Microsoft Unveils Windows Phone 7 Lineup

Windows 7 smart phones…

[quote] NEW YORK (Dow Jones)–Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) lifted the curtain on a line-up of smartphones using its revamped Windows Phone 7 mobile operating system, the software giant’s boldest move to remain a player in the increasingly cutthroat mobile business.

Microsoft unveiled seven handsets planned for its global launch. Marquee partner AT&T Inc. (T) showed off three of the devices, the Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. (005930.SE, SSNHY) Focus, the LG Electronics Inc. (066570.SE) Quantum, and the HTC Corp. (2498. TW, HTCXF) Surround, which are priced at $199.99 with a two-year service contract. They will go on sale during the week of Nov. 8.

T-Mobile USA, which will launch its phones after AT&T, is scheduled to show off its own Windows Phone 7 device later Monday. T-Mobile plans to launch its Windows HD7 device in mid-November.

The wildly different software and ambitious launch–which featured Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Balmer and AT&T Wireless chief Ralph de la Vega touting the devices–underscores the lengths in which Microsoft has to go to convince consumers that its smartphone is worth taking a chance on. The company is essentially starting over with an entirely new platform.

“The phones are always delightful, and wonderfully mine,” Balmer said during the event, adding, “This is a different kind of phone.” [/quote]

Microsoft Unveils Windows Phone 7 Lineup

Gruber’s take on the event: daringfireball.net/linked/2010/1 … t-language

“But it just sounds like bullshit.”

And Gruber really liked the Windows Phone 7 demo unit he tried.

LMAO. Yeah, I doubt Steve Jobs is losing any sleep over this. :smile:

I think what Microsoft needs to do is let the Xbox team build a phone, with no interference from the rest of the company, and with a big barrel of cash to spend.

The whole Xbox division is only successful because they gave it a lot of money and time, and didn’t interfere. Even now, when it has been successful in a market that Microsoft couldn’t force people to use it (by leveraging Windows and Office), it isn’t a big money maker.

Imagine if they had let the rest of Microsoft influence the Xbox development: shock you can’t have people use Apple computers to develop on a Microsoft Xbox – change that now! And what’s with the name Xbox? That’s not “business” enough – let’s call it the Windows 8 Gaming Box, or the Microsoft Office Television Box. And it should run Windows.

So fingers crossed that they keep their noses out of Windows Phone 7, and let it be successful. But judging by the name of the thing, maybe that’s too late.

Do you still wish to call 9-1-1 once Windows finishes updating and rebooting?
YES NO

Yeah, see, that’s what happens when you put Windows in the name. All those jokes.

Microsoft makes Ford Sync system, which is decent. I wonder why they don’t call it Windows Car System? For the same reason they shouldn’t have called this phone a “Windows” phone.

[quote=“MiG”]Yeah, see, that’s what happens when you put Windows in the name. All those jokes.
[/quote]

“Your phone has stopped working. Would you like to send an error report to Windows? Connection denied.” :smile:

please wait while we make your call, your phone has just encountered a error we cannot resolve, would you like to submit this problem ?

Meh.

Samsung’s Windows Phone 7 Packs Intuitive, Visual Punch

I agree that putting the Windows brand on everything adds a stain that even the newer of the newest Tide ever will never be able to remove!

I hate the fact that this company seems to assume that computer users are really stupid. I mean is their anyone who actually likes all the pop up windows asking you all kinds of questions in every msoft programs? That paperclip thingie that was in Word probably gave someone nightmares!
I installed Messenger on my work laptop (hp) and the frigging thing started to launch automatically at start up. Why do they do this? Serenity now!

[quote=“BigThumb”]I agree that putting the Windows brand on everything adds a stain that even the newer of the newest Tide ever will never be able to remove!

I hate the fact that this company seems to assume that computer users are really stupid. I mean is their anyone who actually likes all the pop up windows asking you all kinds of questions in every msoft programs? That paperclip thingie that was in Word probably gave someone nightmares!
I installed Messenger on my work laptop (hp) and the frigging thing started to launch automatically at start up. Why do they do this? Serenity now![/quote]

AHEM, if you were paying attention when installing it you would have noticed the question " would like to have this run at startup ?"

Are you one of those person who just clicks next till it’s done ?

[quote=“jase”]

[quote=“BigThumb”]I agree that putting the Windows brand on everything adds a stain that even the newer of the newest Tide ever will never be able to remove!

I installed Messenger on my work laptop (hp) and the frigging thing started to launch automatically at start up. Why do they do this? Serenity now![/quote]

AHEM, if you were paying attention when installing it you would have noticed the question " would like to have this run at startup ?"

Are you one of those person who just clicks next till it’s done ?[/quote]

Well Jase, it’s the fact that they set it up as a default that I find exasperating. I fixed it but why did they set it up like that in the first place?

I know you like to make fun of me when it comes to computer knowledge and I’m ok with that because you are right: if I compare myself to you, I know nothing about the stuff. We all have shortcomings and some of us find ways to deal with them by pointing out how stupid other people are while others choose to avoid doing that very same thing and stay civil. I try my best to do the latter but I can’t say the same about you.

[quote=“BigThumb”]

Are you one of those person who just clicks next till it’s done ?

Well Jase, it’s the fact that they set it up as a default that I find exasperating. I fixed it but why did they set it up like that in the first place?

I know you like to make fun of me when it comes to computer knowledge and I’m ok with that because you are right: if I compare myself to you, I know nothing about the stuff. We all have shortcomings and some of us find ways to deal with them by pointing out how stupid other people are while others choose to avoid doing that very same thing and stay civil. I try my best to do the latter but I can’t say the same about you.[/quote]

Never said you were not good with computers, i just asked were you the type who just clicks next to get through the install ?

msn isn’s just a program, its a service, most people who want it installed use it 24/7 typically kid’s, so having it startup and automatically log in is key for them.

I hate MSN messenger tho, its a cpu / resource hog. I use pidgin, it’s a great program, and it allows you to run multiple clients all in one.

Well I hate MSN too but I had to install it because I needed a way to connect my cousin with his family through webcams. He had an accident that caused him to be temporarily paralysed and he was sent to the rehab center near my home. His brother ( older than me, heavy Messenger user and not much else) asked me to do install this so that when I visit the center, we can have a live session on the webcam with his mother and the rest of his family who live four hours drive away. At least it has a good purpose for the time being. But as soon as my cousin gets better and leaves the center, my messenger usage will dwindle down to zero!
And yes, maybe I just clicked next when I installed the darn thing cause I hate pop-up windows from that company and my automatic reflex is to go through them as fast as I can.

Any way, lets move on and get back to the the Windows Phone 7 sucks stuff…
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jezebel/2010/10/moveoncooney.gif

Also,

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/76069/avatars/itcrowd1.gif

See, non-soccer animated gif power!

[quote=“BigThumb”].
Any way, lets move on and get back to the the Windows Phone 7 sucks stuff…
[/quote]

Amen. :smile:
What I want to know is if this is Winders 7 will these phones have a software Tuesday like I do on my one XP Pro partition? I can see it now…you are in the middle of a call and a message pops up.
“Windows has finished installing 27 updates…would you like to re-start your phone now or in 10 minutes?” lol

[quote=“hitest”]

LMAO. Yeah, I doubt Steve Jobs is losing any sleep over this. :smile:[/quote]

I can hardly believe the sudden outbreak of iPhone 4 users at the company I work for. It seems every 2nd or 3rd person has one, and if they don’t have an iPhone 4 they have an iPhone 3. The last Apple product I bought was a a third gen iPod that I still use it everyday, with Ford Sync, which itself is a suprisingly excellent system. I’m skeptical that Windows Phone 7 will be any good. Any handheld Microsoft branded device I’ve used in the past has been horrid. That said, RIM isn’t at all keeping up with any of the big players such as HTC, Samsung, Apple, etc. I wouldn’t be suprised if a lot of RIM users jump ship for what would logically be the best-fit replacement for Buisiness use. I recently turfed my Crackberry for an HTC Desire, running Android. For me the Android OS is top dog, even over iOS, or whatever it’s called. Windows Phone 7 is going to need to be very, very good, with an immediately comparible App-Store to persuade me to switch.

The Windows Phone 7 HTC lineup looks incredible. I havn’t looked at what Samsung has in the works yet, but it might be the closest thing to an iPhone killer yet, so long as the OS isn’t a piece of crap.

INSERT INTO Jokes (Windows Phone 7, Genuine Activation Tool, Angry Birds)
VALUES (Not Authenticated, Unable to install updates at this time, Requires WGA)

I can’t believe how easy it is for a non-technical person to use FaceTime. That will sell a lot of phones – it already has, I guess.

I think Phone 7 will be more successful if the Windows and Office people don’t mess with it. Every time they get involved in new products, they just make them suck. But there are lots of examples where Microsoft has made good stuff without Windows or Office involvement.

But the name… oh man, that’s just inviting jokes.

oh no’s my phone 7 just sent all my contacts a virus! FUKIE!