Mac: restore Terminal?

I was looking at someone’s 27" iMac the other day that would not connect to wireless and there was no terminal.
Clicking the applications/utilities folder didn’t open it. So I searched for terminal in Finder… nothing.

Is there a simple way to restore it?
Clicking on the Utilities folder should open an empty folder if everything’s deleted, perhaps a sign of some worse problem?

Click on the wireless sign in the top bar. You should see what you need there.

ifconfig, ping and ssh?

if the person has the original install discs that came with the mac you should be able to restore it that way but i would back up the drive first and save all your stuff that you need and put it back on once the os is installed again.As for not connecting to wireless try going into your system preferences click on network click on airport and click connect or if you have an a pass on your network it could be blocking it from connecting to.

Grab the Terminal app from the installation disk with Pacifist

Herbie, something is seriously wrong with the Mac if terminal.app is missing. You can’t delete it by accident. So it may just be a symptom of something else that’s happened.

I’d do the format and restore for sure. If you need help with this, with disks, etc, let me know.

Not my Mac, and the owner’s convinced himself it’s just “our” shitty Internet. Had enough of ppl like him.
Tried to convince the head tech for 5 sawmills that “our shitty internet” does not make his router give out 0.0.0.0 as the gateway. Plugs his radio into his laptop it works. Plug the radio into the router and connect you get 0.0.0.0. Must be the Internet that’s hooped. Calls every day for 5 days that it’s still not working.
Same thing with a Band Office. The router the wouldn’t pay for got shut down remotely by the guy they ripped off. Even though they can plug in before the router and it works, it’s the shitty Internet.
What would I know? I just sell shitty Internet.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1241927495.png
Pretty crappy for $33 a month, eh?

Not to be bitter or anything… :smiley:

sounds like a case of, " i just bought a new couch from you, now my car won’t start this is all your fault"

I actually had a couple like that.
Ever since you installed wireless Internet our Motel switchboard won’t work.
1980 era SX50 switchboard, Genesis (DOS) billing software, the owner’d tripped on the rug and torn out the cables. He’s still running it in on a Pentium 166 in 2011.

I’m not bitter today, I just sweet talked one of our last nightmare customers into ABC ADSL. Offered free modem (I never said NEW…) and get my radios back and $50 commission. WHEW!!! He was smiling as he left.

That was a nice PC…back in 1995. :smile: Glad you got something out of your dealings with the irritating customer.

It doesn’t happen often. But you get customers that simply deny any personal responsibility ( like 95% ) using a computer.
I had one guy slam his new desktop down on the counter so hard I thought the cards would come loose and proceed to bitch that the power switch just had a line on one side and a dot on the other, how the fuck was he supposed to know what was on and what was off. Seriously. No shit.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]
I had one guy slam his new desktop down on the counter so hard I thought the cards would come loose and proceed to bitch that the power switch just had a line on one side and a dot on the other, how the fuck was he supposed to know what was on and what was off. Seriously. No shit.[/quote]

I congratulate you on your self restraint in that situation. I’ll bet you were thinking: “You are too stupid to live”

Best tech story ever. A nerd friend of mine was speaking to a co-worker and casually mentioned that they could not use a microsoft mouse pad while running a Mac as a MS mouse pad is not compatible with a Mac. I shit you not.

[quote=“hitest”]

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]
I had one guy slam his new desktop down on the counter so hard I thought the cards would come loose and proceed to bitch that the power switch just had a line on one side and a dot on the other, how the fuck was he supposed to know what was on and what was off. Seriously. No shit.[/quote]

I congratulate you on your self restraint in that situation. I’ll bet you were thinking: “You are too stupid to live”

Best tech story ever. A nerd friend of mine was speaking to a co-worker and casually mentioned that they could not use a microsoft mouse pad while running a Mac as a MS mouse pad is not compatible with a Mac. I shit you not.[/quote]

Not to be that dick that one ups everyone but… customer calls yelling about how this is the worst operation ever and how we are incompetent because after 6 support calls we have been unable to solve his issue. The issue? Oh everything he typed on his server was in caps. Oddly enough so were all his support tickets. When he could enter them that is. Most of the time our shitty system wouldn’t let him login. Something about incorrect password but he’s sure he typed it right. I was the support desk manager at that point so I got to deal with his rage. It was actually a very good call. After a while in helpdesk type jobs you start to enjoy the angry calls.
Customers say the darndest thi gs

Edit: these are server admins so they should at least know about caps lock

Had a 70 yr od lady come in yesterday upset that her new Lenovo laptop wouldn’t download anything at all.
Fired it up and tried one and she says SEE? It’s gone!!!
So I pointed out the user/download folder and it was crammed full of filename - filename(32).
She makes the L sign on her forehead and goes DOH! DOH! DOH! had us all laughing.
Same day another said the trackpad on her Lenovo didn’t work, so my student helper tried it out and it worked fine. She came back and showed us it didn’t work. The trackpad is slightly recessed, she was running her finger on the very edge and not touching the trackpad at all. So she started on that it we’d sold her a used one because she’d called Lenovo and they said their systems did not come with Firefox, Avast, AusDefrag or Open Office. Yeah that’s right. You’re husband sat their and watched me take it out of the box and install those programs for him, even said thank you… a totally different reaction.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Had a 70 yr od lady come in yesterday upset that her new Lenovo laptop wouldn’t download anything at all.
So I pointed out the user/download folder and it was crammed full of filename - filename(32).
She makes the L sign on her forehead and goes DOH! DOH! DOH! had us all laughing.
Same day another said the trackpad on her Lenovo didn’t work, so my student helper tried it out and it worked fine. She came back and showed us it didn’t work. The trackpad is slightly recessed, she was running her finger on the very edge and not touching the trackpad at all. So she started on that it we’d sold her a used one because she’d called Lenovo and they said their systems did not come with Firefox, Avast, AusDefrag or Open Office. Yeah that’s right. You’re husband sat their and watched me take it out of the box and install those programs for him, even said thank you… a totally different reaction.[/quote]

Avast ? YUK! have you tried MSE ( Microsoft Security Essentials ) It’s way better.

[quote=“jase”]

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Had a 70 yr od lady come in yesterday upset that her new Lenovo laptop wouldn’t download anything at all.
Same day another said the trackpad on her Lenovo didn’t work, so my student helper tried it out and it worked fine. She came back and showed us it didn’t work. The trackpad is slightly recessed, she was running her finger on the very edge and not touching the trackpad at all. So she started on that it we’d sold her a used one because she’d called Lenovo and they said their systems did not come with Firefox, Avast, AusDefrag or Open Office. Yeah that’s right. You’re husband sat their and watched me take it out of the box and install those programs for him, even said thank you… a totally different reaction.[/quote]

Avast ? YUK! have you tried MSE ( Microsoft Security Essentials ) It’s way better.[/quote]

Lately I’ve been running Avira on my one XP Pro SP3 partition. Avast is a good one imo.

it’ not bad, i just found that mse finds more spyware and viruses.

Is it as good as Microsoft AntiVirus 2011?
hah hah
Everyone seems to have that one around here!

There’s another one around that doesn’t pop up any windows, just disables all your .exe files.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Is it as good as Microsoft AntiVirus 2011?
hah hah
Everyone seems to have that one around here!

There’s another one around that doesn’t pop up any windows, just disables all your .exe files.[/quote]

I use MSE on every computer, hardly have returned customers with virus problems. Can’t beat free, and can’t beat the fact that it’s rated number one right now.