Longshoremen

Reaganomics Finally Trickles Down To Area Man

YA …just like what beer will do to some at 2am.
Fear and ignorance…yep bend over and make ol salty dog happy.
Salty…what do you suggest when you cant get your employer to sit down and negotiate?  What do you do when the employer wants to slash your contract?
Do you call on the “concerned citizens” of your community for guidance?
Salty do you read these posts in their entirety?

Salty has his point of view, but, he is not interested in examining the issues raised by the union.  There is no debate if one does not take into consideration varying points of view.
This thread is starting to remind me of one of my favourite Monty Python skits. :smiley:

portseattle.org/seaport/cargo/

Might as well send the crusie ship terminal their too.  All that did was cost lots money and provide a whole lot of nothing.  Sounds familar.  Like 1,000 people want to get off the ship to see 6 rinky dink shops and a coffee house.  Not like they have not done that 20 times since leaving LA while sailing to Alaska via Victoria. 

No point in having any ships in Rupert.  Not like anyone wants to tie them up or load/unload them. 

Posted on our section of the site, seems somewhat pertinent.

While a length meeting took place on Saturday, there is yet to be an agreement reached between ILWU Local 514 and the B.C Maritime Employer’s Association.

The two parties met with federally appointed mediators for a meeting that continued until two a.m. on Sunday morning, but were unable to work out a deal. However, negotiations will continue this week.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 62909.html

FMP are you really a spinoff/alter ego of salty?
I agree with your post up until the last segement…"Not like anyone wants to tie them up or load/unload them. "  The longhsoremen are paid handsomely to tie up a cruiseship…When you start talking/spewing shit…you loose your credibility.

Thanks for the update, The NorthernView, it is good to hear that negotiations are continuing. :smile:

Here’s a clip cut from US Financial News, discussing the auto bailout:

that shows how to promote and breed anti-union sentiment.
“Better than many tax-paying Americans”, implying that the unions workers don’t pay taxes, when in fact they probably pay more than their CEOs do and are among the highest payers in the whole system.
Just shining a little light on the dark spot of uber-conservatism that’s brought us three decades of big lies, cliche and newspeak. How come the ‘liberal media’ is inundated with garbage like this? Because it isn’t!

Update on the negotiations, also posted on our section of the site.

Local 514 of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union (ILWU) and the British Columbia Maritime Employers Association (BCMEA) met once more with federally appointed mediators on Friday, but an agreement between the two parties was not reached.

According to information released by the BCMEA, they tabled a comprehensive response to the Union’s proposals dated January 3, and the two sides will meet to continue discussions on January 15.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 87934.html

let me introduce myself and i wont get into all the bad taste a couple people have for my co workers and friends. i am a casual on a lower board so i get work when its busy yes. but there wont be a strike once parliament is back in by the end of the month . i know the possible job action is affecting some traffic. but the fact there is a recession is affection the traffic for the most part. also at the same time last year there was less containers right after xmas. i know that the small amount of workers here doesnt affect the vote compared to how many are in the lower mainland. so no matter how much anyone thinks we are over paid selfish blah blah. we have worked long and hard over the years to get what we can .  this town has been been in a recession for years and years now that the country says its in one now people are worrying.

this town should be used to tough times i know i am . can’t pay the buills get a job theres always jobs out there. you know how many people that can’t find work in nfld and other hard hit areas keep thier families at home and travel to other cities for weeks or months to work and feed thier families. if any town can get thru adversity i know rupert can !! :wink:

I hope this settles the issue.

they’ve been in constant meetings the last few weeks. it will be settled just a matter of when now

Did this get settled?  I hear the port is down to two days a week and only the smalled ships are getting loaded?  Maybe some roll backs are needed to help stay afloat in these not so good times.

we have been getting 2 ships a week for quite a while , the loads have been down thats the way the industry works . right after xmas last year it was slow too. something like this doesnt get busy right away .im on a lower board but  i hadnt worked in a few weeks but il get a few days this week. i’ll still live comfortably and feed my family . its been slow in other ports also.

the deutche bank has plenty of money to keep this going and pay for phase 2 . just takes time  :unamused: :unamused: