voters in the northwest overwhelmingly voted in favour of scrapping the Harmonized Sales Tax, according to numbers released today by Elections BC.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 75923.html

[quote=“TheNorthernView”]Voters in the northwest overwhelmingly voted in favour of scrapping the Harmonized Sales Tax, according to numbers released today by Elections BC.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 75923.html[/quote]

Not sure that the vote totals would reflect the term as used in the story of the tax being “narrowly” defeated, the terms I heard on CKNW from the political pundits were “massive repudiation”, “strong message for the Liberals” and on along those lines.

Updated to include comments from North Coast MLA Gary Coons.

And good call Smurfette. I personally don’t think 10 per cent is that much difference in terms of the margin for/against when there’s over a million voters, but probably shouldn’t have editorialized in the story.

If this had been an election, then the government would have lost 60 of the 85 seats. How would you describe that? “Narrowly defeated?”

Gordon Campbell won the last election by 4% of the vote. I would love to see you describe that? If 10% if “Narrowly defeated” then what’s 4% ?