Living in PR - from residents only please!

[quote=“CrazyMike”]If there is one thing you can get from this thread is that Prince Rupert is very easy to love and easy to hate. It all depends on what you value in life. Myself, I grew up here. I stayed here by choice, and I’m raising my child here. I stayed here at the expense of career opportunities. Many of them. Some people just aren’t cut out for this kind of living. If you value giant malls, endless shopping opportunities, hustle and bustle, high end theatre and restaurants, and spontaneous living… this isn’t the place for you. This is slower pace living, where you know people and they know you. You can get anywhere you want, but it costs more and takes more time. You have to plan your special events and yes, it rains. Some times… a LOT. Not as much as people like to warn people about though.

I love it here. I wouldn’t, and won’t, trade it for anything.[/quote]

there you go again, somehow, the lifers in Prince Rupert think the only alternative to big city living is…Prince Rupert…Really? If you don’t like giant malls, endless shopping opportunities and hustle and bustle…etc…you can find small town and small city living anywhere in BC …albeit with better weather!!!

I live in a small town in BC that has a harbour front access with swimming and walking areas. We have two grocery stores, a fairly busy small Main Street and some light industry going on as well. I have access to great shopping , a university and all kinds of other amenities within a twenty minute drive…after twenty years in Rupert, it was great to find another town where I feel relaxed and happy to finish raising my kids, start a new career and look forward to retiring somewhere where people are friendly and the sun is mostly shining. Rupert was very good to us when we started our careers there but it’s most definitely not the only small town on the coast that is great to live in. If you have a good job to look forward to in Rupert, by all means give it a try (we both feel privileged to have been a part of the life up there) but if you don’t end up staying there for the rest of your lives, don’t feel too bad about it either. Life is about taking chances and new experiences too!

How?

Three times “Pizza Hut” has come to Prince Rupert and I think even "Boston Pizza " a couple of times , and they have all flopped!!!doesn’t that say a lot ? Lol

It says we don’t want those crap places in this town. This town thrives off places that aren’t chain related

One thing for sure … You can always tell when it’s welfare day lol

Ditto And the same in most BC towns as some just won’t fit the new job market… I lived in Victoria for a while and wow could you tell it was welfare day…

Rupert, like any place, is what you make it. Moved here thirty years ago… for a year! Never had lived in a place where when people move away, they’d have Rupert Nights.

Clean air, clean water, big fish, big trees. No gravel roads, hence very little road dust.

Yes, it gets in your blood and you’ll never forget it. Remarkable, awesome rain. And now, how can it be so green (and then even more green)? If you love the best in Prince George, and I would say that’s UNBC, the swimming pools, Books and Company, the museums, and the parks, you may love Rupert too.

If you get here, and you are disappointed, then join a service group and hang out with the people who like to add to the quality of life until you leave. Good luck.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/10007052_701162216613835_4323984846036686600_n.png