Margaret gone

Margaret Thatcher the iron maiden gone to be with Ronald Reagen forever , Rest in Peace . This an old poster from the 70’s & 80’s .

That is a classic poster! Keep the original safe JC, worth a few bucks ! Wonderful Lady, she will be greatly missed.

I did not shed a tear for Reagan when he passed and I surely will not be thinking good thoughts about a woman who, IMHO, set the civilized world back 100 years and who needed to create a bogus war (Falklands) to get re-elected.
She was also too much for her own ultra conservative party in Great Britain, the same party which eventualy threw her under a bus.

So what your saying I believe the poster does speak for itself . I have the original stashed away it is made for a Big wall and I had a print made of it . Those were scary and shitty times we had to put up with .

I liked her.

Yes the poster says it all I just had to vent

"Thatcher described Nelson Mandela as a ‘terrorist’. I was there. I saw her lips move. May she burn in the hellfires."
George Galloway

Thatcher was far from loved by the English working class.

[quote=“dafaceofanangel”]"Thatcher described Nelson Mandela as a ‘terrorist’. I was there. I saw her lips move. May she burn in the hellfires."
George Galloway

Thatcher was far from loved by the English working class.[/quote]

And happiness reigned throughout the land,

I was not impressed with her in anyway as I was not much for Ronald either , I know as Canadians we should worry about Mrs. Harpers little boy . At least I had the chance to use the old poster which I think shows the power trip they were both on during the early days.

For those who wish to participate in a heart-felt tribute to the memory of Maggie and her vision of the future - an appropriate (and global) means of expressing your sentiments is available to you.

For more details:

huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/04 … 42641.html

‘Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead’ could reach number one following Margaret Thatcher’s death

[quote]Lady Thatcher’s death could propel The Wizard Of Oz track "Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead to the top of the charts.

Those who saw her death as a cause for celebration have prompted a download surge for the track.

Within 24 hours of the former Prime Minister’s death, the song had risen to number 9 in the iTunes best-sellers chart. It reached number 2 on the Amazon singles download chart.[/quote]

edit: sorry, didn’t realize your link was the same thing, chien.

Lots of this seems really hateful in an unpleasant and disturbing way. Even if you think someone was awful politically I don’t think that gives you the right to be so disrespectful to a person you never knew and who never slighted you personally. She was an elected public servant for two decades–Prime Minister for 11 years–isn’t that enough reason to show a little respect?

I agree, but the fact that she just passed should be reason enough for some respect.

[quote=“Piknic”]

I agree, but the fact that she just passed should be reason enough for some respect.[/quote]

I suspect neither of you lived in the UK during Thatcher’s reign. If you had and were working class you too might also feel the hatred that many in the UK still feel for her to this day roughly 23 yrs after she left office.

No, I did not live in the UK during her time in office and i’m
not a member of the working class.

That has nothing to do with showing a little respect as opposed to
showing a lack of sensibility.

[quote=“dafaceofanangel”]

I agree, but the fact that she just passed should be reason enough for some respect.

I suspect neither of you lived in the UK during Thatcher’s reign. If you had and were working class you too might also feel the hatred that many in the UK still feel for her to this day roughly 23 yrs after she left office.[/quote]

Yes but we’re civilized and wishing someone dead is a pretty extreme thing. That kind of flippant attitude towards death leads to politicians putting cross-hairs on Democrat districts and crazy people shooting one of them in the head at a speech…

[quote=“eccentric”]

I suspect neither of you lived in the UK during Thatcher’s reign. If you had and were working class you too might also feel the hatred that many in the UK still feel for her to this day roughly 23 yrs after she left office.

Yes but we’re civilized and wishing someone dead is a pretty extreme thing. That kind of flippant attitude towards death leads to politicians putting cross-hairs on Democrat districts and crazy people shooting one of them in the head at a speech…[/quote]

Fascinating thread. For a couple of reasons.

First of all is the debate about Margaret Thatcher’s legacy. For good or bad, we are still feeling the effects of Thatcher’s and Reagan’ economic and international policies. The decisions they made were certainly polarizing.

But what I am finding even more interesting is the respect for the dead or the response to a death twist that this thread has taken. As much as I was not a supporter of Reagan or Thatcher and as much as I don’t see their legacies as being as great as their followers would let us believe (Republicans are still looking for a Reagan lookalike), I find the “Ding Dong the Witch is Dead” a bit excessive. But then as someone pointed out, if we had lived in Britain and been on the other side of Thatcher’s policies we might not be so dispassionate.

But, doing a quick reread of the posts, I have seen nothing particularly offensive by commentators here. The only thing that is questionable is the posting of pictures/articles from Britain proving to Thatcher supporters here that Thatcher wasn’t necessarily well-liked.

So I have a couple of questions.

How are we supposed to act when somebody dies, especially a public figure and especially a polarizing public figure. Shakespeare had Antony say “the evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones” which is hardly the truth. Name a funeral where even the most questionable of people have their faults listed along side their positive qualities? As much as I support the NDP, I thought the funeral for Jack Layton and the outpouring of praise was a little over the top. Even now, our memory of Layton seems to be clouded by his early death rather than by what he actually accomplished.

So how are we supposed to respond to the death of a public figure? Do we just allow the praise to heap up or is it appropriae to point out the faults. Do we just bite our tongue and wait for the history books or do we shout out our anger (even 25 year old anger) at the past?

Of course, we want to be respectful and sensitive. But that is my next question. If you are so angry about something/someone, how do we rein in our emotions? Just as an example, Elvis Costello wrote a song in 1988 about Thatcher in which he says

when they finally put you in the ground
I’ll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down

Now that is not the kind of thing that I would say about someone living or dead. And I wonder how Costello feels about the song now. But is it OK for anybody to make a comment like that when they feel strongly about public policy that they oppose? And would it be inappropriate for Costello to sing the song at a concert on the same day as Thatcher’s funeral?

These are not rhetorical questions. Don’t assume that I already have an answer. I don’t. That’s why I am finding some of this discussion interesting.

[quote=“DWhite”]

when they finally put you in the ground
I’ll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down

Now that is not the kind of thing that I would say about someone living or dead. [/quote]

I suspect it depends on your point of view and the experiences that you’ve endured. I doubt that old-time miners living in England feel any sadness for Margaret’s passing. I also suspect that ex air traffic controllers in the USA do not feel sadness for Ronald’s passing.

I guess all I wanted to do was share my poster which I have of both of them and yeah speak my peace about the both of them . I get to keep the poster till I go to ebay.

I find the reaction to the Baroness Thatcher’s death to be interesting. In my old age - and I make no claims to wisdom - I’m going to refer to a blog post, by of all people Russell Brand (whatever happened to the relationship that he started with the Baldwin boy in that movie?)? Brand refers to two images he had of Thatcher: one the well known public image…and the other that of a quiet individual quietly (out of the public eye) involved in a singular ritual of watering flowers which was part of her private routine.

I think both Justin Case’s poster and DWhite’s reference to Shakespeare are very appropriate. Maggie Thatcher was a public, media hyped political image: the perfectly coiffed hair, the impeccable clothing, the superior tilt of the head and the red lips against a pale skin - a very photogenic creation. She played a role and the role was that of the Iron Maiden and enacted a political and economic agenda that was divisive, degrading of others in many respects, economically harsh and promoted a wide range of inequalities. But the point is she played a role and played it to the hilt: I don’t believe for a moment that it was a role written by her but was written for her talents by the rightists of the day. The public Maggie Thatcher was a creation for a time, place, and circumstances in a nation’s history.

The private Maggie Thatcher was one she protected from the public eye…as she did in many ways her family. She did not wish it to be seen.

Who do I pay my respects too? The private Maggie Thatcher - never got to know her. The public Maggie Thatcher - somehow I think that she would welcome, with perfectly coiffed hair, a gleam in her eye, and a tilt of her head a chorus of ‘ding-dong’: as homage to a role she played - a one of the great evil characters of the last century. As to accolades to her as a private person: they will have come meaningly from those closest to her - and I expect they were paid prior to the public theatre that her passing has unleashed.