National TV Turn Off Week

I know this is a US movement, but next week (19th-25th) is National TV Turn Off Week (according to Slashdot). I never owned a TV all during my University years, as one was too expensive. I recently read this quote “commercial television does not sell programs to viewers. It sell viewers to advertisers” (Slade, 2002). Is it possible to turn TV off for a week? I’m going to try.

If we turn off our TV sets, how are we going to watch the MXC Almost Live, Live Episode on April 22?

TV off during playoffs! NOT A CHANCE!

What’s MXC Almost Live? And if it’s “Almost Live” just record it and watch it after. It’ll still be “Almost Live”?

I wonder if you could listen to the games on the radio (internet radio). Just think, it could be an experience in Canadian history, from a time before TV, when families used to gather around the radio and listened to their favourite teams.

TV sucks anyway. I regularily don’t watch it for periods longer than a week, so think of me as a supporter.

MXCs Most Painfull Elimination of The Day! Those bitesized Oriental people are sure good at hurting themselves in the silliest ways.

TV?? What’s a tv?

Oh yeah it’s that thing I watch hockey on. Otherwise I don’t watch tv either.

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-19800/epid-315296/

Can’t Miss It

And plus what about Days??!?!!

If you have time in the middle of the day to watch TV you’re not busy enough. Take up a hobby, adopt a pet, read a good book, go to the gym, visit a neighbour, take a cooking class, listen to the radio, learn a foreign language, I don’t know. Just don’t watch TV. If I understand correctly, “Days” has been on TV for years. Surely missing one week will not cause you to miss much, but if you’re that concerned about missing something important, read about it in the Soap zines.

In order to participate I would have to buy a TV first…

Save your money. The only reason I have a TV is my wife had one when I got married.

I usually just watch TV shows on the G5. EyeTV records the stuff I want to watch, so I just watch when I feel like it. I have no idea when TV shows are actually on. It also lets you skip commercials and save to the hard drive, VCD or DVD.

You can watch live TV and pause, rewind, etc. I don’t think I could watch regular TV without it. It’s like Tivo, but on your computer, so you can do other stuff too.

A PVR is to Television what a CD player is to radio. You watch what you want, not “what’s on”.

Screenshots:

http://hackingthemainframe.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10002/normal_eyetv.jpg

and

http://menino.com/photos/albums/2003-november/normal_csi.jpg

(full versions: tinyurl.com/2mhpe )

Actually, I just took that first screenshot as I was posting this. Am I a geek or what?

I think some people have a problem with commercial TV just like they do with generic Top-40 radio. But that doesn’t mean all TV is crap. There are lots of great shows, but a lot more crap. So you have to be selective. Just like you do with music.

Just because most Top-40 music causes cavaties doesn’t mean that all music is bad for you. If somebody were to reject music outright just based on the Top-40 radio stations, then you’d think they were being a bit ignorant of all the good stuff out there.

When i lived in PG… only had a tv for katie to watch tv when she was board or tired right when she got home… i always on the computer reading or working on audio stuff. i could live with out tv… i just wish that tech tv was on the canadian tv listing’s. : O (

Man, it is so trendy to badmouth TV these days.

tv bad :smiling_imp: Duff good. mmmmmm donuts

It’s always trendy. That is why I am part of the counterculture of people who watch as much tv as they can. We fight the trends! Eso, you’re in if you want.
The funny thing is a lot of people who diss TV are the ones who know a lot about CSI, Family guy, The Simpsons and so on or post on the satellite piracy thread.

Yes! I watch CSI, NCSI and all those fun shows. But I know that I watch too much TV in fact. My wife and I are expecting a baby soon. As our child grows-up, I will certainly limit and monitor the amount of TV he or she watches. But I have to change my TV habits first. The whole teach by example stuff. So next week I’m not watching any TV and yes, it’ll hurt. But it’s a start.

[quote=“Dave”]

I wonder if you could listen to the games on the radio (internet radio). Just think, it could be an experience in Canadian history, from a time before TV, when families used to gather around the radio and listened to their favourite teams.[/quote]

CKNW online broadcast of EVERY Canuck game with Tom Larscheid and John Shorthouse. Their play-by-play is better than tv - especially later in the year, when they have those damn easterners trying to say SEDIN by actually saying SUNDIN.

Yeah turn off tv? haha durring playoffs FUCK NO!!!

Both NHL and a lil bit of NBA (Mavericks, for they have Nash and Nowitski)
hehe

but like if i had to turn it off for a week or the towns cable was cut, at least we’d still get channel 7 (CBC) Muhha then id still get hockey, or just get a tv tunner and boom :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Dave”]

Yes! I watch CSI, NCSI and all those fun shows. But I know that I watch too much TV in fact. My wife and I are expecting a baby soon. As our child grows-up, I will certainly limit and monitor the amount of TV he or she watches. But I have to change my TV habits first. The whole teach by example stuff. So next week I’m not watching any TV and yes, it’ll hurt. But it’s a start.[/quote]

Im sure when you grew up and had a TV your parents never limited you to it? well at least i never mind you i never spent all my time indoors like i do now since when i was growing up we played Manhunt and Kick the can and Street hockey and shit always somthing to do… but as for limit of tv i dunno, I think just limit what you show them… For instance let them watch sesame street! its sad these days when kids don’t know there A-B-C’s or 1-2-3’s already before they go into kindergarten…