Mayor Poll

[quote=“hitest”]

I won’t. Attack advertisements are contrived at best. All the best, Lee Brain! :smile:[/quote]

Yes the Jack era is likely over in just 8 days
Do I expect quick fixes no … but the future does need a change and Lee has certainly been working hard the rest seem silent in the community except for the signs
The advance polls have been well advertised hopefully the turn out will be more than traditional … The attack ads from Jack and the forum combined with the hard work Lee has put into this is great and honestly who else is worth the vote? I hope we get at least 50 percent new as Councillors as well

[quote=“jamesbrown”]

I won’t. Attack advertisements are contrived at best. All the best, Lee Brain! :smile:

Do I expect quick fixes no … but the future does need a change and Lee has certainly been working hard the rest seem silent in the community except for the signs
The advance polls have been well advertised hopefully the turn out will be more than traditional … The attack ads from Jack and the forum combined with the hard work Lee has put into this is great and honestly who else is worth the vote? I hope we get at least 50 percent new as Councillors as well[/quote]

Couldn’t agree with you more. I’m wondering how many people have taken the time to talk to any of the mayoral/council candidates about their concerns or ideas about how to solve some of the issues our city faces in the next 4 years?

One thing we’ve heard about over the course of the election is the need for teamwork and so while I was watching the all candidates forum I listened carefully to everyone and I then thought to myself, who is going to work as a team for the good of our community…well sorry Jack after your outburst during the forum it’s pretty clear you don’t play well with others. Sheila, you fail too since the fiasco at the hospital (and you not being prepared to answer one of the important issues facing our community) and Tony “the pitbull” I’m sorry I can’t vote for a man to represent my community who has been in fights and bit cops. Voting for Lee Brain is really a no-brainer up against this lot.

As for Councillors I feel Blair, Ray, Barry and Ravinder each have qualities/skills and vision that our council needs and would make a great team with Lee at the helm. As for the others…meh if you haven’t shown me your star qualities in the last 3 yrs I doubt you ever will…I vote for change!

The advance polls have been well advertised hopefully the turn out will be more than traditional … The attack ads from Jack and the forum combined with the hard work Lee has put into this is great and honestly who else is worth the vote? I hope we get at least 50 percent new as Councillors as well

Couldn’t agree with you more. I’m wondering how many people have taken the time to talk to any of the mayoral/council candidates about their concerns or ideas about how to solve some of the issues our city faces in the next 4 years?

One thing we’ve heard about over the course of the election is the need for teamwork and so while I was watching the all candidates forum I listened carefully to everyone and I then thought to myself, who is going to work as a team for the good of our community…well sorry Jack after your outburst during the forum it’s pretty clear you don’t play well with others. Sheila, you fail too since the fiasco at the hospital (and you not being prepared to answer one of the important issues facing our community) and Tony “the pitbull” I’m sorry I can’t vote for a man to represent my community who has been in fights and bit cops. Voting for Lee Brain is really a no-brainer up against this lot.

As for Councillors I feel Blair, Ray, Barry and Gurvinder each have qualities/skills and vision that our council needs and would make a great team with Lee at the helm. As for the others…meh if you haven’t shown me your star qualities in the last 3 yrs I doubt you ever will…I vote for change!

Woooo!!

Has the Mayoral candidates public forum been posted online yet? I would love to watch it but I haven’t been able to find it anywhere.

Haven’t seen it posted on line yet, however if you have Cable 10 from CityWest it’s being replayed tonight at 6 PM and and again on Wednesday night

[quote=“CharlesMHays”]

Haven’t seen it posted on line yet, however if you have Cable 10 from CityWest it’s being replayed tonight at 6 PM and and again on Wednesday night[/quote]

thanks my guess was that once was enough for Jack cant get it another rinse rumour

Update its on but they seemed to have skipped the mayoral candidates

My apologies to Gurvinder for calling him Ravinder - I don’t know how to edit my last post.

I edited the post for you. I hope that is okay. I can change it back if you like.

Not a problem. Gurvinder = Ravinder works too. Don’t forget to exercise your right to vote and play a role in the future of Prince Rupert

After watching the mayoral forum I came away with impression that few candidates had any solutions to the major problems in this town. I want to vote for a decision maker, someone who can negotiate with the big businesses and governments and be taken seriously and not patted on the head and sent on their way. I don’ t want to go to town hall meetings to tell elected officials the things they should know already. This is a blue collar town, people who work nights and in camps and more than one job, thats one of the reasons it’s so hard to get people more involved, they are trying to make ends and don’t always have the time. I want to vote for candidates who will focus on solving problems, so any suggestions on who fills my requirements?

You want a problem solving candidate who can make tough decisions without needing a pat on the head? I would suggest re-electing Jack Mussallem. Here’s why…

"“The City of Prince Rupert appreciates the provincial government’s support through the Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development for the inclusion of District Lot 444 into the municipal boundaries. This inclusion protects the city’s source of drinking (potable), water and will lead to sustainable growth and other opportunities.”

newsroom.gov.bc.ca/2014/05/b … upert.html

““If the referendum fails, the airport authority would not get to access lower interest financing through the Municipal Finance Authority,” added Mayor Jack Mussallem.”

thenorthernview.com/news/225981711.html

"If a referendum were to take place and the residents said no, the City would have to use the bylaw process with a counter petition and proceed as these are emergency services that must be provided for,” he added.

thenorthernview.com/news/123363303.html

"“We recognize the City has gone down this road before, however, we have never given up on our vision to repurpose Watson Island and get it back on the tax-roll. We are optimistic this project will be an economic generator that will bolster the City and create new jobs in the region.”

thenorthernview.com/news/267379231.html

"Public inquiry commissioner Wally Oppal produced a report in December 2012 with more than 60 recommendations. Among them, Oppal endorsed the 2006 report and urged the province to “immediately” commit to developing an improved public transit system for the Highway of Tears, in consultation with local governments.

“I don’t know who they’ve been talking to, but they haven’t been talking to the mayor of Prince Rupert,” said Mayor Jack Mussallem, whose community of 13,500 people is located 750 kilometres northwest of Vancouver."

m.theglobeandmail.com/news/briti … ice=mobile

“Prince Rupert’s Mayor Jack Mussallem said residents in his resource-dependent community don’t want to play a role in getting Alberta oil products to Asia”

m.theglobeandmail.com/news/briti … e20781951/

From 2012…

"Faced with fish plant layoffs, closing businesses and a vocal opposition to any property tax increase, city council has decided to set this year’s tax increase on Prince Rupert home owners at 1.5 percent, which is an extra $13.50 for every $100,000 the property is estimated to be worth.

The motion to do so was not unanimous though, councillor Joy Thorkelson voted against and Mayor Jack Mussallem had his opposition put on the record as well."

thenorthernview.com/news/148938085.html

And back in 2011…
"“We’ll continue to fine-tune the budget. A lot of people that ran for office heard overwhelmingly for a majority of people that they were concerned about the annual tax increases and would like the City as much as possible to hold the line.”

thenorthernview.com/news/136290393.html

You forgot to mention that under Jack’s leadership the pool was re-filled with water just in time for the candidates forum so that Sheila Gordon-Payne could not make another remark about an empty pool as an example of the need for greater focus on municipal services. There have also been no further boil water advisories.
northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … -earl.html

Democracy suggests that people be involved in decision making. Because our groupings (whether country, province, or city) have become so large we ended up with a form of representative democracy where we elect people to make decisions for us. And that has worked out pretty well. Except when we disagree with what our elected representatives have done or are about to do.

And unless we get really steamed (eg pipelines and start to demonstrate on the streets and even then we could be ignored) our only recourse is to write letters, or yell on radio talk shows, or be indignant on local web forums. All of which are easily ignored.

We can decide to vote for someone who can make hard decisions (maybe) and go on with our lives for the next four years or we can vote for someone who is still willing and able to make hard decisions but wants to give the rest of us access to that decision making process.

You are absolutely right that not all of us have the time or the inclination to get involved, but as a community we still should be encouraging more involvement not less.

Lee’s idea of monthly town hall meetings may be overly ambitious, but it is a good one. There are some things that we have no control over, but there are things that we do. The need for water front access or affordable housing or improved social/health services, or the development of local recreation/parks among others are all issues that will need community input.

I too want a person who can make hard decisions when the time comes. I am hoping that all four candidates and all nine council candidates have that ability. My question though is which candidate has the ability to bring council and the city together, which candidate has a plan/vision and the ability to make the decision making process proactive rather than reactive?

[quote=“DWhite”]We can decide to vote for someone who can make hard decisions (maybe) and go on with our lives for the next four years or we can vote for someone who is still willing and able to make hard decisions but wants to give the rest of us access to that decision making process.
[/quote]

Allowing the rest of us to be part of the decision making process sounds great but is it really a good idea? Not all of us are reasonable and not all of us take the time or have the the ability to find out all of the facts before making a decision, making public involvement a scary proposition. In particular, I believe that Jack was right on the money in supporting an alternate approval process for the airport improvements and for a new emergency services building. Although only one is moving forward, both needed to be done and when things need to happen, council cannot be bogged down by referendums and the possibility that projects will become kiboshed. There is a team of well paid, dedicated staff as well as 7 Council members elected who are informed and in a position to make tough decisions. If it were for a luxury like a second sheet of ice or a new pool, sure… Let’s see what the masses want, but for core services and supporting something like the airport, I don’t believe we need to get involved. I haven’t heard a single mention of having a referendum as to whether we should spend $9 million to expand the landfill.

[quote=“DWhite”]

Democracy suggests that people be involved in decision making. Because our groupings (whether country, province, or city) have become so large we ended up with a form of representative democracy where we elect people to make decisions for us. And that has worked out pretty well. Except when we disagree with what our elected representatives have done or are about to do.

And unless we get really steamed (eg pipelines and start to demonstrate on the streets and even then we could be ignored) our only recourse is to write letters, or yell on radio talk shows, or be indignant on local web forums. All of which are easily ignored.

We can decide to vote for someone who can make hard decisions (maybe) and go on with our lives for the next four years or we can vote for someone who is still willing and able to make hard decisions but wants to give the rest of us access to that decision making process.

You are absolutely right that not all of us have the time or the inclination to get involved, but as a community we still should be encouraging more involvement not less.

Lee’s idea of monthly town hall meetings may be overly ambitious, but it is a good one. There are some things that we have no control over, but there are things that we do. The need for water front access or affordable housing or improved social/health services, or the development of local recreation/parks among others are all issues that will need community input.

I too want a person who can make hard decisions when the time comes. I am hoping that all four candidates and all nine council candidates have that ability. My question though is which candidate has the ability to bring council and the city together, which candidate has a plan/vision and the ability to make the decision making process proactive rather than reactive?[/quote]

Can you clarify what you mean by “overly ambitious, but a very good idea”? I’m confused if you think this idea is feasible or not?

To me, the idea of a monthly town hall meeting is complicated and risks devaluing committee of the whole meetings where the public can actually show up, and without prior consent, ask a question to the city council. I call it “the Larry Golden Rule” and that gentleman has never had a hard time being able to ask what he wants (sometimes he doesn’t ask, he simply makes a statement). I’m not sure why the public is unwilling to participate in this venue, but might feel more comfortable in a town hall – whose date, time and locations are yet to be decided.

It’s laudable to want to give the public greater access. But that’s also what’s wrong with democracy today. The public should be demanding greater access. Instead, it’s election trope for council candidates. “I’ll make sure you have more access if I win”. That’s what Garon and Ashley said they’d do when they were elected. How effective have they been on that file?I’d rather the city get itself out of the massive debt its carrying.

Lee Brain’s platform is more than that. But a lot of the stuff he hopes to do is very ambitious and not completely realistic.

Saying that, and having given it more thought this weekend, he does at least present something of an option to the other three who have all been part of the city’s downward spiral. I would love to see how he plans to work with a council that might not be willing to play in his sandbox. Will he be able to convince them that the city has to take on housing? That the city has to hold town halls? That the city must pick-and-choose which LNG projects it supports based on his own triple-bottom line theory. Because, as much as he likes to present himself as the “change” that the city needs, he doesn’t have executive power to veto things and push his own ideas through. He is likely to need more time to gain the confidence of the council than the other three candidates. Who will align themselves with him? Who will side with him?

However, I thought long and hard about Shelly Gordon Pain’s performance at the all-candidates forum. And re-watched the mayoral section. She was stupid to react to basic city council questions such as small business and waterfront access as if city council has no role in planning the future of this city. I no longer trust her to be a socially-concsious mayor who actually cares about the entire city, but instead see her very much as a person operating for private, wealthy interests. Odd perspective for someone who was once a nurse, and is a mother. And a weird angle to play in a city that’s so left-leaning.

I can’t believe I’m changing who I will vote for. But it’s between Jack and Lee – and Lee is leading. I do think Jack has a point that Lee is very inexperienced in life. I don’t trust his lack of personal accomplishments. Spending a month with Daddy at an oil refinery in India does not mean he is an expert on industrial management. And to me, Jack was right to point this out at every opportunity, as good form in electioneering.

But Lee offers something new. Jack offers more of the same. I don’t think Lee is going to pull off a quarter of what he’s promising. But that would still be more than Jack.

If a question goes to referendum and the electors say no that does not mean that the issue can never again be considered. The council is free to revise a proposed borrowing bylaw (or other decision that requires electoral approval) and/or do a better a job of providing information and take the question back to the electors.

Alternative approval processes are more appropriate for uncontentious issues, such as the landfill expansion, where electors are highly unlikely to disagree or even be concerned.

The problem is that some on council, especially Jack and Gina, seem to think that if the electors may oppose something that by law requires their approval, it’s best to circumvent that by using the alternative approval process to make it technically difficult for the electorate to express their disapproval. That has been a general theme with the Mussallem councils: the preferred course is to avoid public participation and transparency when the law permits.

That and the more democratic view, expressed by councillor Ashley to a lesser extent Thorkelson, are illustrated in this article, cited earlier: < thenorthernview.com/news/225981711.html >.

Lee Brain’s proposed town hall meetings are a good idea if the meetings support but do not pretend to take the place of more formal decision-making processes, by the council and when elector approval is required. The public could be involved in formulating issues and priorities for follow-up, and town halls could also have a role in better informing the public when issues require electoral approval. That way the council may be less inclined to use alternative approval to circumvent more democratic processes.

You raise several interesting points, particularly around how Mayor Brain will work with the council. He won’t have a veto. A mayor can require that the council reconsider an decision within 30 days, which might prompt the councillors to change their minds.

He may have to convene his own town hall meetings (and presumably pay for the venue). There is nothing to stop a mayor or anyone else from talking to constituents outside of the formal decision-making process.

He may have to rely on his ability to generate public interest in particular issues so that councillors are pressed to state positions on issues that they might rather avoid or only discuss in closed sessions.

I am quite liking the sound of that “Mayor Brain” and I hope for at least 50% new on council … I dont think the public needs imput for every little thing we elected these people to make decisions and I wonder about the cost of the venues but I am getting so tired of closed door meeting, a new more open council will be good thing…sometimes people demand imput, yet there is lack of interest. I think Joy mentioned this at one point.

I was initially leaning Jack…then Sheila, then Tony and now I am leaning Jack again. Sheila crapped the bed during the ACF and Tony just won’t have enough votes IMO to win overall…I think Tony will end up 4th overall, which is why I am not inclined to give him my vote. For the conservative voter, Jack is the most viable option (as far as potential to win).

Some of the summaries here have reminded me that he HAS made hard decisions, ones that I almost fully agree with. I don’t know if I would have liked to see the Airport item go to a referendum…I like that the public was excluded from input on that to be honest.

That being said, he had a horrible night at the referendum and was rude/demeaning to Mr. Brain…but I think the majority of that is due to frustration that the candidates are painting him to be a mayor that does not get stuff done and does not ask the right questions, when in fact I don’t think that is very true when you really look at his record.

I also think out of Tony/Sheila & Jack in regards to who will be the biggest challenger to Lee, I think Jack will be the one who comes out as the bigger threat to defeat Mr. Brain.

This also falls in line with what I have heard around town from some people who are not voting for Mr. Brain and do not want to see him become mayor.

Right now, I think Mr. Brain comes 1st or 2nd, Sheila go 3rd, Briglio 4th and Jack will be 1st or 2nd.

[quote=“BTravenn”]You forgot to mention that under Jack’s leadership the pool was re-filled with water just in time for the candidates forum so that Sheila Gordon-Payne could not make another remark about an empty pool as an example of the need for greater focus on municipal services. There have also been no further boil water advisories.
northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … -earl.html[/quote]

You make it sound like this was directly Jack’s fault…if you wanna put blame on someone, put that on the management of the department responsible for the maintenance of our pool.