New thrift store - Paws and Claws

In yesterday’s Northern View I saw a classified ad for this new thrift store. I went down this morning because I had some donations I wanted to make. They are located in the old hairdressing shop by CBC. They seem like very friendly people and they are supporting local animal society’s through the sales of the items. They will also pick-up the items. I hope they will come on this site and use this thread to tell us about the groups they are going to support. I wish them success as I am happy to see that funds will be going to worthwhile causes.

Where is it located??

Well done there Val , finally a new thrift store and for the little ones who are unable to speak for themselves. Good Luck and you have my support.

Wishing you all the best Val ! I think it is a great idea and hopefully you will have a little work for a conscientious volunteer!
Be down to see you in the next week !!

Thank You all for supporting our New Business we are very excited in starting the new thrift store so that we can help the animal causes of the north.
Our first society that we are helping is Cannery Row Animal Rescue. We look forward in seeing you all down at the store which opens June 1st. We are taking donations now from Monday to Friday 9am to 12pm, We also pick up any thing that is to big for you just call 250-600-3444. Below is all the details of the store. Hope to see you all there on June 1st!

PAWS AND CLAWS THRIFT STORE
                                             230 3RD AVE WEST PRINCE RUPERT
                                             PHONE FOR PICKUP ONLY 250-600-3444
                                             OPENING JUNE 1ST 2012
                                             HOURS OF BUSINESS; MONDAY - FRIDAY 9AM-5PM

Opening June 1st at 230 3rd Ave West
Taking Product Donations Now Monday
to Friday from 9am to 12pm Pick up if needed
phone 250-600-3444
Store Hours in June are from 9am to 5pm
Monday to Saturday

Paws and Claws is a thrift store that is helping out the Northern
Animal Causes, One of the society’s that is really involved is Cannery
Row Animal Rescue. We hope that we will see you all down at the store
in June supporting the animal causes of Prince Rupert. We want to thank
all the people that have donated to our cause already.

I wish you great success. Are you supporting the SPCA and the Wildlife Shelter also? I don’t know too much about the Cannery Row Animal Rescue. I haven’t heard much about them, can you fill us in? Thanks.

Thank-you for your cheers on the store, we hope to help all the animal society’s in Prince Rupert, Cannery Row is a society that hopes to get all the wild cats spaded or neutered and they also have been involved in getting us allot of product for the store. I will keep you all informed on our donations that we can give to the society’s.

Thanks for all your support!
Paws and Claws Thrift Store

[quote=“Paws and Claws”]Thank-you for your cheers on the store, we hope to help all the animal society’s in Prince Rupert, Cannery Row is a society that hopes to get all the wild cats spaded or neutered and they also have been involved in getting us allot of product for the store. I will keep you all informed on our donations that we can give to the society’s.

Paws and Claws Thrift Store[/quote]

I think it is a great idea, the only issue I have after looking at their f/b page is that they plan to spay/neuter, that is great, but then they plan to house them in this shelter until they are adopted or live out their lives. I hope they are aware that normally you cannot house feral and abandoned or domestic cats together. Dangerous situation for the non-feral as they are very aggressive normally. It would be fantastic to see support to our SPCA and Wildlife also. Do you need a special retail licence for this kind of charitable endeavour? If you hold a sale and want to donate the profits to a society, what kind of licence do you need? Anyone know, that would be fun and profitable also.

sure they looked into this already.

[quote=“Jazella”]

[quote=“Paws and Claws”]Thank-you for your cheers on the store, we hope to help all the animal society’s in Prince Rupert, Cannery Row is a society that hopes to get all the wild cats spaded or neutered and they also have been involved in getting us allot of product for the store. I will keep you all informed on our donations that we can give to the society’s.

Paws and Claws Thrift Store[/quote]

I think it is a great idea, the only issue I have after looking at their f/b page is that they plan to spay/neuter, that is great, but then they plan to house them in this shelter until they are adopted or live out their lives. I hope they are aware that normally you cannot house feral and abandoned or domestic cats together. Dangerous situation for the non-feral as they are very aggressive normally. It would be fantastic to see support to our SPCA and Wildlife also. Do you need a special retail licence for this kind of charitable endeavour? If you hold a sale and want to donate the profits to a society, what kind of licence do you need? Anyone know, that would be fun and profitable also.[/quote]

Actually, it’s not completely true that you cannot house feral or domestic cats together. If they are vetted first for diseases, spayed, neutered and introduced gently vs. being tossed together, they can do nicely together. Many feral cats were once house cats - dumped and left to die by heartless people who are sub-human. Animals have more compassion that that however, I do digress. My point – I have personally seen it work although diligence in the first stages is primary. Not all people like all people – not all cats like all cats. 2 of my domestics do not like each other. Tough luck boys. They deal with it and just agree to disagree by giving each other a wider berth. With cats, some are more social than others but generally they are social beings and will be fine. I have 2 feral cats right now that mingle very nicely with my domestics. Both ferals have been neutered and given shots. Once health was established, we watched them and the domestics actually seek out the ferals and vice-versa. Everyone eats together, they sleep in the sun outside and follow each other around. Yet I can’t get my hands on either of the feral cats. They have names and know their names however, one chooses to live outside without human contact - and the other has chosen to live inside without human contact, but sleeps in the same bed with his domestic buddies.

