No one is impressed

Every day I meet at least ten morons who try to impress me with how intelligent they are. They don’t even take the time to realize that I’m a dumbass and wouldn’t know a smart person from a clinical retard.
Instead of having normal conversations with one another, they always have to add in big words even my english teacher would have to look up. What do they do, study a thesaurus?
What I am trying to say is, why is it that people find the need to sound so smart and savvy, does it give them a better place in society?
Using your intellegence efficiently really rocks the boat. Instead of sharing one’s knowledge in an aggressive " I know more than you" manner. Why not be more humble about it? Aggressive behaviour can scare people away from learning and brodening their minds.

Peace

8)

well…actually… i could try to explain my behaviour, but i’m not really into self-analysis these days, lets just dole out a heaping handful of “get over it” and a bit of advice :

read everything you possibly can, have an overwhelming need to know the why and how behind everything around you, and realize I dont give a shit about people who dont feel like taking the effort to learn new words - in real life i will never ever begrudge an explanation to someone who isnt familiar with a term - if you’re willing to learn it, if not, you’re a waste of skin.

words are tools we use to describe the how and why, and if your content trying to paint a picture with a hammer, good luck in life.

such specious tripe coming from your a loquacious elitist.

such specious tripe coming from a loquacious elitist.

talking 2 myself:
preview thine own messages, and thou shalt not be thought such a fool.

Some people are starving for a sense of entitlement and are often dillusional.
I often find that people who try arguing often go way off track and try to impress with false opinions just for the sake of arguement. It must make them feel good about themselves or something.
Herbie pretty much summed it up in a short and sweet manner.

(Scrub’s self-admiration and pomposity is entertaining.)

Happy Cinqo de Mayo everyone!

[quote=“jackass”]Every day I meet at least ten morons who try to impress me with how intelligent they are. They don’t even take the time to realize that I’m a dumbass and wouldn’t know a smart person from a clinical retard.
Instead of having normal conversations with one another, they always have to add in big words even my english teacher would have to look up. What do they do, study a thesaurus?
What I am trying to say is, why is it that people find the need to sound so smart and savvy, does it give them a better place in society?
Using your intellegence efficiently really rocks the boat. Instead of sharing one’s knowledge in an aggressive " I know more than you" manner. Why not be more humble about it? Aggressive behaviour can scare people away from learning and brodening their minds.

Peace[/quote]

What about when it makes communication more precise? If you’re such a self-described idiot, then how can you know if the language that someone uses isn’t necessary?

Why do people feel the need to flaunt their vocabulary?

Why should anyone have to “dumb-down” their speech to reach the least common denominator?

not really meaning that as a personal insult to anyone… scrubs ‘painting with a hammer was good’ I’ve used the line twice today…

My life consists 90% of doing complicated shit and attempting to express it in a way that joe average understands. It can be painful when you’re really an elitist yourself :open_mouth: [like me]. What hurts is when they feel stupid, and assume you’re talking down to them, or worse, assume you have some hidden agenda (you’re lying or trying to fool them).

Jackass is going to be ok cuz if it bothers him, he knows he see himself as dumb and therefore will do something about it to make himself feel better.

Did nobody else see the irony there?

[quote=“WonderMike”]

Did nobody else see the irony there?[/quote]

I agree with WonderMike, yet, one would have to assume that Jackass is using the term “Moron” in its historical sense.

[quote=“WonderMike”]

Did nobody else see the irony there?[/quote]

I completely agree with both Eso and Wondermike, why should a geek or just plain smart person (nerd) use such vocabulary that a grade 6 would use ? If anything jackass it is the persons decision whether or not they would like to learn or not. If you want a moron take a look at the people in my english class they say poetry sucks, yet in your music theres poetry (tool rules!)

If you want to complain about anything jackass complain about stupid people who wish to do nothing with there lives but smoke weed and drink beer. I salute you jackass, you would go well in such a group.

Wait wait wait. You suck.

Not everyone who is smart is also a nerd. Take me, for example. And, although I’m very smart, I would desire nothing more than to drink beer and smoke weed all the time.

Words are crude tools, often imprecise or subject to personal opinions.

Larger words are often used to impress other people. It’s funny though because often these larger words are used slightly out of context and kind of have a reverse effect.

After thinking more about your post, and my understanding of your meaning, I have a few books that you might like to look up one day. The first is called “Simple & Direct” by Jacques Barzun. To give you a taste of what he writes about he states, “Most speaking is not plain or direct, but vague, clumsy, confused and wordy.”
If you take French ask your teacher about the phrase “mot juste”, meaning the word that exactly fits.
The second book is “The elements of Style” by Strunk and White. A classic that you will no doubt read in college.
Interesting observations you have made. I hope you continue to be interested in language and its use.