New neighbor in the hood

We have several species of owls that are out and about hunting during the day, in particular at dawn and dusk. One the Barred owl is much more likely to be heard during the day than the other owls. The Northern Hawk owl hunts during the day and night. The Northern Pygmy-Owl has visited my yard over the years, during the early evening and mornings. I do not know if it is the same one or different ones but I usually see one sitting in the the nearby trees keeping an eye on my many birdfeeders. They like to hunt the visiting songbirds which are one of their main preys. Their visits are not common. Owls can be heard throughout certain areas of the city and out at the base of Mount Hayes.

Generally it is the Blue or Ruffed Grouse that is present in our area but we could also get visited on occasion by the Spruce Grouse. These birds make a drumming noise beginning slowly at first like a two stroke engine then speeding up. During the early spring if you walk along the Rushbrooke trail in the am you can usually hear one across the harbour. Also out along the Mcdonald trail out at Diana Lake there are also several.

Cheers