May the Cannery Row Rescue Society have much success. It is a valiant cause you are undertaking and my hat is off to you. Our household goal will be to donate as much as humanly possible for the Paws and Claws Cause. You all rock and may God bless you and the animals you are trying to help. Maybe someone can find out and report the person(s) who are dumping all these helpless animals in the first place. Spaying and neutering though, will go a long way to giving them a quality of life - whether they are feral or abandoned and looking for a new fur-ever home.

Rock on!!

[quote=“kbrentzen”]

I think it is a great idea, the only issue I have after looking at their f/b page is that they plan to spay/neuter, that is great, but then they plan to house them in this shelter until they are adopted or live out their lives. I hope they are aware that normally you cannot house feral and abandoned or domestic cats together. Dangerous situation for the non-feral as they are very aggressive normally. It would be fantastic to see support to our SPCA and Wildlife also. Do you need a special retail licence for this kind of charitable endeavour? If you hold a sale and want to donate the profits to a society, what kind of licence do you need? Anyone know, that would be fun and profitable also.

Actually, it’s not completely true that you cannot house feral or domestic cats together. If they are vetted first for diseases, spayed, neutered and introduced gently vs. being tossed together, they can do nicely together. Many feral cats were once house cats - dumped and left to die by heartless people who are sub-human. Animals have more compassion that that however, I do digress. My point – I have personally seen it work although diligence in the first stages is primary. Not all people like all people – not all cats like all cats. 2 of my domestics do not like each other. Tough luck boys. They deal with it and just agree to disagree by giving each other a wider berth. With cats, some are more social than others but generally they are social beings and will be fine. I have 2 feral cats right now that mingle very nicely with my domestics. Both ferals have been neutered and given shots. Once health was established, we watched them and the domestics actually seek out the ferals and vice-versa. Everyone eats together, they sleep in the sun outside and follow each other around. Yet I can’t get my hands on either of the feral cats. They have names and know their names however, one chooses to live outside without human contact - and the other has chosen to live inside without human contact, but sleeps in the same bed with his domestic buddies.

May the Cannery Row Rescue Society have much success. It is a valiant cause you are undertaking and my hat is off to you. Our household goal will be to donate as much as humanly possible for the Paws and Claws Cause. You all rock and may God bless you and the animals you are trying to help. Maybe someone can find out and report the person(s) who are dumping all these helpless animals in the first place. Spaying and neutering though, will go a long way to giving them a quality of life - whether they are feral or abandoned and looking for a new fur-ever home.

Rock on!![/quote]

Great post ! Thumbs up!

Thank-You for all your support and cheers on the store, we really appreciate all the support that we are getting for the store, Our goals are basically to help Cannery Row with funding so that they can make a difference in the problem that there is in all these domestic cats that have been left to fend for them selves in the woods, people who just dis-guard any animal is not the way to go, Us humans who take on a pet it is out duty to look after them to the fullest of our ability, You treat them like one of your family members. So Cannery Row wants to try and rescue these cats who have become wild not to hurt them but to help the over populated problem of wild cats who once were a domestic pet to a family.And that way is to have them spaded or neutered, Hoping this will cut down on more wild cats. At this time Paws And Claws wants to once again thank all the people who have been by dropping off things to the store, Our opening date is June 1st, 9am to 5pm, Hope to see you all there!

Thank-You Paws And Claws Thrift Store.

The following is a rumour I hope isn’t true: that some people have objected to the City that our town is not big enough for two thrift stores. Has anyone heard about this?
We need another second hand store to take the pressure off the often overfilled Salvation Army store. I wish the new second hand store well and I expect our generous community will continue to support the Salvation Army and the good work they do. In fact, I think Tourism Prince Rupert could work on making us a second-hand shopping destination. Think of the potential in recycling, upcycling, the pure creative possibilities! The City of Yellowknife has accomplished such a thing with their dump as a tourist destination. It is another end-of-the-road kind of place and they are making the most of it. Now there’s an amazing idea for Third Avenue if I do say so myself.

I heard that too and I think it is disgusting. People complain that the only place to donate to is SA and many do not want to do that. This store would have been perfect. I hope they can work all this mess out and open soon. Keep us posted please. I have some items that if not donated to them or Transition House will be heading up the road to Terrace. I will no longer support SA in this town.

I think its great that Paws and Claws has opened. Not enough room for two thrift stores? Of course there is, one takes care of people and the other takes care of animals. How perfect. Good luck Paws and Claws.

There is no reason in the world or in this town that they should say two Thrift Stores are too many. Yes the animals are very important and in need.
I have a feeling that the unifoms maybe trying to pull strings here which for some reason would not surprise me and many other folk in the community.
There is a lovely town in Ontario which has at least five thrift stores which are doing very well and serving the needs. I do agree that the new one maybe
a bit small but if all goes well they can expand. Just do not raise the prices on the articles because then you start looking like a ripoff business. Good luck to the
new digs , you got my support.

It really is a lovely solution. I admire you all and both thrift stores serve amazing causes. Love it!

Talked to a volunteer for SPCA, they say this thrift store has no plans to support them NOR the wildlife shelter.
It is great to have another thrift store besides SA imho. Hopefully they can look at supporting ALL the animal societies.

[quote=“ratboat4”]Talked to a volunteer for SPCA, they say this thrift store has no plans to support them NOR the wildlife shelter.
It is great to have another thrift store besides SA imho. Hopefully they can look at supporting ALL the animal societies.[/quote]

I believe they are supporting the Cannery Row Animal Rescue in Port Ed. and not the SPCA or the Wildlife here.