Meet the candidates for Prince Rupert mayor

The Prince Rupert Northern View offered all three candidates for Mayor the opportunity to submit a profile for publication, capped at 350 words.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 43263.html

I won’t be voting this year same old, same old…

Cornia is a new face but not worth the trip to vote and the others are as stated above…

[quote=“jamesbrown”]I won’t be voting this year same old, same old…

Cornia is a new face but not worth the trip to vote and the others are as stated above…[/quote]

You can still vote for council and school board. And if it is still not worth the trip, then you can register your disapproval by spoiling your ballot.

All of us should put in the effort to get out and vote.

If you don’t exercise your democratic right/responsibility, democracy dies a little more by that disuse.

As does the credibility of any complaints that may be made about those who are elected.

The one thing that I can say that I am sicking of hearing is how many years experience Jack has in Municipal Government. If memory serves me, Jack was a City Clerk who was replaced by Patti Sawka within weeks after Mac the knife came to the community to clean up some of the dead weight from City Hall. Jack made his statement shortly thereafter by running for Mayor. I didn’t see much from his first reign, and I sure haven’t seen much from him this past three years, other than insulting people who do not share his opinion!

We need to move our community forward, and I don’t see Jack capable of doing that! We have to start thinking and acting outside of the box, we are a community in transition, and we need to work closely with all the stakeholder to ensure the long term sustainability. We have to rid ourselves of this “good old boys” approach, and set our goals and objectives higher. We need to stop looking at pettily residential tax increases, and target those who can afford to pay their fair share.

Most of all, we need a Council who considers the taxpayers and non taxpayers alike, as being relevant and the key to our overall success!

I do not believe that Jack measures up to any of our standards, and my vote will go to Corina. A new face may just be what the doctor ordered.

Even though Jacks the only one with balls, I think I will vote for
Corina as well.

LOL

Good Morning and I do apologize for not logging on sooner. In preparation for taking time off work for the campaign, I was 100% dedicated and committed to completing all the necessary work before having the opportunity to campaign. However; I did come down with an awful flu bug that had delayed my involvement in campaigning. I know that many people have been wondering who I am and what I bring to the table as a candidate for mayor.

Just as a brief introduction, my name is Corinna Morhart and I have lived in Northwestern BC most of my life. I am proud to be of both Tsimshian and European ancestry. I believe that Leadership is about serving the people and having very good communication skills. It is about sharing a vision and working together to make it happen. It’s about making people believe in that vision. It’s not about how many years you have on the job; it’s about what you can do on the job and being an Ambassador for all community members who are proud of a positive representation of the community they represent. I am willing to put forth the hard work, dedication and commitment to improving the Quality of Life for all the people in Prince Rupert.

I do have an extensive skill set to offer to the office of Mayor. True leaders have the ability to be accessible and listen to the people they represent. A true leader is proactive vs. reactive and planning for the best interest of all those they serve. I know I have what it takes to be the leader of our community. I am passionate about social issues (education & health); the environment (ensuring a healthy environment now and for future generations); and economic issues (ensuring opportunities not only for the business sector, but for all individuals). I also believe that it is time that City Council starts working together as a team and begin listening to what the people of Prince Rupert have to say and making informed decisions with all the information.

Since moving here almost 10 years ago I have been heavily involved in the community, and was directly involved in drafting our Official Community Plan. I keep myself informed on the issues and regularly attend council meetings, regional district meetings and community information sessions. I have been involved with the Prince Rupert Environmental Society, Civic Pride clean ups, the Local Health Advisory Committee, and was on the board of governors for Northwest Community College. I have 21 years experience in the retail/service industry, 5 years experience in the Real Estate Industry, and most recently have been employed for the last several years by the Ministry of Children and Family Development as a Social Worker, after going back to school and earning a Bachelor Degree in Social Work from the University of Northern British Columbia on the Prince Rupert Campus.

To find out more details about me, my vision for Prince Rupert, and what I have to offer as a candidate, please go to my website: cmorhart@citytel.net or phone me at 250-627-5339 if you would like to contact me with questions or comments. There is much I know I need to learn and I am willing to put forth the time and energy to do so. I am willing to meet you in person to discuss your concerns and I will continue to have an open door policy. Please do not hesitate to contact me, I do return calls and emails as soon as time permits.

I appreciate your taking the time to get to know me and my ideas for Prince Rupert. I hope I can count on your support on Nov. 19th. You have a Choice; Your Vote will make a Difference. Please join me in making our vision for Prince Rupert a reality. Vote MORHART FOR MAYOR.

Hi Corinna M.
Than you for believing in our place in the scheme of things.
Can you answer me/us some more specific questions:

1. what do you think of the occupancy movement

2. what is your stance on farm salmon

3. what do you think would benefit Prince Rupert development wise

I’ve looked at Ms Morhart’s website. I like her views about the need for more open government.

With the notable exception of councillor Ashley (one or two others seem supportive but are less vocal) this council seems to have convinced itself that a large part of its business should be conducted without the public being present. It comes across as a well established habit.

As a council member from another town said on the CBC the other day, closed sessions are mostly to discuss the “3 Ls, labour, land and legal”. This council seems to go well beyond that.

Here’s in example. The council can close a meeting to have discussions with employees “for the purposes of preparing an annual report”, which must be made public by June 30 of each year. The council presented its report on June 27. They accepted the report on July 25 after giving the public an opportunity to comment, which is also required.

Then on September 6 they held a closed meeting to “for the purposes of preparing an annual report”. Why was that? Seems a bit early to be talking about the 2011 report.

Sometimes listening to what limited discussion there is in public council meetings I get the impression that the council has already discussed the topic and made up their minds beforehand. The budget is a case in point. There are surprisingly few questions or comments from the counci members for such an important topic.

Anyway, here’s an excerpt from Ms Morhart’s web site on the question of closed meetings and the need for a change in “mentality”:

“The other area where more communication is needed is regarding closed meetings. We need to change the mentality of city hall… when they must be held, as much information as possible needs to be provided to people as to what is being discussed and the decisions that are being made as soon as possible. I certainly understand the nature of confidentiality; it is a fundamental part of my job as a social worker… Confidentiality does not mean you keep people in the dark about everything. It is time that council remembers who they are working for and who they are accountable to.”

[quote=“BTravenn”]I’ve looked at Ms Morhart’s website. I like her views about the need for more open government.

With the notable exception of councillor Ashley (one or two others seem supportive but are less vocal) this council seems to have convinced itself that a large part of its business should be conducted without the public being present. It comes across as a well established habit.

As a council member from another town said on the CBC the other day, closed sessions are mostly to discuss the “3 Ls, labour, land and legal”. This council seems to go well beyond that.

Here’s in example. The council can close a meeting to have discussions with employees “for the purposes of preparing an annual report”, which must be made public by June 30 of each year. The council presented its report on June 27. They accepted the report on July 25 after giving the public an opportunity to comment, which is also required.

Then on September 6 they held a closed meeting to “for the purposes of preparing an annual report”. Why was that? Seems a bit early to be talking about the 2011 report.

Sometimes listening to what limited discussion there is in public council meetings I get the impression that the council has already discussed the topic and made up their minds beforehand. The budget is a case in point. There are surprisingly few questions or comments from the counci members for such an important topic.

Anyway, here’s an excerpt from Ms Morhart’s web site on the question of closed meetings and the need for a change in “mentality”:

“The other area where more communication is needed is regarding closed meetings. We need to change the mentality of city hall… when they must be held, as much information as possible needs to be provided to people as to what is being discussed and the decisions that are being made as soon as possible. I certainly understand the nature of confidentiality; it is a fundamental part of my job as a social worker… Confidentiality does not mean you keep people in the dark about everything. It is time that council remembers who they are working for and who they are accountable to.”[/quote]

In my experience, the tone of any organization is set by it’s leader. In the case of City Hall, I suspect that the trend to closed door sessions flows straight from Mad Jack. Frankly his much vaunted experience in civic government is more of a liabilty to Rupert than an asset to be bragging about. He has spent his career in the insular and protected environment of our CIty Hall which is hardly an example of a well run organization. The lack of accountability that has existed for decades in our local civic government leads people that have spent much time there to believe that that is the natural order of things and they are above being questioned or held to account.

One needs to look no further than his emotional, rude and ill thought out reactions to a local reporter, our recycling advocate and of course closed council meetings. Jack unfortunately seems to think democracy is a good thing except for the citizen’s right to know.

Thank you bmj9 for your questions.

1. what do you think of the occupancy movement
    My personal opinion of the occupancy movement: I am grateful we live in a country that people can stand up for what they believe in. In this case, the message is directed to governments to understand we have a problem. Taxation is necessary for our governments to provide the services and infrastructure to the people. Tax breaks for major corporations who are making huge profits, need to understand that is not fair. Some small businesses are taking risks to their personal financial situation to set up a business they believe their community will benefit from (whether it is in the retail/service or industrial). I am unaware of tax breaks for them (and may be corrected), but in our community I see some small businesses struggling financially because they believe and have worked hard to keep their business alive and enjoy giving the service to the community. In other situations we have seen many small businesses just close shop and some have just moved out of town.

2. what is your stance on farm salmon
    I attended a Tsimshian Gathering when there was a Tsimshian Tribal Council back in 2001 here in Prince Rupert, an elder got up and spoke: “If God wanted the Atlantic Salmon in the Pacific Ocean, He would have put them here in the first place.” When man plays with nature and tries to alter the balance, there are consequences. We may not see it now, but in time there could be a problem. I had the opportunity this summer with my Granddaughter Eva (5 yrs), I took her to the fish hatchery on the day they released the smolts and it was an awesome experience (children, parents and some grandparents), shared a special moment to see the next generation released. Eva received a poster of the life cycle of the salmon and has it posted up. When I was cleaning some salmon for preparation of canning, she was there and asked about the fish eggs. “Nana, can we put the eggs in water and get some more fish?” Of course we know that is not as simple, but her understanding of the beginning of the life cycle was very real.

3. what do you think would benefit Prince Rupert development wise
    I would like to see more development in our community. Senior housing has been a huge concern for many years. Working on the Quality of Life Official Community Plan, the 2006 census indicated that at that time, Prince Rupert had 1400 people living in our community 65+ years old. There are many seniors who live in their own homes alone and are not ready to move into the Manor. Choices are very limited here in Prince Rupert. Looking at Terrace, they continue to have more availability, in fact, Prince Rupert put in 10 units (Seniors & Assisted Living) in the BC Housing (of course this is for lower income). Terrace on the other hand, the city donated land and they put in another 24 units. Is there more we can do? I believe we can, but we have to be willing to listen to the people and be able to connect with those developers and ask why they are not willing to come to Prince Rupert. As Mayor, it is my hope that we will have members of the community representatives who are willing to work together and improve many areas of the needs of the community.
    Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, I will be more than willing to meet with you in person and talk about your ideas and concerns. Thank you.