Losing another great place

Closing off Exstew!

As of April 1. if ministry of forest or another gov agency doesn’t take responsibility for exstew CN crossing, CN will remove the crossing and dig ditches on either side of the tracks, I Have been told by CN to lobby our MLA for ministry of foresty to take responsibility for the crossing and the road.If you enjoy using this site and want to continue to use,please voice your opinion to your local MLA.

what about work Channel road? its a bully move to keep out people from a beautiful spot…

This is awful…no more access to one of the greatest camping spots on the North Coast…sadly you will only be able to access Extew now by boat, unless the province takes responsibility for this crossing.

I believe there is a memorial up there…it is going to be a problem accessing that now if CN goes through with this.

That crossing is probably next as the railways continue to become more congested with port activity in Prince Rupert.

So once again the suits are making their move on us , taking away what we love and enjoy . Not only does it affect us but as well our children , they are putting a limit to where we may enjoy in regards to our walks , fenced in our own little community . If we could find or knew where our MLA was we could ask her to talk with the individuals who are responsible for these possible actions against us . Maybe her office may know where she may be .

The BC ministry responsible for the forestry campsites has a contract with CN to maintain that rail crossing to Exstew. The contract expired and the government doesn’t want to continue to pay CN for the maintenance and renew that contract. That’s why they’re taking the crossing out.
Yes, you may try to find What’s Her Name and see if she can speak up.

Greetings Justin,

Here is our MLA’s contact page.

Jennifer Rice

Hard to speak up with your face buried in gravy.

She commented on the photo that is circulating on FB…
"I have been working on this issue with Skeena MLA Robin Austin, whose constituency the Exstew crossing falls within.

Here is what we have learned.

Coast Tsimshian Resources LP, a Forest Company owned by Lax Kw’alaams First Nation actually holds the crossing permit with CN. They also are responsible for the road as part of their forest license. The Ministry of Forests has responsibility for the recreation site and at this time does not have the budget or the intention to take over the permit and the liability of the road maintenance.

However, CN is putting the crossing on notice to force a resolution, so CTR has the option of renewing the permit if they are still interested in having access. The Ministry of Forests is contacting CTR to find out their intention and will keep us informed of the result.

It’s possible that CTR will hold a public consultation, but in the event that they choose to deactivate the road MLA Robin Austin and I will pursue the issue with the Ministry of Forests and urge them to allocate additional dollars for taking over the CN crossing permit and road maintenance liability for the benefit of the public.

We are clear in understanding that the site is very important to local Terrace and Prince Rupert residents who have enjoyed the area with their family for many years."

Looks like they’re on it :smile:

She posted this comment on the picture that is floating around FB:
"I have been working on this issue with Skeena MLA Robin Austin, whose constituency the Exstew crossing falls within.

Coast Tsimshian Resources LP, a Forest Company owned by Lax Kw’alaams First Nation actually holds the crossing permit with CN. They also are responsible for the road as part of their forest license. The Ministry of Forests has responsibility for the recreation site and at this time does not have the budget or the intention to take over the permit and the liability of the road maintenance.

However, CN is putting the crossing on notice to force a resolution, so CTR has the option of renewing the permit if they are still interested in having access. The Ministry of Forests is contacting CTR to find out their intention and will keep us informed of the result.

It’s possible that CTR will hold a public consultation, but in the event that they choose to deactivate the road MLA Robin Austin and I will pursue the issue with the Ministry of Forests and urge them to allocate additional dollars for taking over the CN crossing permit and road maintenance liability for the benefit of the public.

We are clear in understanding that the site is very important to local Terrace and Prince Rupert residents who have enjoyed the area with their family for many years."

Looks like they’re on it :smile:

Taken from FB:

[quote]In regards to the Exstew crossing:

I have been working on this issue with Skeena MLA Robin Austin, whose constituency the Exstew crossing falls within.

We are clear in understanding that the site is very important to local Terrace and Prince Rupert residents who have enjoyed the area with their family for many years.

Hope this helps provides some answers.
Jennifer Rice,
MLA North Coast[/quote]

Ah yes, I got the exact letter sent to my email after sending out an email. So we have all been getting the same form letter. Good though to see she’s working on it!