Mayoral candidate Lee Brain's inspiring speech!

[quote=“jamesbrown”]

I am starting to have a change of heart regarding Lee as much as I still wish he was running for a Councillor, change may be good … I still expect that Jack will return but not as sure as i once was given 4 candidates and the split that will create. Lee is the only candidate that speaks of the rental crisis and his connection to Jennifer Rice may be good as she is just learning as well so they can both assist each other to some extent.[/quote]

I agree with you on a lot of things and appreciate that more than others here you’re inclined to see the best in people, but I don’t think that it is the job of a Mayor to form a support group with a rookie MLA to try to make up for their respective skills and experience deficiencies. Besides, Ms Rice’s daytimer seems to be pretty full with many events to attend, at least judging by the photo collection on her twitter feed.

Among other things, the Mayor and council have a public works department to run that provides essential services that people generally take for granted, until there is a boil water advisory. In terms of aging infrastructure Rupert is in a situation that should be cause for grave concern.

Housing has been on the agenda at recent council meetings. North Coast Review posted an overview this morning: < northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … y-for.html >. The Province has committed to some additional social housing units, which is good.

Housing shortages, high rents and renovictions are important issues, no doubt about it. But what is a City government supposed to do about those issues, not generally, but specifically? And where does the money come from and at what cost to other services, including those that residents take for granted?

I have no doubt that some landlords seeking higher rents abuse tenant rights, but the Province has a complaints process that works pretty well if tenants bother to go to Service BC and pick up an information package or talk to an officer. Should the City be funding advisory services, for instance, to augment the Residential Tenancy Branch?

Should the City build social housing units? The Mayor of Vancouver is talking about building 4000 units, but they have an enormous tax base. Rupert apparently cannot even afford to spend $10-15K to hold a referendum on financing upgrades to the police station.

Cities can use a variety of planning powers to encourage changes in property markets, such as by requiring that housing developments include so many family units, and allowing smaller lot sizes and lane access to new housing. That is all contingent, though, on there being new housing development, but there isn’t much of that in Rupert. It has a lot of fixer-uppers from when the population was much larger.

All too often the Mayor and council preoccupy themselves with important issues that they really have no control over. At a recent meeting they were talking about efforts to boost the minimum wage. Important? Yes. Something that a municipal government should be spending time and resources on? No. The same could be said about their inclination to act like an environmental review board for proposed projects outside City limits. Sometimes they even seem to think that they can influence fisheries policies.

Housing is an important issue, no doubt about it. But if making rental housing more affordable becomes a major campaign issue, be sure to ask the candidate what they plan to do about it, and ask for specifics.

Have to agree that I dont want the 4 years as a training grounds, but I am getting tired of same old so honestly not sure who to vote for. So a part of me still wishes Lee would run for concillor …

With Sheila the union issues at the hospital will affect her count but I think someone managing a hospital’s budget very good abllity to run a city’s budget? People often put personal feelings ahead of abilities of canadiates. It is going to be a most interesting if not fun race to watch. The labour issues at the hosptal would make me nervous wih the city departments though.

I am a bit of a fence sitter on this election

Btravenn is right on the money!

Prince Rupert council does NOT have the luxury of seriously addressing social housing issues…there is no money and taxpayers will NOT accept another tax increase to address an issue that is the responsibility of our provincial government and MLA Jennifer Rice.

The city needs to focus on their essential services (roads, water, sewer, garbage, recreation ect) and ensure those services are the #1 priority and the only way to achieve that is through selling the city of Prince Rupert to industry and grow our tax base in anyway we can…that is the job of municipal government and it is time that they start focusing on what they are truly elected to do. We are not here to listen to what they believe is right or wrong or what they feel personally needs fixing.

The infrastructure issues (and their eventual total failure if we do nothing to fix them), will affect a far larger number of people in this city than the social housing issue is.

The welcome mat needs to be FIRMLY put down by council to anyone looking to invest here…as that will equal taxes and will provide tax relief to commercial and residential taxpayers who have been shouldering the burden of lost industry tax.

Look no further than the botched PTI Group issue…council thumbed their nose at this huge investment. Now that investment will be in Port Edward and that council will have that property tax in their coffers…while Prince Rupert council continues to come out looking like total and utter fools.

okay lets use the taxes to pay for the increase in crime with this boom… its something that has to be paid for regardless increased costs of RCMP

City Councill has many interesting challenges ahead and in recent years Joy was the only one that impressed me. Somtimes i wish she’e run for mayor and have Lee as a councillor.

I will vote for Mirau young people should be given every opportunity to be councillors

[quote=“jamesbrown”]okay lets use the taxes to pay for the increase in crime with this boom… its something that has to be paid for regardless increased costs of RCMP

City Councill has many interesting challenges ahead and in recent years Joy was the only one that impressed me. Somtimes i wish she’e run for mayor and have Lee as a councillor.

I will vote for Mirau young people should be given every opportunity to be councillors[/quote]

Joy as mayor would literally be one of the worst case scenarios…she is WAY to radical in her views. She meddles her way into topics she has not even the SLIGHTEST clue about what she is talking about.

I truly hope that she is not running again and if she is…I hope she does not make it in again. She is the WORST on council by a mile.

[quote=“bthedog”]

[quote=“jamesbrown”]okay lets use the taxes to pay for the increase in crime with this boom… its something that has to be paid for regardless increased costs of RCMP

I will vote for Mirau young people should be given every opportunity to be councillors[/quote]

Joy as mayor would literally be one of the worst case scenarios…she is WAY to radical in her views. She meddles her way into topics she has not even the SLIGHTEST clue about what she is talking about.

I truly hope that she is not running again and if she is…I hope she does not make it in again. She is the WORST on council by a mile.[/quote]

She is one of the few polictions that operates as a real person and I am inclined to believe that Lee is the same but it seems that doesn’t count hidden agendas and secreracy seem to be what people vote for…

Can I ask who you would support as Mayor as i am still fence sitting on the issue

[quote=“BTravenn”]

That is good to see. I do not know Blair, but I have been following his campaign on his very polished web site < blairmirau.ca/ >.

He’s a young energetic guy who has been hitting the pavement to meet constituents, including seniors (hopefully he’ll meet DWhite during one of those get-togethers).

He has a solid education (degree from University of Winnipeg) and is working on a project management qualification. He’s been working with small businesses with positive results, is a Chamber of Commerce director and has first nations experience.

Unlike everyone else that is running (at least so far) he has a clear platform and he provides specifics.

It would be good to see Blair Mirau on the City council. Perhaps that would also help encourage greater participation by young people further to what DWhite has been talking about.[/quote]

I totally agree about this. Mirau’s campaign is the most impressive so far.

[quote=“bthedog”]Btravenn is right on the money!

Prince Rupert council does NOT have the luxury of seriously addressing social housing issues…there is no money and taxpayers will NOT accept another tax increase to address an issue that is the responsibility of our provincial government and MLA Jennifer Rice.

The city needs to focus on their essential services (roads, water, sewer, garbage, recreation ect) and ensure those services are the #1 priority and the only way to achieve that is through selling the city of Prince Rupert to industry and grow our tax base in anyway we can…that is the job of municipal government and it is time that they start focusing on what they are truly elected to do. We are not here to listen to what they believe is right or wrong or what they feel personally needs fixing.

The infrastructure issues (and their eventual total failure if we do nothing to fix them), will affect a far larger number of people in this city than the social housing issue is.

The welcome mat needs to be FIRMLY put down by council to anyone looking to invest here…as that will equal taxes and will provide tax relief to commercial and residential taxpayers who have been shouldering the burden of lost industry tax.

Look no further than the botched PTI Group issue…council thumbed their nose at this huge investment. Now that investment will be in Port Edward and that council will have that property tax in their coffers…while Prince Rupert council continues to come out looking like total and utter fools.[/quote]

Prince Rupert and other communities do not have the luxury of ignoring it either. You seem to want to gloss over the fact that the province is unwilling to provide safe housing for the poor. It has totally downloaded it on other municpalities. If both Terrace and Kitimat see it as an issue that must be addressed at the municipal level, then it is clear that Prince Rupert is in no place to ignore it.

The City won’t be building it on their own anyhow. It would be a developers tax, with $$ accrued from that to put towards a partnership with other agencies to build – but not operate – social housing. It’s the right thing to do.

And none of this has to be done until an LNG project comes on line. But don’t ignore that is a problem that has been placed squarely in to the municipal responsibility. People living in small towns rarely have the “luxury” to ignore social ills.

[quote=“TerriblePerson”]

[quote=“bthedog”]Btravenn is right on the money!

Look no further than the botched PTI Group issue…council thumbed their nose at this huge investment. Now that investment will be in Port Edward and that council will have that property tax in their coffers…while Prince Rupert council continues to come out looking like total and utter fools.[/quote]

Prince Rupert and other communities do not have the luxury of ignoring it either. You seem to want to gloss over the fact that the province is unwilling to provide safe housing for the poor. It has totally downloaded it on other municpalities. If both Terrace and Kitimat see it as an issue that must be addressed at the municipal level, then it is clear that Prince Rupert is in no place to ignore it.

The City won’t be building it on their own anyhow. It would be a developers tax, with $$ accrued from that to put towards a partnership with other agencies to build – but not operate – social housing. It’s the right thing to do.

And none of this has to be done until an LNG project comes on line. But don’t ignore that is a problem that has been placed squarely in to the municipal responsibility. People living in small towns rarely have the “luxury” to ignore social ills.[/quote]

I am not glossing over the issue and I am not denying that it is a problem and exists in this city. That being said, I still do NOT agree that the city should be financially responsible for fixing it. And you say the government has done nothing, but that is just not true, they just approved an additional 20 social housing units for Prince Rupert. This will not fix the problem completely, but it will help and at least the government has responded in some capacity.

Furthermore, the issue of social housing and issues surrounding it have existed in this city for decades…this is not a new problem and it is not something that will ever go away.

I am not against the city advocating for it or continually applying pressure to the provincial government to address it…but the city is not responsible for this problem and is not something they can fix or financially address.

Your idea of a developers tax is ludicrous and something that i STRONGLY STRONGLY oppose. An “add on” tax would kill MANY developments and highly discourage commercial/industrial activity on city land. Why would any business try to locate here if they knew they had to pay a developers tax on top of everything else? Social housing problems are NOT the responsibility of the private sector to fix and they should not be financially burdened for it either (no matter HOW much money they have). The city needs to ATTRACT business for tax purposes not scare it away with more taxes and red tape. A development tax will NOT fix this problem…it will only amplify it.

I also do not think landlords should be berated for trying to make the most out of their investments.

The city can’t be responsible for social housing, they’re too busy spending money improving the TV and Internet service for Terrace and Kitimat residents! That’s definitely something everyone agrees they should be doing, right?

[quote=“jamesbrown”]

I truly hope that she is not running again and if she is…I hope she does not make it in again. She is the WORST on council by a mile.

She is one of the few polictions that operates as a real person and I am inclined to believe that Lee is the same but it seems that doesn’t count hidden agendas and secreracy seem to be what people vote for…

Can I ask who you would support as Mayor as i am still fence sitting on the issue[/quote]

I don’t deny that she is probably a nice person and real…but don’t make the mistake of thinking she is impartial, because she certainly is not. She is nothing more than a labour/union pusher…she is very much entrenched to the left as far as politics are concerned and this shines through big time on council. This why she should never be mayor…it would be a nightmare.

As for mayor…I have not made my decision yet either…I am open to all 4 that are running (all of them have positives for being elected). There are some I am leaning more towards and some who I am very skeptical of…but I want to wait for all their platforms and details to be released before I make a final decision. I hold certain things in much higher priority than others…for me the #1 issue is attracting industry and growing our tax base to lessen the burden on commercial and residential taxpayers…so whatever candidate I feel will do the most to address that issue will likely get my vote. The all-candidates forum is also something I am eagerly awaiting.

Of GOD don’t even open that can of worms…lol!

Some of my so-called “right wing” and “conservative” friends in Prince Rupert see no problem with property taxes increasing because of Citywest :smile: Because, you know, if there’s one thing that a broke city should be doing, it’s competing with Telus, Bell and Rogers!

hahaha!

How the current candidates handle the Citywest question should be an eye-opener for everyone as well. I understand 3 of the candidates already have a track record of supporting the use of tax dollars to buy a cable company, right?

Using tax dollars to buy a cable company is ok, but don’t dare ask us to use tax dollars to do municipal things!

[quote=“MiG”]Some of my so-called “right wing” and “conservative” friends in Prince Rupert see no problem with property taxes increasing because of Citywest :smile: Because, you know, if there’s one thing that a broke city should be doing, it’s competing with Telus, Bell and Rogers!

hahaha!

How the current candidates handle the Citywest question should be an eye-opener for everyone as well. I understand 3 of the candidates already have a track record of supporting the use of tax dollars to buy a cable company, right?

Using tax dollars to buy a cable company is ok, but don’t dare ask us to use tax dollars to do municipal things![/quote]

As a right-wing voter, I certainly do not agree with your friends…most people I know would not agree with them either.

The issue of CityWest and 3 (Jack, Sheila, Tony) of the candidates who were involved in supporting the use of tax dollars to buy it, should certainly be grilled on that (that is if all of them even agreed, I know Jack supported it, but I don’t know if Tony or Sheila did)…I also want to know what Mr. Brain thinks about CityWest and what he would do with it if he becomes mayor.

[quote=“bthedog”]

And none of this has to be done until an LNG project comes on line. But don’t ignore that is a problem that has been placed squarely in to the municipal responsibility. People living in small towns rarely have the “luxury” to ignore social ills.

I am not glossing over the issue and I am not denying that it is a problem and exists in this city. That being said, I still do NOT agree that the city should be financially responsible for fixing it. And you say the government has done nothing, but that is just not true, they just approved an additional 20 social housing units for Prince Rupert. This will not fix the problem completely, but it will help and at least the government has responded in some capacity.

Furthermore, the issue of social housing and issues surrounding it have existed in this city for decades…this is not a new problem and it is not something that will ever go away.

I am not against the city advocating for it or continually applying pressure to the provincial government to address it…but the city is not responsible for this problem and is not something they can fix or financially address.

Your idea of a developers tax is ludicrous and something that i STRONGLY STRONGLY oppose. An “add on” tax would kill MANY developments and highly discourage commercial/industrial activity on city land. Why would any business try to locate here if they knew they had to pay a developers tax on top of everything else? Social housing problems are NOT the responsibility of the private sector to fix and they should not be financially burdened for it either (no matter HOW much money they have). The city needs to ATTRACT business for tax purposes not scare it away with more taxes and red tape. A development tax will NOT fix this problem…it will only amplify it.

I also do not think landlords should be berated for trying to make the most out of their investments.[/quote]

Twenty NEW units? Maybe I missed the memo. But i just googled it and the The Northern View – the only reliable source for news since the closure of the Daily News – has nothing on it. If there are 20 new housing units, that would be amazing news!! :smile:

I tend to think Terrace has its priorities straight. and the developers tax isn’t chasing anyone away. That’s simply B.S. Terrace council knows full well these multi-million dollar corporations are EAGER to build in town – PTI has got no problems paying for this tax as it builds its mega work camp – and so I think your comment misses the mark… by quite a bit.

And the BC Liberals are ENCOURAGING cities to do this.

[quote=“TerriblePerson”]
I tend to think Terrace has its priorities straight. and the developers tax isn’t chasing anyone away… Terrace council knows full well these multi-million dollar corporations are EAGER to build in town – PTI has got no problems paying for this tax as it builds its mega work camp – and so I think your comment misses the mark… by quite a bit.

And the BC Liberals are ENCOURAGING cities to do this.[/quote]

Whether a developers tax to generate revenue to support social housing is a good idea or not, if candidates want to place housing rental costs high on their campaign agendas to win over voters a developers tax is an example of the kind of specifics they should be presenting.

Other than writing protest letters to express unhappiness with things that are outside of the City’s jurisdiction, which some current council members are fond of proposing, the major instruments that a municipality has are spending money, setting taxes, and using bylaw powers to encourage or control certain types of community development.

Being concerned about rental costs and willing to talk about it, if elected, through some kind of consultation process may sound good to some voters, but they’re being offered an empty box if the candidate cannot also present some specific ideas or options. There is more to being mayor than facilitating meetings.

Blair Mirau is not running for mayor, but his campaign approach, which includes specific proposals, is a good example of what is needed and is currently lacking at the mayoralty level.

It’s a big decision - while I want SGP out of the hospital I certainly don’t want to see her messing up the city as well. Remember the newspaper article where she bragged about the fact that she’s not going anywhere - she was in that position at Northern Health for the long haul? Just go back and read all the articles about her tactics with the engineers’ union and take that into consideration when you decide. There are some past postings here as well that shine some light on her disabilities.

Briglio has shown us how not to do business and more than embarrassed himself publicly - I don’t want him representing the city I love. He couldn’t get himself re-elected to council so what makes him think people will trust him with the mayor’s seat??

While younger and new I think Lee Brain is the right choice. His public speaking will improve. Because he doesn’t have the experience and false sense of achievement (or grandiose ideas) I believe there is a much better chance he will actually represent the people of Prince Rupert.

Now everyone get out and vote!!!

I hope he is not NDP Ideology … At least one time the NDP had an idea what it stood for … seems this town will vote for NDP Even if it’s a retarded monkey !!!

[quote=“jamesbrown”]

What boom ???

Can I ask who you would support as Mayor as i am still fence sitting on the issue[/quote]