New council could shift to the left

Looking over some of the names of would be councillors, it would seem that if successful city council could be making a shift towards the left side of the spectrum, a bit of company for Ms. Thorkelson.

Anyways, of the new names, any stand out as a jump up above the current crop, who do you hope to see get elected and who do you hope like hell doesn’t make the cut?

To refresh your minds, here’s the list as accumulated by the Northern View last week

Christopher Holmes, Farley Stewart, James Kirk, Conrad Lewis, Judy Carlick-Pearson, Rob Vallee, Jennifer Rice and Gabe Mclean join incumbents Nelson Kinney, Anna Ashley, Gina Garon and Joy Thorkelson

There are at least three that I will definitely be watching to see how they perform and present their platforms. At this time, I don’t see anybody that I would be horrified to see elected. Of course I don’t know everybody, so those two statements may change.

I may be wrong, but I don’t think there is enough from the newcomers that any of the incumbents should feel threatened unless there is a total voter backlash against the entire council.

What I would like to see is some of the newcomers as well as the incumbents using this site or something similar to introduce themselves, post regular updates (e.g. campaign announcements), and allow the rest of us to pose questions.

This will be our first election without a daily newspaper so social media has a chance to play a big role. It might also be a chance for the NorthernView to promote more exposure to its online edition.

I don’t really know much about any of the newcomers, outside of Gabe McLean, who always seems to be running for something (but never elected).

I really don’t like the idea of council shifting rapidly to the left, to much of either side is not a good thing at all.

Doesn’t appear to be too many business owners running for council this time around, which concerns me.

Mayor race scares me,not anyone I can see voting for,
I will vote for Joy and Anna,
Who I do not want to see get in is Farley Stewart

[quote=“chookie”]Mayor race scares me,not anyone I can see voting for,
I will vote for Joy and Anna,
Who I do not want to see get in is Farley Stewart[/quote]

I agree 100% The mayor’s races scares me too, and the thought of Farley on council is enough to make me want to leave town even sooner than I am. Also when will Gabe Mcclean give up? lol

The shift to the left won’t hurt us … the right has done nothing for us…

Well I will be the first to offer up an opportunity for anyone who wishes to know more about me and make questions/comments. The best way to provide information on the vision I have for Prince Rupert and where council should be headed is to give people the link to my website. There is a blog on there as well as a comments page, and information about myself, my platform, and general information about the election. It also has a link to my facebook page. I look forward to hearing from you. It is a work in progress so certain details may change as the election progresses so check back once in a while for updates.

My website is: annaashley.com

I’m happy to see Jennifer Rice running. She has integrity and will take a thoughtful approach to the job. She’s a big picture thinker and thinking about the long term health of our community and it’s issues is something we really need. I believe she could bring a creativity to council that is sorely missing, ie not just increasing taxes at every turn.

I’ll be looking forward to an all candidates forum to hear what the candidates have to offer. I think there will be two of these events? One put on by the chamber of commerce and the other might be at the college?

[quote=“AnnaA”]

Well I will be the first to offer up an opportunity for anyone who wishes to know more about me and make questions/comments. The best way to provide information on the vision I have for Prince Rupert and where council should be headed is to give people the link to my website. There is a blog on there as well as a comments page, and information about myself, my platform, and general information about the election. It also has a link to my facebook page. I look forward to hearing from you. It is a work in progress so certain details may change as the election progresses so check back once in a while for updates.

My website is: annaashley.com[/quote]

Thank you for being so accessible. I hope to see you re-elected :smile:

Just another website to look at- Nelson Kinney also has a website- the website address is:

nelsonkinney.weebly.com

[quote=“Smurfette”]Looking over some of the names of would be councillors

Christopher Holmes, Farley Stewart, James Kirk, Conrad Lewis, Judy Carlick-Pearson, Rob Vallee, Jennifer Rice and Gabe Mclean join incumbents Nelson Kinney, Anna Ashley, Gina Garon and Joy Thorkelson[/quote]

I will have to get to know a bit about Holmes, Carlick-Pearson, and Rice - don’t know them.

Conrad Lewis - maybe, but I shudder to think what might become should Stewart, Kirk, or McLean be elected. Not the people I want representing or “running” my city. Hell, I wouldn’t want to be in a room alone with them - and I have spent time around all 3 of them.

As for the incumbents, it will depend on what I learn about the others. I am happy to see Payne doesn’t appear to be in the running, or Briglio trying again.

Hello everyone,

I am new to posting on here but I would like to let everyone know that if you have any questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to contact me. I will try and answer the best that I can. I look forward to hearing from you.

[quote=“NKinney”]Hello everyone,

I am new to posting on here but I would like to let everyone know that if you have any questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to contact me. I will try and answer the best that I can. I look forward to hearing from you.[/quote]

Must be election time. Cant wAit for another 3 years before your next post.

I think it’s great that Councillor Kinney has joined htmf. What’s wrong with trying to give people in Prince Rupert another way of communicating with him? He is always willing to listen whenever people come to his door or give him a call about their concerns.

Kinney already has my vote. Good to see him online too.

[quote=“chookie”]

I am new to posting on here but I would like to let everyone know that if you have any questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to contact me. I will try and answer the best that I can. I look forward to hearing from you.[/quote]

Must be election time. Cant wAit for another 3 years before your next post.[/quote]

I’m very happy to see Mr. Kinney on HTMF!

Welcome to HTMF Nelson. I have three questions.

1. What is your stance on CityWest now that it appears unable to compete effectively with the major Telco’s and is rapidly becoming a major liability to the taxpayers of PR?

2. As one of the original council that spun City Tel off to City West and embarked on a regional expansion without a referendum on the business plan, are you satisfied with how CityWest performed against its original business plan?

3.Would you support releasing the original five year plan now that it is a historical document so the citizens of PR could assess how successful this decision to become a regional telecom was?

BTW…I would love to see the other councillor who was part of that same council answer the same questions. That is if Kathy Bedard cares to make an appearance here.

Thank you

[quote=“AnnaA”]

My website is: annaashley.com[/quote]

Always a pleasure to see you post here Anna. I have three questions for you.

1. What is your stance on CityWest now that it appears unable to compete effectively with the major Telco’s and is rapidly becoming a major liability to the taxpayers of PR?

2. Are you satisfied with how CityWest performed against its original business plan?

3.Would you support releasing the original five year plan now that it is a historical document so the citizens of PR could assess how successful this decision to become a regional telecom was?

Thank you

Hello HTMFers,

I thought I’d let you know that my website is up. I’ll be posting updates frequently so feel free to check in and of course contact me with any questions. More importantly, I look forward to hearing your suggestions on how we can make Prince Rupert an even better community than it already is.

VoteJenRice.com

VoteJenRice@gmail.com

My home phone number: 250-627-4623

Kind regards,
Jennifer

[quote=“Speakuppr”]

Always a pleasure to see you post here Anna. I have three questions for you.

2. Are you satisfied with how CityWest performed against its original business plan?

Thank you[/quote]

Hi Speakuppr,

Well, nothing like a challenge, so here goes. In response to your questions I’m going to start with the easy ones first. Also I am going to respond to each question in a separate post to make it easier for people to read. So following this post will be my answers to your questions.

Firstly, in response to the question:

Would you support releasing the original five year plan now that it is a historical document so the citizens of PR could assess how successful this decision to become a regional telecom was?

In a word, yes. I am not sure of the legal issues surrounding its release and how this could happen, or if it is permitted to be released, however I think I have made it clear in my time on council that I support more sharing of information with the people of Prince Rupert. I believe that an informed citizenry has a better level of dialogue and discussion on issues, which is true of all issues facing Prince Rupert, not just with CityWest. In fact, increased communication and sharing of information is one of the cornerstones of my platform.

I don’t believe government can be truly effective without keeping people informed and staying in touch with how they feel about the issues. Facts are facts, and I see no reason why people should not be able to view the plan and make their own conclusions. I am not privy to any legal or legitimate reason for withholding this document, however there may be reasons, I am not aware of. If those reasons are legal, then I would expect they be made clear and explained to the people at large. If the reasons are not legal, then I would think that some sort of compromise would need to be made because people deserve to know how their company is being run.