No ip address

Please help, my laptop can not access the internet.

there is another laptop and pc in the house that can access the network with no problem.

For some time the network connection bubble in bottom right corner says “status: acquiring network address” with signal strength is excellent. After that it disconnects.

When trying to ‘repair’ connection it repair window stops on “renewing your IP address”.

Cancelling that I tried ipconfig /release, received:

IP address for adapter Wireless Network Connection 2 has already been released

However connection status was still “acquiring network address”.

I then tried ipconfig /renew, after sometime of “status: acquiring network address” :

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection 2 : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has times out.

While status is “acquiring network address” ipconfig /all says:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : your-0cdc4f5844
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ehernet adapter local area connection:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address . . . . . . . . . : 00-16-36-93-C1-B8

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
Physical address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-A5-FB-23-72
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

Sorry, forgot to mention i am no longer living in Prince Rupert. I am currently living in Surrey and had this laptop shipped from home a few days ago.

If you have a wireless (or wired) router that you connect your computers to, which is then connected to Citywest ADSL/Cable, then there is a problem with the wireless/wired router.

Your wired connection is UNPLUGGED. So if it appears you have it plugged in, replace the cable - or pull it out and plug it in again. That could be the issue by itself.

Your router should be serving DHCP addresses to your computers but has probably locked, or been reset or been damaged from power outage/over-voltage. You will have to reset the router to default by pressing the tiny button (typically at the back of the unit) and restarting your computers. Be careful of Linksys setup discs, I have heard the setup / removal of the software can destroy the TCP internet protocol. If you need your wireless router configured there are a few shops in Rupert that will probably do it cheap e.g.: Databoy, Good Times Games, CompGeared, DC Computers.

If you do not have a wireless/wired router than the problem you are experiencing is that you are not allowed to plug more than one computer into a Citywest ADSL connection unless you pay for the extra IP address. You’d be better off purchasing a router and using that instead.

Look in your wireless connections list. Remove the one you’re trying to connect to, delete it.
Hit join a network or View available wireless connections. Refresh it.
Try to connect to the one you’re supposed to.
If you so much as entered the password wrong once, Windows is so fucking stupid you can never connect again until you do that.

OH YEAH: I’m “assuming” you already rebooted your wireless router. Do that first!

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Look in your wireless connections list. Remove the one you’re trying to connect to, delete it.
Hit join a network or View available wireless connections. Refresh it.
Try to connect to the one you’re supposed to.
If you so much as entered the password wrong once, Windows is so fucking stupid you can never connect again until you do that.

OH YEAH: I’m “assuming” you already rebooted your wireless router. Do that first![/quote]

You for got to tell him to call tech support, if it’s dlink, good luck talking to india! LOL!

so much info there, lol do you want to get hacked?

You going to hack is 0.0.0.0 ip ? Do it up!

Found it doesn’t really matter what brand, you gotta flip them on and off every day up here the power’s so crappy.
It was Monday, so I had to reboot my cafe wlan to get an IP.

[quote=“alexcee”]
Sorry, forgot to mention i am no longer living in Prince Rupert. I am currently living in Surrey and had this laptop shipped from home a few days ago.[/quote]

Just had to rub it in, didn’t ya! :stuck_out_tongue: