LNG Conditional Approval! The boom times are coming

theglobeandmail.com/news/bri … e24927112/

Fantastic news for all the real estate owners and investors on this forum. Once the provincial and federal approvals come through (a formality because Harper and Clark want this so badly), the money will start pouring into Prince Rupert. Get ready everyone…

[quote=“investor”]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/petronas-led-group-gives-conditional-okay-for-bc-lng-project/article24927112/

Fantastic news for all the real estate owners and investors on this forum. Once the provincial and federal approvals come through (a formality because Harper and Clark want this so badly), the money will start pouring into Prince Rupert. Get ready everyone…[/quote]

Its not going to happen anytime soon. The Environmental Assessment agency told PNW Lng to go back and look at the location and how it effects the eel grass.

[quote=“Gracies Mom”]
Its not going to happen anytime soon. The Environmental Assessment agency told PNW Lng to go back and look at the location and how it effects the eel grass.[/quote]

I imagine that Stephen Harper and the Conservatives aren’t putting any pressure on the EAA. No pressure at all… Especially not just before an election and when jobs are disappearing in the oil fields.

[quote=“investor”]
I imagine that Stephen Harper and the Conservatives aren’t putting any pressure on the EAA. No pressure at all… Especially not just before an election and when jobs are disappearing in the oil fields.[/quote]

There may be some Conservative MPs who are stupid enough to try to influence the review panel, but Harper would know that doing so would be foolish. If evidence of political interference slipped out, such that doubts were raised about whether the panel properly confined itself to its statutory mandate, which is to only consider the likelihood of environmental effects, opponents of the project could have grounds to petition the Federal Court to quash any decisions resulting from the panel’s recommendations.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

[quote=“investor”]
I imagine that Stephen Harper and the Conservatives aren’t putting any pressure on the EAA. No pressure at all… Especially not just before an election and when jobs are disappearing in the oil fields.[/quote]

There may be some Conservative MPs who are stupid enough to try to influence the review panel, but Harper would know that doing so would be foolish. If evidence of political interference slipped out, such that doubts were raised about whether the panel properly confined itself to its statutory mandate, which is to only consider the likelihood of environmental effects, opponents of the project could have grounds to petition the Federal Court to quash any decisions resulting from the panel’s recommendations.[/quote]

It’s going to be interesting to see how this eventually ends : if approved what sort of time line are we looking at? any idea?

BTW Btravenn you turned off pms so i could not answer you last week.

yep the Environmental Assessment want clarification if a 20 or 50 year storm hits and what affects it would have on the eel grass, really what affect would that storm have on the eel grass without any other structure around it? bet it would be the same as if there was a dock built near it.

The panel is required to apply the precautionary principle (CEAA s4) and that includes considering the likelihood of effects from long term events.

Environmental reviews are very complex. They’re not rubber stamps, nor are they mere formalities. The Enbridge joint review set out so many conditions that it’s hard to see that project proceeding. A federal panel recommended against the Prosperity mine in the Cariboo.

As for timing of a CEAA decision, it’s hard to say.

The decision must be made within 24 months (CEAA s54(2)). There can be up to a 3 month extension (s54(3)), or longer if authorized by order-in-council (s54(4)). As was pointed out earlier the panel can also stop the clock, which can be for as long as the panel or the Minister in their opinion consider necessary, if the proponent is asked to collect more information or undertake a study (s54(6)). < laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts … ml#docCont >

This is so awesome for the Prince Rupert area. This project is going to bring 630 permanent jobs and 5000 construction jobs to this area, not to mention the spin-off jobs this will create…that is massive.

At least one of the two conditions will pass for sure…the BC Liberals fully support this project and they have a majority in the Legislature, there is nothing the BC NDP can do to try and stop this one. Also, it will finally expose our own MLA’s stance, my bet for her vote will be a firm NO…it will be interesting to watch the BC NDP turn their backs on the biggest single investment in BC history.

The other condition we will see in October when the CEAA completes their environmental assessment.

I am just glad that Petronas has committed to the project. Many believed they were going to back out because it was not economical, “Canada is late to the LNG party/20 years behind” or whatever other crap people who did not understand this specific project were spewing…clearly they have shut all of those people up. The only way they back out now is if this thing does not pass the CEAA.