Microsoft Trying To Be Funny

Hey guys what’s sup, so I’m trying to update the old Windows Movie Maker that came pre-installed with my Windows XP, only to find out that what was actually labeled “Compatible” with XP from microsoft, actually isn’t.
Screeny to show you what I mean -

maybe you should get a better Microsoft version or perhaps upgrade to a mac.

I vote buy a mac!

Computing isn’t compatible with Windows XP.

neither is surfing the interwebz!

Had a customer ask why she should even consider a used Linux laptop. Told her it still had the XP sticker on it, so she could put XP on it if she wanted to ruin it.
Then I flicked on the cafe computers in the front of the shop.
MS has finished updating and will reboot in…
Flash Player update…
Adobe Reader update…
Program someone installed awaiting admin password…
XP has encountered and error do you wish to report it

Six fucking machines, not one actually usable until you did something else first.

Flipped on the laptop. There you go, use it.
See the blinking icon? There’s some updates you can install when YOU choose to.

I have a really nice Win7Pro laptop I got last Christmas. Haven’t even turned it on ten times yet. When I get home, I don’t wanna see Windows any more.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Had a customer ask why she should even consider a used Linux laptop. Told her it still had the XP sticker on it, so she could put XP on it if she wanted to ruin it.
Then I flicked on the cafe computers in the front of the shop.
MS has finished updating and will reboot in…
Flash Player update…
Adobe Reader update…
Program someone installed awaiting admin password…
XP has encountered and error do you wish to report it

Six fucking machines, not one actually usable until you did something else first.

Flipped on the laptop. There you go, use it.
See the blinking icon? There’s some updates you can install when YOU choose to.

I have a really nice Win7Pro laptop I got last Christmas. Haven’t even turned it on ten times yet. When I get home, I don’t wanna see Windows any more.[/quote]

Ubuntu right ?

My friend and his gf & 6 year old kid were converted to Ubuntu on a Dell Celleron 2.5 with 2gigs of ram about a year ish ago, yet the other day i went over there and the laptop is still running fine no viruses or spyware or problems. A year before all this i gave it ohh about 3 months at each time i had to re-format it and do fresh installs of vista because they “REALLY” fucked it up every few weeks.

I use MS at work, it runs okay. Yep. I’m like you, herbie. At my house I prefer to run Linux and I occasionally administer my daughter’s macbook. However, I’ve given her root access on her laptop and she does a good job keeping the unit patched. Much less effort to keep *nix units secure:)

‘just upgraded to ubuntu 10.10 and lovin’ it. So much free software available. See ya’ windows!

I don’t see a reason to upgrade this xp machine.
Now I know you guys think I’m crazy, just to let you know I also run Win7 & Linux on my other rigs.
This XP machine works just fine, aside from the occasional movie edit that I do on it (the reason I posted the original message).

Sure. If it runs well, then leave well enough alone. I run one XP Pro SP3 partition on one of my Slackware boxes(use it for itunes mostly).

It was time that I used a different OS…

Considering I got the Six Core CPU with 4GB of DDR3 RAM, Kinda stoked… Heh :smiley:

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/3348/win71055t4gbram.jpg
My score is a bit low because I’m using a slightly aged SATA hard drive for the OS drive. If it drives me crazy enough I’ll go out and buy a brand new 1TB drive, they’re only like $50 now anyways.

4gigs of ram that’s it ? put more in :smile: and buy a nice wd black edition drive :smile: OR a ssd if you can afford it, then you will see a difference :smile:

Yeah definitely, I think I’ll be getting an SSD

My i7 laptop booted Ubuntu 10.10 64Bit in 6 seconds to the desktop.

That’s speed man, oh and I’ll definitely be putting more RAM in as I need to run virtual machines for school. Thinking of putting an ubuntu partition on here also. I really need to find out which Harddrive I’ll be switching to, while the SSD would be nice I think I may go with a 1TB Seagate (but IDK so …)

1tb is lots, i would just run windows 7 64 bit, then run a few VM’s thats what i did and it ran perfect.

The more ram you can stuff into that box, the better.

Speaking of ram, i think my 32gig kit will arrive this week :smile: and my Xeon ships out next week :smile: