Mayoral candidate Lee Brain's inspiring speech!

[quote=“TerriblePerson”]What kind of hack statement is that from this North Cowichan municipal leader? I agree that roads and infrastructure is a key component for city councils. But they are civic leaders and are thus required to represent the local interests of their people, which almost always has a social component to it. And since the BC government sees fit to dump its responsibilities on cities, it is totally within reason for civic leaders to make these issues priorities. Pipelines matter because the provincial and federal governments have no actual plans for these and have to be forced in to simple things like having a spill response plan in case of an emergency. This Al Siebring has zero credibility.
[/quote]

I disagree completely…the municipal government is not responsible for social issues or providing a political view on pipelines. Their job is EXACTLY as Mr. Siebring said.

It is the job of the provincial and federal government to address social issues, not a municipal government. These governments need to be focusing on taxation and ensuring the city can run its infrastructure and city owned properties…not whether a pipeline is environmentally wrong or right.

Since everything having to do with social housing, welfare, healthcare, support workers and other social services are funded by the province and or federal governments, it is our MLA and MP’s job to bring these issues to the forefront…not our mayor and council.

Simply saying he has no credibility is ridiculous…especially since the UBCM defeated the anti-pipeline initiative put forth by Burnaby council after his speech was made. He reminded everyone in that room what their job is…and clearly they agreed by defeating that initiative.

I think we agree that it is the job of the provincial government to step up and address social issues. Thus why it is depressing that it downloads this responsiblity on city councils (which it inarguably does – see: Terrace Affordable Housing Tax). It is not the job os city council to sit there and take it. In fact, when such inequities are hammered down upon city councils (they don’t have the $$ to deal with these issues, but are forced to deal with them anyhow) it is their moral obligation to stand up and say something.

Though you might deny it, if this city council was openly “pro-pipelines” you’d have no problem with them spouting off about it. But what business does politics have in business?

Anyway, you get my point, though you might deny it. I want a council that understand the needs of this community. Yes, for the middle and upper class, roads and infrastructure please. But for the poor, how about services that ought to be provided by the provincial government, but simply isn’t because it won’t tax corporate players enough.

Simply saying he has no credibility is ridiculous…especially since the UBCM defeated the anti-pipeline initiative put forth by Burnaby council after his speech was made. He reminded everyone in that room what their job is…and clearly they agreed by defeating that initiative.

The UBCM might have defeated the motion, but that doesn’t change Derek Corrigan’s stance on the issue. Since he routinely gets re-elected, I think it is safe to say that’s how a lot of people in Burnaby feel about the job he’s doing.

He has no credibility because what he says carries no practical weight. It’s a right-wing ideal to say government is about “roads and sewers”. That’s no longer the case. Rich Coleman sits on his fat ass while people in Terrace are renovicted out of their apartments so the landlord can put a new towel rack in the bathroom and jack up the rent by $2,000 per month. Yeah. That’s happening right now. Guess who has to step up and find housing? Terrace city council. If they don’t they’ll have a massive homeless situation on their hands. They already do in a lot of ways – people sleeping in banks at night, in school fields, in parking lots dressed up as R/V parks etc.

The same thing could happen in Rupert – and from people I talk to at the North Coast Transition House Society – it already is.

You want a city council that ignores stuff like that? Move your ass to Port Edward where that stuff gets ignored. And enjoy the 15 minutes drive in to town.

Oh man, judging solely by that quote, Mr. Siebring exemplifies what I want in a municipal candidate! If any candidates in our upcoming election want to put forward a platform that focuses on funding providing civic services without a bunch of idealistic nonsense, they have my vote!

I agree that Lee should be running for council instead. If he were, I’d vote for him. However, it’s a good point that the incumbent hasn’t released a platform either. Jack shouldn’t get off easier and in my books, he doesn’t. These two candidates so far have proven to be nothing but puffery. Now, Ms. Gordon-Payne and Mr. Briglio do get a bit of a pass because their records speak for themselves and they are later to this party. Mr Mussalem’s record speaks for itself but in a very negative way for his chances.

Attention all candidates (if you actually care which you probably don’t) here is how to get my vote:

1. Show understanding regarding how municipal government works. Making grand pronouncement for non-municipal issues is a bad idea here. Presenting well-researched action plans gets you bonus points

2. Be pro-development. I’m very environmentalist, but our city must take an “innocent until proven guilty” approach to industrial development, rather than rejecting all development first and then asking questions later . Commit to participating in whatever processes the City is to be a part of and STAY OUT of everything else. Pro tip: boycotting processes meant to give your constituent a voice in the process is a really, really, REALLY dumb idea

3. Be tough on wasteful spending and reject that taxes on the residential and small business community should be increased

4. Provide a plan for how to address the Emergency Services building debacle, Watson Island clusterfuck, and the infrastructure nightmare (apocalypse? catastrophe? evidence of economic underperformance, apathy, and gross incompetence?)

Do some of these, and I’ll vote for you. Do all of them: you’ll get a nice big campaign donation and maybe even my volunteer services.

Sigh I can dream can’t I?

Some thoughts:

1. What were Jack’s specifics for the last election and the election before that? What were Herb’s specifics? or Don’s? or John’s or even Pete’s? What will Sheila or Tony offer?

We elect a mayor who we think will be a good representative of the city, who will listen to city staff and the community, who will guide counsel through difficult decisions who will help formulate a plan and see it through. Lee is suggesting more consultation, more community involvement. He has promised specifics and hopefully they will come, but don’t knock just him because specifics from most politicians are often hard to nail down

1. During the provincial election, a person on a friend’s facebook page was encouraging people to vote Liberal because we and I paraphrase “don’t want to leave our children in debt with the NDP” and “the Liberals will encourage the jobs that our young people need.” I am not arguing her points. She was looking out for the future of our young people. But this same person is now questioning Lee’s experience or lack. In other words, we old folk know exactly what you younguns need and want.

We have a disconnect between who votes and who involves themselves in politics. The older people vote and it is their wishes that dominate. We can pretend that we are doing it for “the kids” but until we get “kids” actually involved in the system we are never going to know what “kids” want. (As a 60 year old with kids approaching 30, I am being loose with the term.) Many kids do not see a purpose in the political system and are far more likely to wait for the protest movement, the Occupy moment to have their voices heard. That needs to change.

1. Jack received well over 50% last election, but with four very capable candidates, it is highly likely that the winner will get less than 40% of the vote this time. (Oh how I wish we had a preferential ballot.) If that is the result there will be a need to consult and build consensus after the election.

Democracy is an amazing system. But with large countries and provinces we have turned to representative democracy where we place all our trust in the hands of the people we elect. For the years between elections we abandon our role as participants. We don’t have to do that with our cities especially cities the size of Rupert. We can’t expect one person with a supporting cast of six to guide us to the promise land.

This is not an endorsement for Lee Brain. I am not posting this to encourage others to vote for him (that’s his job) but despite the quality of the other three candidates i don’t see any reason to encourage people not to vote for him. Right now, I am seriously considering giving him my vote. But, I do want to endorse his idea of Rethinking how things are done. Whether you agree with his specifics or the specifics or other candidates, involving more people in the process and approaching and solving problems in a more inclusive way are well worth our consideration.

I believe specifics regarding candidates platforms will come in short time from all those now in the running.

I’m very pleased Lee mentioned the housing issue in his speech as the reno-evictions are already happening here. I know of 2 families that this has happened to and another that allowed their landlord to up their rent beyond the allowed % by the landlord and tenant board because if they didn’t pay it, they felt a reno-eviction would happen to them.

I really hope someone has some solid plans about what we’re going to do about housing here because this is almost like Vancouver where prices are getting so high that one cannot afford to buy a house and rentals are becoming few and very pricey.

I really enjoyed you post DWhite lots of good thoughts there. Not sure if the “young people vs. older people” was directed to me, but FYI I’m 26 and I think Lee is a terrible candidate for mayor. However, I think Blair Mirau is an excellent candidate for council. Youth is not a pro or con for candidacy: preparedness and relevant experience are. The difference is that while Blair’s website provides lots of good information that shows he has researched his role and the issues (not that I necessarily agree with him on all issues), Lee’s campaign has not even though both have no (really) relevant experience.

[quote=“DWhite”]Some thoughts:

1. What were Jack’s specifics for the last election and the election before that? What were Herb’s specifics? or Don’s? or John’s or even Pete’s? What will Sheila or Tony offer?

We elect a mayor who we think will be a good representative of the city, who will listen to city staff and the community, who will guide counsel through difficult decisions who will help formulate a plan and see it through. Lee is suggesting more consultation, more community involvement. He has promised specifics and hopefully they will come, but don’t knock just him because specifics from most politicians are often hard to nail down

1. During the provincial election, a person on a friend’s facebook page was encouraging people to vote Liberal because we and I paraphrase “don’t want to leave our children in debt with the NDP” and “the Liberals will encourage the jobs that our young people need.” I am not arguing her points. She was looking out for the future of our young people. But this same person is now questioning Lee’s experience or lack. In other words, we old folk know exactly what you younguns need and want.

We have a disconnect between who votes and who involves themselves in politics. The older people vote and it is their wishes that dominate. We can pretend that we are doing it for “the kids” but until we get “kids” actually involved in the system we are never going to know what “kids” want. (As a 60 year old with kids approaching 30, I am being loose with the term.) Many kids do not see a purpose in the political system and are far more likely to wait for the protest movement, the Occupy moment to have their voices heard. That needs to change.

1. Jack received well over 50% last election, but with four very capable candidates, it is highly likely that the winner will get less than 40% of the vote this time. (Oh how I wish we had a preferential ballot.) If that is the result there will be a need to consult and build consensus after the election.

Democracy is an amazing system. But with large countries and provinces we have turned to representative democracy where we place all our trust in the hands of the people we elect. For the years between elections we abandon our role as participants. We don’t have to do that with our cities especially cities the size of Rupert. We can’t expect one person with a supporting cast of six to guide us to the promise land.

This is not an endorsement for Lee Brain. I am not posting this to encourage others to vote for him (that’s his job) but despite the quality of the other three candidates i don’t see any reason to encourage people not to vote for him. Right now, I am seriously considering giving him my vote. But, I do want to endorse his idea of Rethinking how things are done. Whether you agree with his specifics or the specifics or other candidates, involving more people in the process and approaching and solving problems in a more inclusive way are well worth our consideration.[/quote]

I agree that Mr. Brains specifics in regards to how he will govern, by being more inclusive and holding monthly town hall meetings is absolutely the way to go…I 100% agree that this is the way our city politics need to be moving. No more closed door council meetings, no more secrecy. I will certainly call out those on council who ran campaigns of promises to bring open transparency to council and truly address this very much panned council attitude and then did absolutely no follow-up once elected…those people will not be getting my vote this time.

I agree that there is a disconnect with younger citizens and older people who actually vote. I am in my 30’s and have voted since I was 18, every election consistently…I feel I have fully engaged myself and I hope others in the 18-35 range will become more engaged and get out there and vote.

Just a question since I can’t remember. But was Jack Mussalem ever a councillor ?

No, but he worked for many years in the administration department.

.[/quote]

I share the concerns of your friends friend. The NDP used to be a labour focused party but they have changed their approach to become more of an environmentally focused party. You need to look no further than our own riiding with the environmentalist Rice getting the nod over labour leader Larson to see the switch. Not that it’s necessarily a bad thing but if you want business and industrial development, which is likely to create jobs and pay down debt, then the Liberals were the party to vote for.

As far as Lee Brain is concerned, his is more of an experience thing than a position, although the jury is still out on whether he’s pro-development or pro-environment. I know that many don’t like the tone of mussallems ads but it’s true, should you be breaking in a new horse when the wagon is full? No one is saying that Lee, or youth, should be involved in politics…It’s great that he’s running… But they need to be wise in their choices in how they wish to become involved. Blair Mirau will be getting my vote.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

.[/quote]

I share the concerns of your friends friend. The NDP used to be a labour focused party but they have changed their approach to become more of an environmentally focused party. You need to look no further than our own riiding with the environmentalist Rice getting the nod over labour leader Larson to see the switch. Not that it’s necessarily a bad thing but if you want business and industrial development, which is likely to create jobs and pay down debt, then the Liberals were the party to vote for.

As far as Lee Brain is concerned, his is more of an experience thing than a position, although the jury is still out on whether he’s pro-development or pro-environment. I know that many don’t like the tone of mussallems ads but it’s true, should you be breaking in a new horse when the wagon is full? No one is saying that Lee, or youth, should be involved in politics…It’s great that he’s running… But they need to be wise in their choices in how they wish to become involved. Blair Mirau will be getting my vote.[/quote]

I could not agree more.

That is good to see. I do not know Blair, but I have been following his campaign on his very polished web site < blairmirau.ca/ >.

He’s a young energetic guy who has been hitting the pavement to meet constituents, including seniors (hopefully he’ll meet DWhite during one of those get-togethers).

He has a solid education (degree from University of Winnipeg) and is working on a project management qualification. He’s been working with small businesses with positive results, is a Chamber of Commerce director and has first nations experience.

Unlike everyone else that is running (at least so far) he has a clear platform and he provides specifics.

It would be good to see Blair Mirau on the City council. Perhaps that would also help encourage greater participation by young people further to what DWhite has been talking about.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

That is good to see. I do not know Blair, but I have been following his campaign on his very polished web site < blairmirau.ca/ >.

He’s a young energetic guy who has been hitting the pavement to meet constituents, including seniors (hopefully he’ll meet DWhite during one of those get-togethers).

He has a solid education (degree from University of Winnipeg) and is working on a project management qualification. He’s been working with small businesses with positive results, is a Chamber of Commerce director and has first nations experience.

Unlike everyone else that is running (at least so far) he has a clear platform and he provides specifics.

It would be good to see Blair Mirau on the City council. Perhaps that would also help encourage greater participation by young people further to what DWhite has been talking about.[/quote]

Yes, it would be good to see him on Council. I have been following him as well and am impressed. I am impressed with Lee Brain too but I wont support him as mayor. I wish that he was running as Councillor.

Good one. I am 63 years old, but I do not consider myself a senior … unless discounts are offered.

I haven’t talked to Blair nor have I gone to his website, but I would consider voting for him just by my observations of his management of Rupert Garden Centre.

When I was in my 40s, it annoyed me when doctors, police officers, politicians and other authority type figures were baby-faced punks. Not so anymore. I am grateful that people like Lee and Blair are putting their names forward. Not sure of the closing date for nominations but I do hope that a younger person considers running for school board.

One last thought about the mayor’s race. These were the results for the last election with 35% of the electorate voting.

Jack Mussallem 1,769
Kathleen Bedard 981
Corinna Morhart 357

I have no idea how the votes will shake down this time. But 1338 people were not satisfied with Jack. This time, we have three strong candidates splitting those votes so I can’t see one of them pulling in the 981 that Kathy received. Just guessing of course, but one of them might take half or 669 votes. Let’s say, hypothetically, 769 of Jack’s votes (a pretty massive 40%) are willing to scatter off to the other three leaving him with 1000. The person who was strongest with the previous unhappy now has to take almost 50% of these votes to pass Jack. This is a pretty tall order.

Not only does one of the candidates have to distinguish themselves as quite a bit more competent and different from Jack but they have to distinguish themselves as quite a bit more competent and different from the other two to garner the significant number of votes needed to win.

Of course, there are a few thousand people that didn’t vote last time that could be wildcards. Because Sheila and Tony have been counsellors and received support in the past, I would guess that their supporters are probably the type of person who usually votes anyway. Lee is the best bet to gain new voters but all four candidates may need to work on pulling in the typical non-voter.

Should be fun to watch.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

[quote=“jamesbrown”]
He should be running as a councilor to learn the ropes while intentions may be good experience counts… “we are the world” indeed lol… His left wing following may add up at the ballot box but my vote goes to one of the other 2 candidates…[/quote]

Make that three other candidates. North Coast Review is running a story saying that Tony Briglio and Sheila Gordon-Payne have both filed as candidates for Mayor.

northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … y.html?m=1[/quote]

Huh he sure seems hungry for the job. I’ll bet he’s just chomping at the bit to get things straightened out at city hall. He will surely chew out the competition at any public speaking events. I’ll bet he will work well with the rcmp to take a bite outta crime.

There sure wonto be any dog bites man headlines under his guard.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

Yes, it would be good to see him on Council. I have been following him as well and am impressed. I am impressed with Lee Brain too but I wont support him as mayor. I wish that he was running as Councillor.[/quote]

I’ve come to agree that it would have been better if Lee ran for council, to gain experience, and also because the council needs a change, particularly to break the culture of secrecy that pervades the organization.

At the last meeting Gina Garon asked a question about the hiring of a new bylaw officer. In reply the CAO asked whether she wanted the “public answer”. Are there two answers to questions, one for the public meetings and another for when they meet in private?

[quote=“BTravenn”]

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

Yes, it would be good to see him on Council. I have been following him as well and am impressed. I am impressed with Lee Brain too but I wont support him as mayor. I wish that he was running as Councillor.[/quote]

I’ve come to agree that it would have been better if Lee ran for council, to gain experience, and also because the council needs a change, particularly to break the culture of secrecy that pervades the organization.

At the last meeting Gina Garon asked a question about the hiring of a new bylaw officer. In reply the CAO asked whether she wanted the “public answer”. Are there two answers to questions, one for the public meetings and another for when they meet in private?[/quote]

I am starting to have a change of heart regarding Lee as much as I still wish he was running for a Councillor, change may be good … I still expect that Jack will return but not as sure as i once was given 4 candidates and the split that will create. Lee is the only candidate that speaks of the rental crisis and his connection to Jennifer Rice may be good as she is just learning as well so they can both assist each other to some extent. The lack of experience isnt as large a concern if his intentions are as he sounds. Hey even if he did mess up how bad could it be? The other 3 candidates are from another walk of life and I cant see them addressing any of the social issues that are arising from this so called boom.

I think all nomination papers must be filed by tomorrow.

The last thing we need is more social workers who are tied to NDP aka Jennifer Rice,Does any one remember Ms Rice on council?She never uttered a word!And was only there for a short time!We need a mayor and council that can add two plus two,not the bunch of airheads we have now.It has been a very upsetting time,Watson Island etc.I don’t think Mr.Brain is the answer either!We can not afford 4 years to use council as a training ground!