Lokitorrent is gone

looks like another round of legal action has taken down another torrent site, www.lokitorrent.com is now gone, and you get this message

This website has been permanently shut down by court order because it facilitates the illegal downloading of copyrighted motion pictures. The illegal downloading of motion pictures robs thousands of honest, hard-working people of their livelihood, and stifles creativity. Illegally downloading movies from sites such as these without proper authorization violates the law, is theft, and is not anonymous. Stealing movies leaves a trail. The only way not to get caught is to stop.

…or download peer guardian or any other blocklist program :unamused:

I find downloading dvds a waste of bandwidth…
So what are the laws, you can download music, but u cant share them?

i beleive its ok in Canada to download music right now, it was infront of the court system last spring, and http://news.com.com/2100-1025_3-5121479.html?tag=nefd_lede see we pay a tax on music you buy in the store, we pay a tax that is on blank tapes that are royalty tax that goes to the music lables.

[quote]Three years ago Canada’s copyright board imposed a levies on blank media. The cost is 21 cents per blank CD-R data or CD-RW disk, or 77 cents per blank CD-R Audio disc. The new fees for fixed media players are $2 for each device under 1 GB, $15 for devices 1-10 Gbs, and $25 for devices over 10 Gbs.

Two thirds of these levies are shared between agencies representing songwriters (SOCAN, the Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada), mechanical copyright holders (SODRAC, the Society for Reproduction Rights of Authors, Composers and Publishers in Canada), and performers (SOGEDAM). The rest is divided amongst other collection agencies. There are wide exemptions for education and law enforcement.

[/quote]

look on the net lots of news about us canadains and our cool laws, that those americans hate us for…lol

I always wondered where this tax is collected from.
I bought some CDRs once and they wanted almost twice the advertised price at the till. They told me they remove this tax from the advertised price to make it look better! We’re talking $10.50 on a spindle of 50.

So if the tax is collected at manufacturer level or distributor level, the last pile of CDs I bought were worth $1.50 a spindle wholesale… that makes smokes and booze small change as far as taxation!