National TV Turn Off Week

Prudence, your responce raises some interesting points. I’ll try to respond to each in turn.

I’m betting that at around age 4 or 5 your child and you will disagree about what is a healthy amount of TV. The good news is, according to you, that you are both right. However, I’m not sure what that looks like.

Same as the first point. Healthy in your eyes or the kids eyes?

Okay, but do you really want to allow them access to EVERYTHING that society has to offer? I think rebelling can be healthy, to a degree, as long as one isn’t into drugs, etc.

Great response to Turn off TV Week:

sassone.tripod.com/tvdefense.html

Well Dave, I will be there parent, therefor it will be up to me to decide what the healthy amount of television will be. And yes, healthy in my eyes, not the childs, as their minds need to be developed.
I would obviously not expose them to EVERYTHing society has to offer, as this world is getting pretty twisted in a manner similar to wild beasts. Well let’s not go that far, but you know what I mean. It is a cruel world out there and I am going to shelter my children from any potential harm, as most parents would (or should) do. Yes this means monitoring the types of programing on television and the internet, making it a safe learning environment.
But back to what we were initially talking about, television. I will stick to my word when I say I will not deprive them of this. Books are grand indeed, they will have plenty of these to go along with other educational tools out there, that includes television.

Thanks Prudence, for sharing your thoughts. Sounds like your arguments are thoughtful. Although we still differ on some points, such as how does one calculate what a healthy amount of TV looks like. But does that really matter?

you multiply the number of days in a week by the number of times you use the washroom, divide that by 2…
( How is one supposed to create a logical formula for that? I think that is an unanswerable question)

[quote=“Anonymous”]you multiply the number of days in a week by the number of times you use the washroom, divide that by 2…
( How is one supposed to create a logical formula for that? I think that is an unanswerable question)[/quote]

Nope, that’s not it. Your formula is far too basic and doesn’t account for the rich complexities found in humans. As my logic professor stated long ago, always prefer the most eloquent proof.

I ate my TV.

Hahaha you’re so funny! Now, please leave.

What’s with the recent flood of anons?

I think its just one guy. One lonely, pathetic shell of a human being.

One that could be easily replaced by a small shell script…

Perl is a much better scripting language.

Dude, that was a haiku.

Haiku go coo coo!

[quote=“Dave”]

[quote=“Anonymous”]you multiply the number of days in a week by the number of times you use the washroom, divide that by 2…
( How is one supposed to create a logical formula for that? I think that is an unanswerable question)[/quote]

Nope, that’s not it. Your formula is far too basic and doesn’t account for the rich complexities found in humans. As my logic professor stated long ago, always prefer the most eloquent proof.[/quote]

you need a super computer powered by a flux capacitor to calculate such a formula.

Ends tomorrow. I just couldn’t miss the new ER. Not all TV is evil!!