More rumours!

Calculated risk is how these companies make money. You have to remember that the decision makers in those companies aren’t made up of jaded Ruperites who still believe the port will never open. These aren’t the “I’ll believe it when I see it” crowd.

I’m not saying it will happen tomorrow… and in fact I’m really not even disagreeing with you. Think of it this way… even if they bought the land tomorrow and started on one of these big box stores, by the time they got all the aprovals and actually got people on site building the store the port would likely be far enough along to fit your definition of “significant progress.”

Mike

And the truth is, I don’t really have any stake in it whatsoever. I just tend to roll my eyes whenever I hear these kinds of rumours start to spread.

Does anyone know for sure that any of thse companies have made any moves toward coming to Rupert?

yes canadain tire has bought the land out at hydro for future building, this i was told from a city admin person.

i to do not believe all the hype, about steel mills, the population boom …but i do believe the above statment to be true land bought fore future develpment by canadain tire…

[quote=“Stardog Champion”]

Maybe so, but I’m not too sure that the populations of the outlying areas are enough to attract business. Not to mention that getting there is quite a different story. If you have a car, it’s easy to just hop in and go to a store, even if it’s an hour and a half drive away. Going by ferry or seaplane is a bit more of an ordeal, plus you have to find transportation when you reach your destination, which means either the bus (which is not conducive to carrying large amounts of stuff), or taxi, which is expensive if your whole goal is to save money.

Plus, most people who would go to these places won’t just go for one or two items–they’ll more than likely be stocking up, which means a lot of cargo to bring either on a seaplane or a boat. Unless they have a boat of their own that can make it to Rupert, I don’t see it happening.[/quote]

They have to shop somewhere, and rupert is the closest place to them… They also have to ship it back to the villages somehow. Prince Rupet has more than enough surrounding population to support a Canadian Tire right now. Smithers is a prime example. It population base is less than 15,000 people, where as Prince Rupert would have a popluation base of 25,000.

If you talk to the Canadian Tire people, they will acknowledge that opening a store in Smithers has hurt their Terrace store.

Having a Canadian Tire here sounds like a bad idea on their part. Their Terrace outlet got pretty screwed over by WalMart. Also, if WalMart comes to Rupert it’ll screw over our own small businesses.

At least it may keep some money in town. Rupert small businesses are already losing out to the big stores in Terrace. Its one of those situations where were damned if we do and damned if we don’t. It may just be the price of progress. I’ll be the first to admit that I do shop in Terrace. Actually bought a plumbing fixture by mail, from Canadian Tire because I couldnt find one in town.

This kind of comment always gets me wondering what people are thinking. Walmart is just another Zellers. They both sell low end products to people who care about price over quality. You don’t hear people complaining about Zellers, but over and over I hear how Walmart will kill local business. As far as I’m concerned the only shop that should fear Walmart coming here IS Zellers, and I have no pitty for them. Zellers has always treated the Prince Rupert store like crap.

There was a great article in Mcleans about Walmart recently that debunked a lot of the myth’s like the one that it kills local business.

Mike

[quote=“CrazyMike”]

This kind of comment always gets me wondering what people are thinking. Walmart is just another Zellers. They both sell low end products to people who care about price over quality. You don’t hear people complaining about Zellers, but over and over I hear how Walmart will kill local business. As far as I’m concerned the only shop that should fear Walmart coming here IS Zellers, and I have no pitty for them. Zellers has always treated the Prince Rupert store like crap.

There was a great article in Mcleans about Walmart recently that debunked a lot of the myth’s like the one that it kills local business.

Mike[/quote]

I agree Zellers in Rupert is crap, what a difference in Terrace more product and such, i go to Zellers for only a few things DVD’s and video Games now the new sony PSP stock they have at out local Zellers sucks ass, I have to go to terrace to buy PSP movies and games couse they just dont have or carry what I want. no selection, Also I miss SAANS, I bought all my kids stuff there the price was right and it lasted long. Zellers is overly priced but good quality. but my boy is young and out grows his stuff fast…lol… I dont think A wallmart would kill local buisness it might like Mike said hurt Zellers but then maybe Zellers would start treating its customers more better by offering more products.

Tell me one store other than zellars that would compete with Walmart. I can’t think of one. On top of that, there really arent any stores at all in Prince Rupert. Everything closed down… the only stores in town are tourist related or necessity stores, the bare minimum to keep a town operational. Also, how many people would Walmart put to work, who would otherwise sit on their asses at home collecting welfare or draining their parents wallets. Those people would now have jobs, and would be able to spend money around town. Where in this town is their a Toy store?..

That is what we need in this town is an honest to goodness toy store. Kids pretty much have to go to Zeller’s for toys, and that sucks.

so true … a kids toy store but dont forget about the big boy toy stores too.

I love remote controll airplanes and cars. I have a unfinished Plane in my living room, needs motor, servos, and remote I gave my old one’s away.

Me and my boy built a rocket and fired it a few times would like to buy a bigger one. the look on his eyes when he got to push the big red button “PRICELESS”

Ok, someone get moving on bringing in a ToysRus!

Hell no! I have enough trouble getting my daughter out of the toy section in Zellers…Toys 'R Us would be like… :open_mouth: …10 times worse…

Look at the top of your bill sometime. The reason our Zellers sucks is because it’s a “Zellers Select” - that’s company newspeak for “we dump all the crap on you we can’t sell at our other stores.”

Our Zellers store was crap LONG before it became a “Zellers Select”. I used to work in the stock room many many years ago. We really have one main reason for the suckage: Management. Our Zellers has always been just a dumping ground for managers in training. They come in here knowing that they are not going to be around long so why take pride in the place. Just do what you have to and get moved up the ladder.

This is why I don’t fear a Walmart coming here. Every store I’ve been in maintains the same stock lines and each store looks like someone is actually paying attention to it.

Mike

Our Zeller’s is a Zeller’s Select? Like the one in Smithers? Same old classic Zeller’s flavour…just one calorie.

I’ve been in the one in Smithers. That actually seems like a lesser version of Zeller’s. Ours doesn’t. At least not to me.

[quote=“Astrothug”]so true … a kids toy store but dont forget about the big boy toy stores too.

I love remote controll airplanes and cars. I have a unfinished Plane in my living room, needs motor, servos, and remote I gave my old one’s away.

Me and my boy built a rocket and fired it a few times would like to buy a bigger one. the look on his eyes when he got to push the big red button “PRICELESS”[/quote]

Two words: Internet Shopping!

[quote=“HotmailDOTCom”]I just want to stress that Zellers in Prince Rupert is NOT a Zellers Select.

There are only 2 Zellers Select stores in British Columbia (1 in Dawson Creek and 1 Smithers) ALL other Zellers in BC are regular Zellers INCLUDING the one here in Rupert (I called them to find out AND I checked their official website).[/quote]

It still sucks NO dout about it I just came back from Wall mart to buy psp movies they have over 40 movies for it plus ever single game. prince rupert has 2 movies and about 6 games… ZELLERS suck dead donky dick.

:imp:

Are there no other stores in town that sell PSP stuff? I remember East Wind and Audio Vision used to have pretty good selection, though Audio Vision’s owner was a bit tough to deal with. What about now?