NHL lockout is over after 16-hour negotiating session

It looks like the players will be heading back to the ice.

NHL lockout is over after 16-hour negotiating session

[quote=“hitest”]It looks like the players will be heading back to the ice.

NHL lockout is over after 16-hour negotiating session[/quote]

I’m not a big NHL fan anyway so could care less. I think they are all just greedy, overpaid little wussy boys and the fans that say they will boycott the rest of the season? I give that til they hear the sound of that horrendous organ announcing the first period and then they will be bounding for the beer and cheezies and all will be right with the world, once again !!

[quote=“codybear933”]
I’m not a big NHL fan anyway so could care less.[/quote]

I share those sentiments. I’m not a hockey fan. I suspect fans will welcome this news.

How much less could you care, Codybear? haha!

For myself it did not matter to me at all however, I know a couple of young people in the lower mainland that work in bars down town and business has been really off.
They have been working less hours and are trying to pay for expensive education at UBC, so for there sake and many others I am glad it’s over … I know about all the greed on both sides of this but for the little guy trying to make a living or small business owners trying to survive it’s good!

[quote=“jamesbrown”]For myself it did not matter to me at all however, I know a couple of young people in the lower mainland that work in bars down town and business has been really off.
They have been working less hours and are trying to pay for expensive education at UBC, so for there sake and many others I am glad it’s over … I know about all the greed on both sides of this but for the little guy trying to make a living or small business owners trying to survive it’s good![/quote]

Maybe somebody can shed more light on this for me. I felt the same way about people working in bars near hockey arenas and how their jobs would be affected. But I was watching some newscast a couple of weeks ago and some professor (sorry for not being very specific) was saying that the overall affect on a community is negligible. We have disposable income to spend on hockey - either by going to a game, or going to watch at a bar, or buying jerseys or whatever.

While the lockout was on, people whose livelihoods are directly related to hockey - eg a sports bar, a jersey outlet - would suffer, but consumers would just be directing their money toward other outlets - different clothing stores, different watering holes, different activities - that would keep the economy humming. He wasn’t dismissing the situation. Certainly the poor kid who is working his way through school is suffering, but overall how much do the Vancouver Canucks contribute to Vancouver?

There are several entry level jobs at concession stands and there is certainly some well paid players and executives, and some hotels will gain from out of towners coming to see a game, but if the Canucks disappeared how much would Vancouver notice? How badly did Winnipeg suffer when the Jets left and how much did they recover when they returned?

I have no opinion on this. Just curious.

Canuck place has been suffering since the lockout. That’s something the Canucks do for Vancouver.

Hah, you beat me to it DWhite!

[quote=“jamesbrown”]For myself it did not matter to me at all however, I know a couple of young people in the lower mainland that work in bars down town and business has been really off.
They have been working less hours and are trying to pay for expensive education at UBC, so for there sake and many others I am glad it’s over … I know about all the greed on both sides of this but for the little guy trying to make a living or small business owners trying to survive it’s good![/quote]

Hah, you beat me to it!

Do you mean to say there is no greed on the part of those little guy small business owners who want to profit from someone else’s business?

While it takes two to tango, don’t forget this was a lockout.

End of NHL lockout means more money for Vancouver business owners (with video)

well whatever I am glad the two people I know that are working hard to pay for school can survive in very expensive Vancouver

Maybe it’s time for them to get out of Vancouver and find somewhere they can afford.

I wish they could but the cities that have universities that offer what they are needing and looking for are all expensive…