Mad Men

The thread about Splenda reminded me of just how cool that show is.  I especially like all the different things that they show people doing in that show that would leave people horrified today.  Things like smoking and drinking about every minute of every day, driving without seatbelts, letting their kids wear plastic bags over their heads as “spaceman costumes”, and using saccharine. 

Any other Mad Men fans out there?  Please note that I’ve only seen the first season, so I’d appreciate no spoilers.

I absolutely love this show!  Can’t wait to start watching season 3.  FYI, you can watch Season 2 streaming on ctv.ca

The awesome thing about Mad Men is how the show is moving through history.  Everything that happens in the background (political campaigns, ad campaigns, stuff in New York) is from the actual era. 

They go to great lengths to get the stuff as authentic as possible.  If you’ve read anything about the evolution of advertising, you’ll recognize all of the campaigns. 

Speaking of campaigns, there’s a Seinfeld reunion episode in Season 7 of “Curb Your Enthusiasm.”

Yeah, I have to say Mad Men is probably the best TV show I’ve seen in a LONG time.  Way better than a lot of the garbage you see today.  I was starting to worry about the state of TV with crap like Jon and Kate Plus Eight (which I’ve never watched and don’t plan to).  Mad Men has actual stories, good writing, plenty of intrigue, fully-rounded characters, and most of all, something unique: it shows a slice of the past without being overly nostalgic about it.  I’ll take that over any other show on right now (save the CSI series, Hell’s Kitchen and Penn and Teller’s Bullshit!) any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Yeah - I love this show as well!  I love how ‘proper’ the women are in the show too - when they are at another ladies’ house in the kitchen picking on the one woman with no husband, but doing it ‘so politely’ (no swearing or saying what they mean outright) - I love it! 

And Jon Hamm is NOT hard on the eyes by any stretch - an extra bonus hee hee!

The guys on TWIT were joking that since Mad Men and The Sopranos share some of the same writers, Mad Men episodes tend to end like the final Sopranos episode.  Heh, they’re right.