MacWorld 2008

The “no optical drive” thing seems like it could be a deal breaker for a lot of people, but that’s what we naysayers said about no floppy drive, too.

I think I’ve used the optical drive in my Macbook twice.  I’ve had this Macbook from day one (2 years?)

Once to install Leopard.  Once today to burn a CD.

The optical drive isn’t a big deal unless it’s your only computer.  I don’t think they’re targeting this as an “only” computer…

I definitely need the ports, though.  I use Firewire and ethernet a lot (instead of the optical drive!)  Ethernet is a must for the stuff I do. 

I agree, however you have to buy that usb one :frowning:.

while I was watchig the keynote, I looked at the new macbook and I thought that this would be the mac I would get my wife. I was hoping that it would be 999.99 or less
and in my mind, mig is right it needs Ethernet. Not everyware has wifi yet

I want a laptop but my itouch is doing the job good right now

Hey mig what would you rather have the MacBook air or your EEE

It’s not my EEE. 

I think I’d just rather have a Macbook :wink:

If you haven’t already spent your hard earned cash on a new “toy” here are some suggestions for:

“Resisting the urge”  from a site called Get rich slowly:

The best thing a geek can do to prevent himself from succumbing to temptation is to limit exposure to his weaknesses. It’s folly for me to submit myself to the Apple marketing machine. I know I’m weak against it, so why participate? If I didn’t know what was out there, I wouldn’t know what I was missing. I’d be satisfied with what I already have, and wouldn’t long for something new.

Here are a few ways a geek can mitigate the lust for new technology:

Avoid advertising. Beware the insidious power of marketing. You are not immune. We are all subtly manipulated in ways we cannot possibly imagine. When I watch the Macworld keynote addresses, I’m acting as a willing consumer of advertising. Don’t do this. Steer clear of advertising whenever possible.

Avoid temptation. The best way for me to avoid buying video games is to stay out of the electronics store. If your weakness is audio equipment, keep away from the stereo shop. It’s easier to avoid temptation when we don’t submit ourselves to it in the first place. If you know your weakness, don’t set yourself up to fail.

Remember it’s not a competition. You’re not going to “loseâ€

Bad advice! The economy needs you to BUY - BUY - BUY every piece of crap out there.
I didn’t go out and buy a “banana-hanger”… l never even heard of such a thing. SHE buys this shiny piece of bent wire and tells me how much she saved at Costco! And waxy little bottles of fruit and weeds full of oil. WTF is that all about?

Instead of buying a Macbook Air, I think I’ll just get a regular Macbook and one of these:

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

Buy the pro :stuck_out_tongue: